News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

On Sanderson, what would be a good first book of his to read? Though I listened to his podcast about writing I don't think I have read anything by him. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 18, 2018, 12:42:12 PM
Sanderson is more-workmanlike than GRR & also way more talented.

Yes and noooooooooooooooooooooo.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

The Final Empire or Elantris.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Yeah, no he isn't.

Not even close to Martins talent level.

DOn't get me wrong, I really like Sanderson. He is a excellent writer.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Is he at least more talented than Robert Jordan?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on May 18, 2018, 01:47:36 PM

Yeah, no he isn't.

Not even close to Martins talent level.

DOn't get me wrong, I really like Sanderson. He is a excellent writer.

Books 1-3 and perhaps 4, I agree with you completely.  The last efforts, not so sure.

grumbler

Less than six weeks to go, now, and a trailer (and breakdown):
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2019/3/5/18252099/game-of-thrones-season-8-trailer-breakdown-questions

Time to start binging to bring yourselves up to speed.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: grumbler on March 05, 2019, 09:01:29 PM
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2019/3/5/18252099/game-of-thrones-season-8-trailer-breakdown-questions

Yeah, I'm rewatching Season 7 again.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Maladict

Haven't watched it since early season 3, wondering if I should see how it ends and go straight into s8.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maladict on April 13, 2019, 12:01:44 PM
Haven't watched it since early season 3, wondering if I should see how it ends and go straight into s8.

I would not recommend that.

Quote from: Josephus on March 06, 2019, 01:26:25 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 05, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

Yeah, I'm rewatching Season 7 again.

I watched the last episodes of 5,6 and 7 to get ready, it was great fun :)

Josquius

First reaction, I hope this episode isn't a image of things to come. So many scenes with awful lighting where you couldn't see what was happening.

Was kind of expecting an Aladdin/Snowman-esque dragon ride around the whole world for a minute given we've seen they can cross continents in hours.

Story wise....Why hasn't the obvious Danni-Jon marriage solution came up right away? Instead its all 'oh its treason'. That would have been a solution even with Jon just as king in the north.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on April 15, 2019, 03:59:21 PM
Was kind of expecting an Aladdin/Snowman-esque dragon ride around the whole world for a minute given we've seen they can cross continents in hours.

This is a very common complaint and I don't understand it.  Clearly, they skipped scenes of the guys on the island standing around, bored, for the days or so it took for the ice to freeze solid again, but it clearly was a long time by the fact that they had gotten bored by the time Dani finally showed up.  Remember that this whole thing was a trap by the Night King to lure in a dragon so he could get one and destroy the wall with it.  It took as long as it took for the dragons to get there.  Arguing that it was only "hours" seems silly and just looking for things to complain about.

If you ant to complain about a plot loophole, complain about the idea that the North, where horses haven't been common, is finding fodder for 100,000 Dothraki horses in the midst of the worst winter in a thousand years.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

saskganesh

Don't those 100,000 Dothraki have remounts too?
humans were created in their own image

Solmyr

It's not any better in the books, really. I mean, Khal Drogo's khalasar alone apparently had 40000 Dothraki (plus non-fighting members), and their diet is horse meat. Someone on youtube calculated that they'd eat all the horses in the Dothraki Sea in a couple of months.