[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on December 12, 2019, 02:26:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 12, 2019, 12:10:28 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 12, 2019, 12:00:16 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2019, 08:35:06 AM
This slightly more complex reality often escapes partisans, though.
changing a city name in an area predominantly settled by British subjects, now English Canadians with a skin as thick as Donald Trump's for anykind of language/historical issues? 

I think you are downplaying the fact that we English Canadians actually know about the bad stuff Durham did too.
Some of you. Those that have been educated on the subject by glorious Quebecers  :pope: :shutup: :D

:D

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on December 12, 2019, 02:32:05 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2019, 01:22:38 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 12, 2019, 12:31:55 PM
Scheer was apprently grifting money out of the party to pay for his kids private school system.

The party of Fiscal responsibility, everyone!

Altho, that's pretty on-brand grifting for a Cons.

That's perfect in so many ways!  :lol:

- The public school system is for you plebes
- Stealing to pay for the kids: family matters!
- Live within your means through corruption.
Twitter link (Global news)

Unproved as of yet, but no unfounded it seems. That's bad for the party's image :(

Well, I guess we can always trust the deeply religious people to have outstanding morals :)

Now, on to the first point, lots of politicians send their kids to private schools.  Even those in social-democratic parties defending the current (deficient) model...

Here, it costs *at least* $35 K/Year (not counting various mandatory contributions to the school etc.) - more like $40K/kid/year, at least.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Jesus Christ. That is private University in the US type numbers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2019, 02:52:58 PM

Well, that's in Canadian dollar-ettes.  ;)

But yeah, it isn't cheap.

Mind you, that's in Toronto - it may be somewhat cheaper in Ottawa, I don't know.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2019, 02:52:01 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 12, 2019, 02:32:05 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2019, 01:22:38 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 12, 2019, 12:31:55 PM
Scheer was apprently grifting money out of the party to pay for his kids private school system.

The party of Fiscal responsibility, everyone!

Altho, that's pretty on-brand grifting for a Cons.

That's perfect in so many ways!  :lol:

- The public school system is for you plebes
- Stealing to pay for the kids: family matters!
- Live within your means through corruption.
Twitter link (Global news)

Unproved as of yet, but no unfounded it seems. That's bad for the party's image :(

Well, I guess we can always trust the deeply religious people to have outstanding morals :)

Now, on to the first point, lots of politicians send their kids to private schools.  Even those in social-democratic parties defending the current (deficient) model...

Here, it costs *at least* $35 K/Year (not counting various mandatory contributions to the school etc.) - more like $40K/kid/year, at least.
Unsubsidized private schools costs around 6-8000$/year over here, but most are subsidized, with costs in the 2500-3000$ range, IIRC.  They often have foundations to help poorer parents (mine did) pay the tuition bills and the costs of extra-curricular activities.

How did they get that pricey??
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

The semi-privates are about 5k/kid/year.

I don't know numbers for the 100% privates around here, those are pretty rare & secretive.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on December 12, 2019, 02:58:52 PM
Unsubsidized private schools costs around 6-8000$/year over here, but most are subsidized, with costs in the 2500-3000$ range, IIRC.  They often have foundations to help poorer parents (mine did) pay the tuition bills and the costs of extra-curricular activities.

How did they get that pricey??

Could be a function of Toronto itself, and its insane prices for real estate etc. I just checked, and Ottawa looks on average to be about half as expensive.

https://www.ourkids.net/ottawa-private-schools.php#:~:targetText=This%20traditional%20private%20school%20in,is%20from%20%2423%2C600%20to%20%2458%2C300.

grumbler

Tuition numbers can be misleading, though.  I know that, in the case of the school I teach at, the nominal annual tuition is $25,000 per year.  But not that many pay that amount.  16 of the 250 students (6%) go for free, having won the 16 merit scholarships.  About 75% of the students get need-based tuition assistance, with an average value of $15,000.  The remaining 19% pay full freight.  The latter include our exchange students, that make up about 10% of the student body.  So there's like 24 students who are not exchange students who are paying full tuition, which is only about 8 students more than the number attending for free.  The average is about half the nominal amount, and the board sets tuition with that in mind.

All of the scholarship and tuition assistance determinations are made by a panel hired by the National Association of Independent Schools, so there isn't favoritism shown in the awards.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on December 12, 2019, 02:56:40 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 12, 2019, 02:52:58 PM

Well, that's in Canadian dollar-ettes.  ;)

But yeah, it isn't cheap.

Mind you, that's in Toronto - it may be somewhat cheaper in Ottawa, I don't know.

That is pretty much the going rate in Vancouver.   A bit less expensive for the private Catholic schools.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on December 12, 2019, 05:05:59 PM

Tuition numbers can be misleading, though.  I know that, in the case of the school I teach at, the nominal annual tuition is $25,000 per year.  But not that many pay that amount.  16 of the 250 students (6%) go for free, having won the 16 merit scholarships.  About 75% of the students get need-based tuition assistance, with an average value of $15,000.  The remaining 19% pay full freight.  The latter include our exchange students, that make up about 10% of the student body.  So there's like 24 students who are not exchange students who are paying full tuition, which is only about 8 students more than the number attending for free.  The average is about half the nominal amount, and the board sets tuition with that in mind.

All of the scholarship and tuition assistance determinations are made by a panel hired by the National Association of Independent Schools, so there isn't favoritism shown in the awards.

Not the same here.  There were two free scholarships at the school my boys went to.  The rest were full freight.  And there is a significant waiting list to get in.

Rex Francorum

Stanstead College, located in southern Québec,
Fees for 2019-2020

https://stansteadcollege.myschoolapp.com/ftpimages/1161/download/download_2356272.pdf

Canadian/USA Boarding Student··········$51,900 CAD(Tuition & residence)
International Boarding Student············$65,900 CAD(Tuition & residence)
Day Student ········································$21,900 CAD(Tuition
To rent

crazy canuck

Quote from: Rex Francorum on December 12, 2019, 06:17:48 PM
Stanstead College, located in southern Québec,
Fees for 2019-2020

https://stansteadcollege.myschoolapp.com/ftpimages/1161/download/download_2356272.pdf

Canadian/USA Boarding Student··········$51,900 CAD(Tuition & residence)
International Boarding Student············$65,900 CAD(Tuition & residence)
Day Student ········································$21,900 CAD(Tuition

Here is the tuition from a boarding school on Vancouver Island - picked it because Steve Nash went there, but it is representative of the price structures here

BC Boarding Students   $52,590
North American Boarding Students   $57,950
International Boarding Students   $68,810
ELL Students   $80,670

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 12, 2019, 02:59:15 PM
The semi-privates are about 5k/kid/year.

I don't know numbers for the 100% privates around here, those are pretty rare & secretive.
that much nowadays? ouch.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Yikes.

I checked out the Jesuit high school I attended.  $8,700 per year.  Even if I lived back in Winnipeg I doubt I could send my kids there now (specially with three of them).  But that seems a lot more sensible than some of those other rates.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

These prices are just stupid. Public school is fine.