News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

This debate is better organized and run.

crazy canuck

It is amazing what they say when they don't think the people who don't speak the language are listening.

I just heard Trudeau say that values testing for immigrants is "entirely appropriate" and May referred to Quebec as a "nation"

Zoupa

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 10, 2019, 08:28:39 PM
It is amazing what they say when they don't think the people who don't speak the language are listening.

I just heard Trudeau say that values testing for immigrants is "entirely appropriate" and May referred to Quebec as a "nation"

We're used to the double-talk here. Been going on for a good 40 years now.

crazy canuck

Yeah, I now have a better idea of what you guys have been talking about.

On another topic here is an independent analysis that shows the Green proposal to combat climate change is by far the most effective and will still result in economic growth.

https://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/confronting-carbon2/

Josephus

This site, 338canada.com, has some pretty good daily charts based on polls, as well as demographics and riding history.

Today, the Liberals have a 31 per cent chance of a minoirity gov't, the Conservatives a 30 per cent chance.
Thay also give the Liberals a 27 per chance of forming a majority
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

I have been watching that site to see what is happening in my riding.

at the beginning of the election the Greens were within the margin of error of both the Libs and Cons.  The Libs are now way out in front and the Greens are within the margin of error of the Cons.  Now that there is no chance of the Cons forming a majority government I wonder if some of that Lib vote might migrate back to the Greens.  The NDP are not a contender in this riding - although they were able to field a good candidate.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2019, 12:19:53 PM

at the beginning of the election the Greens were within the margin of error of both the Libs and Cons.  The Libs are now way out in front and the Greens are within the margin of error of the Cons.  Now that there is no chance of the Cons forming a majority government I wonder if some of that Lib vote might migrate back to the Greens.  The NDP are not a contender in this riding - although they were able to field a good candidate.

The rise of the NDP is an interesting factor though.  Singh was felt to have "won" the debate.  We'll see if that brings some sustained momentum for the party.  While there used to be a time the Conservatives and NDP would compete for some of the same voters, the NDP now will draw almost exclusively from the Liberals.

If the NDP takes away enough votes from the Libs that can flip a lot of ridings to the Conservatives, without a single extra person voting for the Conservatives.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

One thing I don't like about politics these days: the Conservatives are releasing their full election platform today.  Friday afternoon before a long weekend.  10 days before the election itself.  It's as if they don't want anyone to actually read it.

I remember back in the 90s when both Reform, and the Liberals, would release their full campaign platform either in advance of the election period, or right at the start.

Sigh.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: viper37 on October 07, 2019, 03:11:17 PM
that's the problem with the left.  Protecting the environment isn't the goal, it's a way to get to power to impose sweeping, detrimental changes to our society.

Yes, most greens are watermelons.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Oexmelin

Still waiting for conservative green plans.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2019, 12:31:23 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 11, 2019, 12:19:53 PM

The rise of the NDP is an interesting factor though.  Singh was felt to have "won" the debate.  We'll see if that brings some sustained momentum for the party.  While there used to be a time the Conservatives and NDP would compete for some of the same voters, the NDP now will draw almost exclusively from the Liberals.

If the NDP takes away enough votes from the Libs that can flip a lot of ridings to the Conservatives, without a single extra person voting for the Conservatives.

That's always the case, though.

Looking at some very recent polls, seems like the minor NDP gains have come from Green losses; looks like the protest vote going from one protest to another.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

338 now, for the first time, shows Cons ahead, by a very small margin
Civis Romanus Sum

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on October 13, 2019, 08:32:35 AM
338 now, for the first time, shows Cons ahead, by a very small margin

:o

:shifty:

Monoriu

I will be happy if the Greens are destroyed. 

Josephus

Today...Conservative minority 40.6 per cent
Liberal minority  35 per cent.

Libs are slipping. Looks like NDP gains, as BB intimated, are hurting them.
Civis Romanus Sum