And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on July 08, 2017, 04:55:35 PM
DG seems to lead the pack on remakes.

That's because they have the rights to SPI titles.  And I don't think anybody under the age of 50 even works there.  One day it's going to collapse like an abandoned mining town, last person alive roll the phones over, please. 

Ed Anger

I just wish DG would do regular reprints of SPI games without fucking with them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on July 03, 2017, 04:31:25 PM
Surprise package from Legion. Forgot I preordered Demyansk Shield

http://legion-wargames2.mybigcommerce.com/demyansk-shield/

So, what's the down low on this.  I like Vance Von B designs.

Ed Anger

Maps don't fit in the guard shack.

Ed Anger

My son Michael is now officially a wargamer. Sci-fi games for now, but in a couple years he'll be pushing panzer divisions around on a map. But Ogre will do for now.  :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 16, 2017, 08:14:55 PM
but in a couple years he'll be pushing panzer divisions around on a map

How do you know?  Maybe he'll be into dolls by then.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 16, 2017, 08:35:59 PM

SHUT UP

frunk

My son Michael is now officially a wargamer. Sci-fi games for now, but in a couple years he'll be pushing panzer divisions around on a map. But Ogre will do for now.  :)

I remember in grade school wanting to draw an Ogre for an art project.  I think when I asked my art teacher what the back end of an ogre looked like he might have misunderstood me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 16, 2017, 08:37:05 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 16, 2017, 08:35:59 PM

SHUT UP

If he starts playing Euros, beat him.  Beat him.  Not like before.  But bad.

Ed Anger

I found a bag of meeples under your bed son. *gets a switch* This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 17, 2017, 07:51:32 AM
I found a bag of meeples under your bed son. *gets a switch* This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you

Then don't discpline while drunk.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Delirium

Has anybody looked at the new Saipan game from Compass? A series of Marianas games and a new system (Company Scale System), and looks really good to me. On the downside is that there are no rules online (always a negative in my book) PLUS at least two of Mr Starkweather's products have been more or less flawed on release (War of the Suns and The Greatest Day)...  :hmm:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/220331/saipan-bloody-rock
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

Yeah, I have it. Of course I have it.

WotS suffered from a rulebook that was printed with about 80% of editing, but what in particular was flawed about TGG, other than it being GTS 2.0?

Delirium

On TGD, I haven't played it myself, but at two conventions our neighboring tables played it and were really struggling with the different rulebooks, I didn't listen to the details much, I admit.

So how are the rules to Saipan?
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

It's not a big, and therefore not as clunky from a mechanical point of view.  As far as the rules go, I like this iteration better--so many more examples throughout the book than the MMP productions.  Section on Line of Sight?  There's a boxed off Line of Sight example. Personally, I like it. 

I think what this system will benefit from as opposed to GTS is that Starkweather is approaching it as a system from the outset--designing the very specific nature of the forest first, and then addressing the trees.  While that may have been the objective with GTS, I think there was enough design feedback between Devil's Cauldron and Where Eagles Dare to warrant the kind of changes that The Greatest Day wound up introducing (nevermind the sheer number of differences in the nature of the battles).

I've given up on arguing the issue of rules in modern wargaming design:  between the Assburger Nation that needs shiny colors and shapes to keep their attention, to the engineer/systems types that need to learn their way or it's no way at all, between the publication cycle that no longer allows for proper play testing, and a lack of resources that do not allow for game developers let alone editors, it's always going to be horseshoes and hand grenades.

In the end some systems (that work) are easier to learn than others, because some designers are better than others when it comes to their rules. For every Mark Mokszyck, there's a Dave Dockter.