News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on December 01, 2017, 03:31:34 PM
It will be fascinating to see how the Court deals with this. Whichever way it goes, it is likely to be a landmark case.

Not necessarily.  The frustrating thing about this case from TWU's perspective is they went through this very exact fight back in 2001.  TWU vs BC College of Teachers.  There the SCC held that since there was zero evidence that the prospective teachers trained at TWU would be any less qualified, that the religious rights of TWU outweighed the potential discriminatory effect of the Code.

So, IMO, the correct decision ought to just be to re-affirm TWU 2001.

In order to hold otherwise they have to somehow distinguish lawyers from teachers, or they have to hold that TWU 2001 was wrongly decided.  And I know our view of gay rights has changed over the years, but 2001 was still a pretty progressive time.  I mean Vriend had already been decided at that point, which read in gay rights to the Charter.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2017, 03:48:29 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 01, 2017, 03:31:34 PM
It will be fascinating to see how the Court deals with this. Whichever way it goes, it is likely to be a landmark case.

Not necessarily.  The frustrating thing about this case from TWU's perspective is they went through this very exact fight back in 2001. 

No.  It is not exactly the same.  As I pointed out in my first post, it is similar but there are important differences.  In the 2001 case the Teacher's college made the determination that educating teachers from a Christian perspective was not proper.  In this case no one is taking issue with the academic quality of the proposed law school.  The whole of the argument is centered on the discriminatory impact of the code of conduct and whether the law societies have the ability to balance charter rights when making the accreditation decision for the law school under their statute.  The teacher's college clearly did not.

This will certainly be a landmark case.

Monoriu

Looks like Trudeau is coming over.  I hope he likes Peking Duck  :)

saskganesh

Patrick Brown, the newish PC leader in Ontario (and former Harper backbencher) is making the media rounds in anticipation of the next election. And he sounds ... reasonable. If he keeps that up, he'll probably get elected, confounding the hardcore right.

humans were created in their own image

Malthus

Quote from: saskganesh on December 04, 2017, 11:58:13 AM
Patrick Brown, the newish PC leader in Ontario (and former Harper backbencher) is making the media rounds in anticipation of the next election. And he sounds ... reasonable. If he keeps that up, he'll probably get elected, confounding the hardcore right.

The Libs need to paint him as a disguised social conservative wolf in sheep's clothing to win.

He's certainly doing all he can to deny that label, though. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

A couple of interesting developments today - on the Federal level, the Libs have decided to take only 25% of the tax revenue on pot up to a maximum amount to offset their costs.  The rest goes to the provinces in which the pot is sold.   Good move as the brunt of the cost will be borne by the provinces.

In BC the NDP government just announced approval of the Site C hydro project.  I think that was the wise decision.  The regulator released a report saying the alternatives did not have the same reliability and likely would cost more (especially when factoring in the cost of purchasing power when alternative power was not sufficient to meet demand).

A pretty good day for rational political decisions.  Now back to watching the US train wreck. :D

Jacob

Nice to hear.

What's your take on the NDP gov so far?

crazy canuck

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised.   :)

crazy canuck

The loss of the South Surrey byelection has got to be worrying for the Conservatives.  A riding that normally votes Conservative went Liberal even with all the recent difficulty the government has had.

The NDP have got to be worried as well.  While they were never going to win any of these seats, they lost a lot of the support they had. 

Grey Fox

Canada's 15th richest man, Barry Sanders, has been found dead along with his wife in their house.

That's a shake up in the Canadian 0.01%.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Pity. He was a hell of a running back.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

So Jason Kenney will now be in the Alberta Legislature.  He won a by-election.

It's no surprise that he won.  It was picked as a safe seat by the UCP, and they had the sitting MLA resign.

What was a surprise was the margin he won by - he took 72% of the vote.  Second place was the NDP, who won 17%.  In a contested election I don't recall anyone ever winning that much of the vote.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 15, 2017, 06:56:14 PM
Canada's 15th richest man, Barry Sanders, has been found dead along with his wife in their house.

That's a shake up in the Canadian 0.01%.

Who? Oh, you mean Barry Sherman?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Oh good. Glad to hear Barry Sanders is ok.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."