News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on May 27, 2018, 02:27:23 PM
Apparently I pre-ordered Cataclysm, since it just arrived in the mail...

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-519-cataclysm.aspx

Verdict plz. I haven't paid for it yet.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

I think it looks like a really interesting idea. How it plays I ahve no idea.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

celedhring

Habbaku

:lol:

I played more John Company today. Great game. Would encourage anyone that enjoys negotiation-heavy games with a risk-management component.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

It has some pretty neat ideas.

I really like that it really embraces a strategic scale.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Delirium

Speaking of strategic, I don't see myself playing much of anything except WiF until the new Larry Harris game War Room comes out sometime early next year.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Woot - Starforce - I loved that game.

celedhring

I played it in a boardgame convention in Barcelona when I was a kid. It obsessed me so much that I tried to recreate it with cardboard and my terrible design skills, since the game was not commercially available in Spain. But the whole starships firing at each other concept was just too good for a 12 year old.

celedhring

Got around to play Great Western Trail today, which had sat on a friend's shelf for nearly half a year until we decided to give it a go (too many games...). Great eurogame.

Habbaku

:D I played that for the first time yesterday. It's an interesting mix of Caylus, deckbuilding, and worker-placement Euros. I enjoyed it and will happily play again, though doubt I'd shell out for my own copy.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

I definitely enjoyed the different mechanics implemented and how they meshed with each other. I won using a deckbuilding-only strategy, but not sure how that viable will be once we really figure the game out.
What I liked about it is that despite the game being medium-heavy-ish, turns go quick and fast, with minimal AP.

Tamas

I am contemplating running a Languish game of Cataclysm:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/125977/cataclysm-second-world-war

I'd be also quite alright with GMing, having 3 of you play, if there's interest. I don't expect us to be able to field a one player per country setup.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien