News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: HVC on August 21, 2017, 05:20:42 PM
The rock didn't break the ice so they realized it was frozen over.

Good to see the writers mining Disney's Ice Age for script ideas.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Admiral Yi

Streaming the episode right now.  Thought the red shirts would last just a *little* longer.

Josephus

One more thing about that last episode. So there they are stranded on that rock on the ice, and they are very cold, right?

Yet, they have a guy who can light his sword on fire.  :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Isn't it just a bit of razzle dazzle and ye old lighter fluid? I can't imagine that provides much heat :D .

The chains though, do they just carry around giant anchor chains in case?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Liep

Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2017, 03:44:59 PM

I also wondered how they got it around the dragons head. Earlier in the episode all the zombies sank when hitting the water, and those who had time to stop avoided it against orders. Suddenly they can swim and handle heavy chains on the bottom of the lake?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2017, 03:44:59 PM
Maybe it was a trap.  They had chains, and the Night King had exactly 3 spears, for 3 dragons.

I thought the one zombie who survided the Walker's death was a slight scenaristic failure, but what if that was totally convenient to give them the illusion they captured one and bring Daenerys to the rescue?  Worst case scenario, they freeze, die and join the army.  Best case, he gets 3 dragons.

Also, I don't think they can swim.  But they can walk.  They don't need to breathe.  So they just fall down with the chains, tie it down, let the others to the work.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

I don't think the presence of chains in the army of the dead was the least plausible plot element present.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 24, 2017, 10:38:20 AM
I don't think the presence of chains in the army of the dead was the least plausible plot element present.
there many things that didn't add up.  I'm trying to have faith that it was on purpose.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

I wonder if the chains could be explained away as part of siege equipment for the wall.

Josephus

And it's not unreasonable to suppose they heard about the Dragons, and came prepared.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on August 24, 2017, 01:24:12 PM
And it's not unreasonable to suppose they heard about the Dragons, and came prepared.

Or that the final scene takes place much later, after somebody rode back to get a shitload of chains.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on August 24, 2017, 01:29:15 PM
Quote from: Josephus on August 24, 2017, 01:24:12 PM

Or that the final scene takes place much later, after somebody rode back to get a shitload of chains.

Rode back....where?

Of course, we probably should not think too much about what kind of infrastructure, support, and societal structures and foundations undead armies might have at their disposal.

Like, who makes their weapons? Are there Night King moms and dads and civilians out there somewhere? Are there those blue eyed blacksmiths out there somewhere to be diverted from making shitty weapons for zombies to making giant chains? And miners for the ore needed? What do they all eat, anyway?

What is taking them so damn long, by the way? Seems like they've been marching south for...years and years now? The Nights Watch rode out from the wall, fucked around for a while, ran into them, rode back to Crastors, had a mutiny, stumbled back to the wall...and that all happened, according to the age of Gilly's child, literally years ago. It would seem that even at the slow, shambling pace of the walkin dead, they should have reached the wall by now.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned