Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Double meh.  I wonder about that guy.

Ed Anger

:lol:

His font choices are... Unique. At least with the one inch counters, it sorta negates the random font he picked off of a cheap Chinese CD.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Not interested

However, At any Cost is slated for release in December.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Delirium

Me and some friends have become enamoured of Axis and Allies Anniversary Edition.  :blush:

Never really bought into the A&A thing before but this particular design has a seemingly well-deserved reputation as being the tightest of them all. Still wild, obviously, but close enough to a WW2 for my taste and I would rather play this than Triumph and Tragedy, for example.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Tamas

Quote from: Delirium on November 24, 2017, 10:54:55 AM
I would rather play this than Triumph and Tragedy, for example.

Elaborate please.

CountDeMoney

Delirium likes little boats and soldiers in his games.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on November 24, 2017, 11:03:44 AM

Elaborate please.

Barf, vomit, wet splashes, etc.

T&T is as close to WW2 as Axis and Allies is, at least.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on November 24, 2017, 12:36:25 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 24, 2017, 11:03:44 AM

Elaborate please.

Barf, vomit, wet splashes, etc.

T&T is as close to WW2 as Axis and Allies is, at least

But T&T lets the tiki torch crowd kill Jews without, you know, really killing Jews.

ESSENTIAL WORKER PLACEMENT

Delirium

I take some comfort in knowing that I actually get to play hex and counter wargames with real opponents. OCS Blitzkrieg Legend once a week thank you very much. My credentials are unassailable.  :bowler:

And because of that I am not ashamed to say I like this particular Axis and Allies incarnation.  :showoff:

Anniversary Edition has some adjustments that makes it more like WW2 (most notably more spaces in Russia and China). Also I like that Italy is a separate country, maybe not as fun if you're the sixth player but makes for some fun twitches in the turn sequence. Here is a good review of pro's and con's: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/157545/axis-allies-anniversary-edition/discriminating-gamer-axis-allies-anniversary-editi

Triumph and Tragedy leaves me fairly cold. I suppose it is a good design (Besinque has done some interesting stuff, I like his Front games, good use of blocks) but it is essentially just a very abstract card game that has a 1930's-40's feel to it which could lead to any style of war (West plus Nazis vs USSR) or no war at all and Germany wins by nuclear bomb development. There is freedom in that but it is not a wargame and it has very little to do with WW2. So it is obvious that Axis and Allies is more WW2 than T&T just by that criteria alone.

Anyway, when I feel like killing stuff for shits and giggles I break out A&A, when I feel like playing cards in silence I let myself be talked into playing T&T.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Delirium

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Delirium

THEY ARE SOLDIERS WITH BIG GUNS NOT MEEPLES