News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I've started a new Skies... campaign now that I know what I am doing. It was much easier to gather the minimum VPs for the 1942 season this time around but I am probably a bit reckless as I have had 4 deaths already, and each of the 18 slots on your roster can only die and be replaced once, if the pilot in the spot dies a second time you are just down one pilot for the rest of the war. I need to try the evasive attack approach see if it makes things better.

My favourite fatality has been when a rising star pilot of mine got hit on the cockpit by friendly flak during an "on target" mission. I couldn't figure out how serious the cockpit hit was because next thing he did he collided into the bomber he was shooting at. the collision destroyed a wing of the bomber and the bomber with it, so they both went down.

celedhring

This game sounds awesome (and the WWII air war is one of my favorite themes) . Will certainly look for it!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

My gaming group keep having a total blast with Gloomhaven. If you don't play you're missing out!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

A slice of boardgaming heaven, that's what it is.  :)

It's a dungeon crawler with a great combat system. Very tactical, quite the brain burner.

Habbaku

John Company continues to be a lot of fun. Had a 5-player game this past Saturday and had a rather uncommon thing happen.

Setup in the game involves choosing offices in turn sequence, then randomly assigning remaining scions of player families by dice rolls. The dice this particular game ending up sending 8 cubes (out of ~16 available) to the Company's officer pool. So, turn 2 ends up starting the Company with an immensely strong army, whereas the normal result might see 2-4.

What ended up transpiring was the artificially-strong army going around conquering various Indian potentates and engaging in trade mostly to pay the upkeep for the voracious and rapidly-growing army forces involved. Sort of a flip on the old saying about Prussia--the EIC in our game became an army with a Company.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on August 27, 2018, 12:29:07 PM
A slice of boardgaming heaven, that's what it is.  :)

It's a dungeon crawler with a great combat system. Very tactical, quite the brain burner.

Indeed. A 20+lbs slice. In a developing world with content unlocking as you go, and adventuring parties where people remain individuals who work together and not act like a Borg-like collective.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on August 26, 2018, 02:25:41 PM
My gaming group keep having a total blast with Gloomhaven. If you don't play you're missing out!

That does look interesting.

However, for 140.00 to 180.00.......... :moon:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

Quote from: 11B4V on August 27, 2018, 02:24:15 PM

If you want to push around plastic toys, it will cost you.

11B4V

Quote from: Tamas on August 28, 2018, 12:28:31 AM

I'd rather it be Panzers, but each to his own.

11B4V

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on August 28, 2018, 12:28:31 AM

It uses standees actually, only plastic minis are the playing characters'. There's very little plastic in the box.

That price is probably what you find in the secondary market. There's a lot of hype around the game so it's sold out in most places. The game retails for $120 and there's a third edition on the way, so prices will probably fall again.

crazy canuck

There are probably some people in the Vancouver area I could round up for this....  :hmm:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.