News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

That would be a logical political result actually.

Hey we know we are getting at least one more book. He has to be close to finishing that damn thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 31, 2017, 11:44:06 PM
If Martin follows the historical cues of the 16th century, on which he has explicitly based large parts of his  story, there should be a move toward greater, "absolute", power of the monarch.

White Walker Enlightened Absolutism!!! :w00t:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Tamas

So I wonder if it will be declared misogynist when a strong female lead for 7 seasons will be cast aside as the ruler of Westeros and will only sit on the throne on the merit of marrying the male king :P

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on September 01, 2017, 04:14:57 AM
So I wonder if it will be declared misogynist when a strong female lead for 7 seasons will be cast aside as the ruler of Westeros and will only sit on the throne on the merit of marrying the male king :P

One of Jon and Dani will be dead by the time Season 8 ends, so the issue is moot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Josquius

Even if not they're set to hook up so who cares who is actually the monarch and who is the consort.
Though Jon quite publicly said he sees Dany as the queen, which makes things awkward now, I had previously thought the solution seemed somewhat simple with the king in the north marrying the queen in the south and their child reuniting the kingdoms.

Of course the way things are going in the north it's unlikely there will be a north at the end of things.
Sad to see the TV show seems set to go down a generic evil defeated path. I was sure there was more to the walkers than met the eye and a peace treaty would be worked out. Oh well.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on September 01, 2017, 05:34:27 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 01, 2017, 04:14:57 AM

One of Jon and Dani will be dead by the time Season 8 ends, so the issue is moot.

What's the thinking on this?  It seems like the entire saga has been leading up to Jon and Dany hooking up, defeating the White Walkers and re-uniting the Kingdoms.  Sure GRRM liked to throw out some headfakes, but this one has been pretty consistent.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

I think that's far too traditional fantasy for GRRM to end on. The whole series has subverted trope after trope. No way does he use one of the biggest ones to end his story.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

I think neither Jon or Dany get the throne. The bitter sweet ending is Cersei being the one left to reign.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

GRRM has said that the ending is very bittersweet, and that the story here is a repeat of past history.  Azor Ahai had to sacrifice his love in order to get the powers he needed to defeat the Night King 8,000 years ago.  One of the two lovers will have to lose the other in order to win this time around.  I'm thinking it happens on dragonback.  My guess would be that Dani is the one to die ( pregnant Dani, to boot).

Cersei will die.  The prophecy has been introduced and has been shown to be true.

I don't think the survivor of DaniJon will sit on the Iron Throne.  He or she will be too broken to want it.  Maybe Sweet Robin ends up the heir to it all, or Sansa.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Eh. We'll get it when we get it. I just want book 6.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

You will get book 6 for sure.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Solmyr

You can probably write Book 6 yourself at this point.