That Danny ES has a way with words.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 20, 2018, 11:02:15 PM
Hear your only hear, mounty faggits!

That Danny ES has a way with words.

Your state needs a language commissioner

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 20, 2018, 09:37:05 AM
I have no doubt there were plenty of bad racists in Ontario in 1925. Not sure why that is significant - those KKKers wouldn't have liked me any more than you!  :lol:
When they're done for the French, whom do you think they'll come for? :)  "Kosher tax" bs is still a popular subject on many boards.

QuoteMay we assume that you aren't doing so, because you can't - because they were not actually based in fact?  :hmm:
Here is a research paper compiled for an anglophone support group. It is relevant in that, it picks only the fights the francophones won, but it has lots of cases that went to the Supreme court regarding school rights and it extends in describing all benefits that anglophones in Quebec get. It also briefly skirt around the subject of school boards with various interpretation by the Supreme Court.  Basically, it seems there is no protection for schoolboard in itself, French could very well be attached to English Schoolbard, and from there, how the resources are allocated is a provincial matter.
https://qcgn.ca/2015413research-paper-html/

With the abolition of the Commissionner, Francos just lost their first line of defense.  Despite the Federal govt reinstatement of the fund that lets citizens sue their governement on specific cases, such as education, the future of the Franco-Ontarians looks bleak.
English speaking immigration can be used to drown francos, make their numbers diminish, and as such, remove them the protections garanteed by article 23b that only applies where number warrants.
Section 93 of the BNAA also seems relevant for Quebec, but not for English Canada.https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/const/page-4.html
QuoteAll the Powers, Privileges, and Duties at the Union by Law conferred and imposed in Upper Canada on the Separate Schools and School Trustees of the Queen's Roman Catholic Subjects shall be and the same are hereby extended to the Dissentient Schools of the Queen's Protestant and Roman Catholic Subjects in Quebec;
English Quebecers need their own school boards, Protestant or otherwise (it has been changed by a Constitutional amendment, but I'm lost there)French Canadians have no such right.In case where there is disagreement, the Parliament of Canada can rule on the subject.  It has already done so, against the Franco-Manitobans.  In other cases, it never bothered to rule.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

The Constitution is also very quiet on the right to a bilingual hospitals, or healthcare services in your own language, generally speaking.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 20, 2018, 11:48:34 AM
The reason: I happen to believe that, without significant protection of the environment, we won't even be around to worry about language rights ... 
You will.  If you can afford a 2000$ stroller, you can afford to live in New Toronto, under the dome. ;)

I also misunderstood your sentiment earlier, sorry.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on November 20, 2018, 08:07:18 PM
Ils s'en calissent de nous autre, rien de neuf. Et Legault qui va faire des yeux doux a Ford... Misere de misere de colon.
there is not much choice.  Just like Trudeau is having googly eyes when talking to Trump.

viper37

Economic update (mini budget).

Some money goes to newspapers (presumably, also printed and digital magazines, I haven't read about it, just grabbed some passing news) registered as NPOs.

In Quebec, I know of La Presse that fits in this category.  Le Devoir is theoritically impartial but governed by shareholders and Le Journal de Montréal/Québec are both owned by... tadam!  A former PQ leader.  As for regional/semi-national newspapers, most are owned by Capitale Media, ownership of former Liberal Minister Martin Cauchon.  These were Gesca's regional newspapers before they sold them for a confidential price to some poor dude with nothing but a house&mortgage on his name.  I don't think they require any cash input though, they seem very profitable, since the sole shareholder managed to find hundreds of millions of dollars to invest in a pot company, after his medias received 10M$ in low interest loans from the govt of Quebec.

Officially, La Presse has a federalist editorial line.  Since I've been reading newspapers in my teens, medias formerly belonging to Gesca (former owner of La Presse, part of the Power Corporation conglomerate), only once did the newspaper's editorial board not recommend voting for the Liberal Party of Canada.  I think it was 2011.  On the provincial level, I can't remember them ever positionning seriously against Quebec's Liberal Party in their editorials, either for vote or for governance.  Same for the Liberal Party of Canada, come to think of it.

It's a pure coincidence, of course, since they would never, never, ever lack any kind of objectivity in their editorials and only recommend a vote to their reader because it's in the traditions of America's greatest newspapers.

In all honesty, I believe they did criticize Justin Trudeau's costuming ideas for India...  they might not be totally unimpartial... ;)

Grey Fox

The PCC would not help anything to do with culture, especially journalists they are the enemy.

It is a real question where Martin Cauchon gets his money.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on November 21, 2018, 11:22:00 PM

Some money goes to newspapers (presumably, also printed and digital magazines, I haven't read about it, just grabbed some passing news) registered as NPOs.

I love Trudeau
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 22, 2018, 07:32:30 AM
The PCC would not help anything to do with culture, especially journalists they are the enemy.

You'd be paranoid too if everyone were out  to get you!
:P

Yes.  If only we had a journalist reading this who would get the idea to dig a little further...

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on November 22, 2018, 10:04:43 AM

I love Trudeau
How many newspapers in English Canada (let's stick to national ones) would benefit from this help?
I have no idea of their structure.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on November 22, 2018, 11:32:04 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 22, 2018, 07:32:30 AM

You'd be paranoid too if everyone were out  to get you!
:P

Yes.  If only we had a journalist reading this who would get the idea to dig a little further...

Probably Bell.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on November 22, 2018, 11:32:43 AM
Quote from: Josephus on November 22, 2018, 10:04:43 AM

I love Trudeau
How many newspapers in English Canada (let's stick to national ones) would benefit from this help?
I have no idea of their structure.

I don't know.

There are three main areas:

1)     Access to Charitable Tax Incentives

So all non-profit newspapers can give tax receipts to donors (subscriptions). There's a lot of them out there (my paper is one). La Presse, in Quebec, is another.

2)     A New Refundable Tax Credit to Support News Organizations
This can be the big three papers for sure, plus all sorts of provincial ones.

The new measure will aim to support Canadian news organizations that produce a wide variety of news and information of interest to Canadians. The refundable credit will support labour costs associated with producing original news content and will generally be available to both non-profit and for-profit news organizations. An independent panel will be established from the news and journalism community to define eligibility for this tax credit, as well as provide advice on other measures.

3)     A New Non-Refundable Tax Credit for Subscriptions to Canadian Digital News Media

Not really sure who qualifies for this; but all newspapers are selling digital subscriptions, so this could be a lot.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Conservatives are attacking the tax breaks for the media as a bribe to obtain favourable media coverage during the election    :wacko:

They need to fire the dimwits who think Trumpist tactics of attacking the press will work here.  I posted a link to a Coyne piece a few weeks ago in which he said the Conservatives had already made that move - but apparently the Cons have had second thoughts.

I wonder if this is an indication of how worried they are that a weak NDP make it likely that all those votes will go Liberal.

Zoupa

The Liberal gvt's economic update is another environmental hoodwink. It readily admits that the new measures on corporate equipment investment will increase greenhouse gases emissions.

Forget about the 2020 target reduction. IIRC the 2030 target is -40% of 2015 levels. We're currently at +12,5%.

Trudeau is a bag of douche.