News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Has anyone tried this one: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/214758/n-napoleonic-wars

I am tempted but there are no rules online and I am not going to buy it blind.

Ed Anger

What the hell, the system plays the French? Bleh.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 24, 2017, 08:04:21 PM
What the hell, the system plays the French? Bleh.

:bowler:

It seems really interesting, but I have to read bloody rules questions to get an idea of how it works.

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

My brother bought me Star Wars: Rebellion for my birthday and we played it for the first time yesterday. Even though many rules mistakes were made, a blast was truly had. What a great game, particularly if you're a fan of the saga.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on September 17, 2017, 08:33:53 AM
My brother bought me Star Wars: Rebellion for my birthday and we played it for the first time yesterday. Even though many rules mistakes were made, a blast was truly had. What a great game, particularly if you're a fan of the saga.

Nice. I have it but haven't played it yet.

Delirium

Yep, a truly great game. Nostalgia that works. I didn't really want to like it at first because it felt like another one of FFG's licensed SW products rolling off the line, next one due in a couple of days. The mission assignment mechanism can be a bit awkward to explain to beginners but it has a lot of depth and fun strategies. Reluctant hats off to the designer here. Only downside is the combat system tends to bog down the game and feel a bit clunky but I hear they are introducing a new combat system in the expansion (which I otherwise do not care about...Rogue One? Really?). Old movies FTW.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Delirium

And in other news I've been focusing a lot on OCS recently. Tried it a few times before but never really grokked it, but finally the penny dropped as it were and I can see the fabolously intricate design behind it all. Probably due to Mr Kisner coming in to organize things a bit differently and also the Operational Matters magazine, those articles really helped with understanding the vaguaries of modes and barrages on various occasions in the SoP.

Played Sicily II recently at a convention, have a game of Tunisia II going. Bought The Blitzkrieg Legend and Beyond the Rhine is on its way. Still reluctant about those big ass east front games in the series, plus I don't really like Russians.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

celedhring

Quote from: Delirium on September 19, 2017, 02:39:29 AM
Yep, a truly great game. Nostalgia that works. I didn't really want to like it at first because it felt like another one of FFG's licensed SW products rolling off the line, next one due in a couple of days. The mission assignment mechanism can be a bit awkward to explain to beginners but it has a lot of depth and fun strategies. Reluctant hats off to the designer here. Only downside is the combat system tends to bog down the game and feel a bit clunky but I hear they are introducing a new combat system in the expansion (which I otherwise do not care about...Rogue One? Really?). Old movies FTW.

Yeah, our only "but" is that big battles tend to drag for a bit long. But it's a really solid game. The theme truly comes to life in the way the game plays, which is great for a fans like me and my brother, which also are fans of boardgaming.

The Brain

A while ago I got AVP: The Hunt Begins, and it was one of those games that didn't know if it was a boardgame or a miniatures game. It came with figures that needed assembly and the box was weirdly flat and wouldn't fit finished figures in any good way. I recently got into Aliens stuff again (has happened several times over the years, I have a bunch of figures and a couple of APCs painted, colonial marines are Copplestone Castings and the Aliens GW Tyranids), so I finally started assembling the models. I also noted that they had released a 2nd edition of the boardgame so I checked it out and bought it. For the 2nd edition they appear to have listened to critics and done their homework, the box has a more standard shape and the figures are one-pice, more dynamic, color-coded to factions, and fit into their specific positions in a foam inset. Supposedly they also tweaked the rules a bit, but since I've never played the game I don't know much about that. Anyway, the point is that AVP: The Hunt Begins 2nd Ed is playable as a boardgame out of the box.

As for my work on Aliens models, that's for another thread.

garbon

Aren't most board games designed to be playable outside of the box? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on September 25, 2017, 03:30:21 PM
Aren't most board games designed to be playable outside of the box? :hmm:

You're a box.