News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delirium

Quote from: Valmy on April 25, 2018, 09:44:08 AM
I am always so frustrated by 'Origin of WWII' type games. The game is always so rigged against the poor Third Republic so even with perfect hindsight you are fucked.

I am not sure that is because it was indeed rigged against France, certainly plenty of evidence to suggest that, or if it let's the French leadership off the hook for their failures in critical moments by suggesting that they were doomed to failure anyway.

In all fairness, T&T is not an origin of ww2 type game per se. It is a game that can create a conflict that could resemble ww2 but there is nothing in it that forces Germany to attack France. Or even anyone else for that matter.

On the real ww2 I think it is probably impossible to recreate the fall of France as it happened historically in a realistic simulation of the war. It needs to happen in order for ww2 to continue along the timeline but it was such an unlikely event to happen as quickly as it did that you either have to script it in too heavily or just give up on the timeline...
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Berkut

Quote from: Delirium on May 07, 2018, 02:35:03 PM
On the real ww2 I think it is probably impossible to recreate the fall of France as it happened historically in a realistic simulation of the war. It needs to happen in order for ww2 to continue along the timeline but it was such an unlikely event to happen as quickly as it did that you either have to script it in too heavily or just give up on the timeline...

I am one who absolutely cannot stand the evaluation of history with hindsight thing.

Stuff like "ZOMG the Allies would have lost the war if the German took Amiens!" stuff annoys me. It is so completely fallacious.

On the other hand....the German victory against France, at least the speed of it, was so incredibly avoidable it is still rather boggling that they let it happen.

And it doesn't take hindsight to see it, either. There were contemporaries at the time who said, over and over again, "Hey, that Maginot line thing seems nice, but....".

Yeah, I don't see how you can recreate that without forcing the French player to be as blind, ineffective, and clueless as Gamelin. And how could that possiblly be any fun?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: Delirium on May 07, 2018, 02:35:03 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 25, 2018, 09:44:08 AM
I am always so frustrated by 'Origin of WWII' type games. The game is always so rigged against the poor Third Republic so even with perfect hindsight you are fucked.

I am not sure that is because it was indeed rigged against France, certainly plenty of evidence to suggest that, or if it let's the French leadership off the hook for their failures in critical moments by suggesting that they were doomed to failure anyway.

In all fairness, T&T is not an origin of ww2 type game per se. It is a game that can create a conflict that could resemble ww2 but there is nothing in it that forces Germany to attack France. Or even anyone else for that matter.

Eh, why recreate it to get the historical outcome in a game. Boring, read the book instead.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Ordered Lobotomy. I've always liked old insane asylums as a horror setting (so many good angles, plus the knowledge that reality was pretty bad even without any supernatural hijinks adds a certain frisson), and watching American Horror Story inspired me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Some recent acquisitions. Having a hard time finding Fifth Corps.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

:mmm: SPI

I got yelled at for buying Avalance Press games.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 11, 2018, 07:55:12 PM
:mmm: SPI

I got yelled at for buying Avalance Press games.

Those AP games are nicely done. Red Para is a one mapper and 980 counters. :licklips:

The Brain

Lobotomy looks really cool, but they certainly should have proofread the rules. I mean I think I can understand the rules but why go to print with obvious stuff like missing half-paragraphs etc?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Delirium

Quote from: Delirium on April 24, 2018, 01:51:09 PM
Well, I am waiting for World in Flames, Collector's Edition! We have nine guys at the local club eagerly anticipating its arrival and the start of a brand new Global War campaign (of course). Really excited about this, been almost ten years since my last bout with Wallets in Flames.  :bowler:

Will play the US, by the way.

And we have just finished the November/December turn of 1939. It is magnificent.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Berkut

Are you playing the Super Deluxe Collectors Edition?

0 rows returned

Maladict

Quote from: Delirium on May 24, 2018, 02:53:59 PM
Quote from: Delirium on April 24, 2018, 01:51:09 PM
Well, I am waiting for World in Flames, Collector's Edition! We have nine guys at the local club eagerly anticipating its arrival and the start of a brand new Global War campaign (of course). Really excited about this, been almost ten years since my last bout with Wallets in Flames.  :bowler:

Will play the US, by the way.

And we have just finished the November/December turn of 1939. It is magnificent.

I guess playing the US you don't actually have to show up until 2020 or so?

Delirium

Quote from: Berkut on May 24, 2018, 05:27:09 PM
Are you playing the Super Deluxe Collectors Edition?

Nah, not the Super, only Deluxe. Nothing in the "Super" kit was newly made, only the "old" America and Patton in Flames, plus Days of Decision III.

The Deluxe deal included everything new. Only 299 AUD!

Delirium

Quote from: Maladict on May 25, 2018, 05:06:54 AM
I guess playing the US you don't actually have to show up until 2020 or so?

I also play France and China, plus all around consultant for the CW and USSR players, who are less experienced.

Maladict

Quote from: Delirium on May 25, 2018, 02:18:15 PM

I also play France and China, plus all around consultant for the CW and USSR players, who are less experienced.

I'm just jealous really  :(

Berkut

Apparently I pre-ordered Cataclysm, since it just arrived in the mail...

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-519-cataclysm.aspx

0 rows returned