News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on May 27, 2017, 07:37:14 PM
Andrew Scheer wins Conservative leadership: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-leadership-race-winner-1.4134575

Scheer isn't terrible.  I did rank him on my ballot (and I only went to the top five). But he just has the flavour of being a dull, compromise candidate.  It's telling he trailed on every ballot except the last one.  He has my support, but not my enthusiasm.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

The results show a Conservative party deeply divided.  It will be interesting to see if Scheer is the Harper 2.0 that is advertised and can hold it all together or whether the Reform extremists in the party will overwhelm him.  Harper could keep them in control because he had been one of them.  But I am not sure a young Scheer can.  We will see.

One troubling thing is he seems to have American influenced speech writers - from the CBC report - "Scheer promised to keep the party true to its roots, working for average Canadian families and not "Ottawa insiders."  What does that mean?

The other troubling thing is he is against carbon taxes.  He says the Conservatives need to develop a climate policy so I will hold judgment to see what that is.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 28, 2017, 08:23:48 AM
The other troubling thing is he is against carbon taxes.  He says the Conservatives need to develop a climate policy so I will hold judgment to see what that is.
At this point, the damage is done.  Going the other way would not have positive effects compensating the negatives of the tax.

I would offer all the provinces an opt-out if they develop their own system though.  Quebec, Ontario and Alberta aren't affected by the tax, so in the future, if another province wants its own system, let them out.

If the government truly invests the revenues from this tax into R&D for a green economy (I highly doubt it, it's not what Quebec has done, and it does not look it's what your party aims to do either, prefering expensive trips over the global economy), it would be positive though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 28, 2017, 08:49:16 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 28, 2017, 08:23:48 AM
At this point, the damage is done.  Going the other way would not have positive effects compensating the negatives of the tax.

I would offer all the provinces an opt-out if they develop their own system though.  Quebec, Ontario and Alberta aren't affected by the tax, so in the future, if another province wants its own system, let them out.

If the government truly invests the revenues from this tax into R&D for a green economy (I highly doubt it, it's not what Quebec has done, and it does not look it's what your party aims to do either, prefering expensive trips over the global economy), it would be positive though.

Not sure what you are referring to.  The BC carbon tax works as designed.  It is tax neutral while putting a higher cost on carbon.

Monoriu

I don't know much about this Scheer guy, but a quick google suggests that he isn't a Canadian Trump.  I am relieved  :sleep:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Monoriu on May 28, 2017, 08:01:25 PM
I don't know much about this Scheer guy, but a quick google suggests that he isn't a Canadian Trump.  I am relieved  :sleep:

It is not much comfort if someone passes that low bar.  For sure Scheer is no Trump.  But he was backed by social conservatives and so it will be interesting to see what his platform of "freedom of expression" means.

saskganesh

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 28, 2017, 09:51:19 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 28, 2017, 08:01:25 PM

It is not much comfort if someone passes that low bar.  For sure Scheer is no Trump.  But he was backed by social conservatives and so it will be interesting to see what his platform of "freedom of expression" means.
Probably just means unpopular opinions that he personally agrees with.

Scheer's a social conservative. There's a constituency for that, but not enough to get him elected. Trudeau is probably feeling pretty smug at the moment.
humans were created in their own image

Barrister

I don't get the "Scheer is a social conservative" angle.  He ran as "Harperism with a smile" as his overall platform and philosophy.  Yes, he gained the second ballot support of social conservatives, but only as a kind of compromise candidate.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

It will be alright.  Canadian politicians are ok.  They already have same sex marriage and abortion rights etc, and I highly doubt if those can be rolled back. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on May 29, 2017, 12:36:35 AM
It will be alright.  Canadian politicians are ok.  They already have same sex marriage and abortion rights etc, and I highly doubt if those can be rolled back. 

I just want to point out we also have same sex marriage and abortion rights.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2017, 12:48:18 AM
I just want to point out we also have same sex marriage and abortion rights.

Abortion rights, sure. Actual access? Sometimes.

Grey Fox

We don't really have abortion rights tho, we have abortion access.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 29, 2017, 06:11:45 AM

The reason women in Canada have access to abortion is because the law gives them the right to choose to have an abortion.

Quote from: Barrister on May 28, 2017, 11:35:46 PM
I don't get the "Scheer is a social conservative" angle.  He ran as "Harperism with a smile" as his overall platform and philosophy.  Yes, he gained the second ballot support of social conservatives, but only as a kind of compromise candidate.

Yes, he ran as Harper with a smile, but it remains to be seen whether he can silence the social conservatives in the same way Harper did.  Early signs are that he will not.  Harper was emphatic that the abortion question was settled and that women had the right to choose.   When Scheer was asked whether he would allow the abortion issue to be raised again, he avoided the question.

The reason you don't "get the Scheer as a social conservative angle" is probably the same reason you think Pence is bland. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 29, 2017, 06:11:45 AM

If my boss declares that I am a slave, he won't pay me, but consistently deposits my salary into my account anyway, that's good enough for me :contract: