News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Camerus

I just voted "yes" today on my union's new tentative collective agreement.  :bowler:

viper37

Quote from: Rex Francorum on September 21, 2018, 11:44:13 AM
Quite a troubled history.  ;)

Mine is more quiet, but not without changes.

Voted Liberal in 1989 because I was an idiot (I was 18).
Voted PQ in 1994 (the only time I did political work)
Voted ADQ in 1998 and 2003
Vote PQ since 2007
1994 PQ
1998 PQ
2003 ADQ (Bernard Landry pissed me off by undoing all of Bouchard's work, I tore my membership card)
2007 ADQ
2008 ADQ
2012 CAQ
2014 CAQ
2018 CAQ.

The ADQ was my party.  I still feel like I'm a political orphan.  But this is a Liberal bastion, even more so since our riding has been "remade" losing the bluest (PQ) part of our riding and gaining the redest (Libs) part.  It was a move done by the Liberal party, but even though it benefitted them, it actually makes a lot more sense that way, we have much more in common with the merged part than with the one we lost.

Right now, it's a tight race, less than 1% difference between CAQ and Libs.  I must vote.  I dislike the leader (reminds me too much of Robert Bourassa), I dislike the party's edulcorated platform (if you asked me, I couldn't tell you what the party stands for, really), but I must vote to oust the Liberals.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

The CAQ stands for ousting the Liberals, nothing else.

New Brunswick voted itself into a 22 (PC)-21 (Libs) draw + 6 MPs from 2 different parties holding the Balance of Power.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Results are in for the provincial election:

• Coallition Avenir Québec (center-left): 74 MNA (member of National Assembly), 37,41%
  • Parti Libéral du Québec (center-left): 32 MNA (24,82%, basically, the ridings with a strong english presence)
  • Québec Solidaire (far left): 10 MNA (16,09%).  About half of their gains outside Montreal.  Oex used to laugh at me and call me paranoid when I talked about the progress of the far left in our politics.  Here we are now.  This is what happens when we put our head in the sand instead of facing the problems we have.
  • Parti Québecois (left, pro-independance but not for this election), 9 MNA (17,06%).
It's a significant election.  First time the PQ is not a recognized party (unless the CAQ changes the rules, I hope they won't, as the PQ refused numerous times when the ADQ was in a 3rd minority position) since 1976.   First time since I was born that neither the PQ nor the PLQ are the government.  First time since I was born the electoral debate is not on sovereignty, partly or mainly.
I'm glad the CAQ won.  Moving a millimeter in the rigth direction is probably better than not moving at all.  Still, I miss the ADQ :(
Maybe the fear campaigns don't work anymore for the Liberals.  Maybe the recent newish NAFTA not called NAFTA deal has pushed many electors away from the Liberals, for fear they won't defend Quebec's interests properly.  I don't know.  CAQ came out very strongly, much more so than most polls predicted.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler](projections vs final result)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

This is a pretty good election.

Reduction of the fear mongering & status quo of the Liberals do in Francophones population (The Anglos are still afraid)
Rise of the QS & real left alternative for mainstream voters instead of the fake Left that is the PQ.
Francophones in regions moving away from the ethno-nationalism of the PQ to the one of the CAQ.
Not talking about Independance.

crazy canuck

What, if any, ramifications are there for the Federal vote?

Grey Fox

No insight can be gleamed from any of this except maybe the Federal Libs poaching a couple of PQ/PLQ candidates for the 2019 election. Leitao for one.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 02, 2018, 02:58:31 PM
What, if any, ramifications are there for the Federal vote?
None.

Remember René Lévesque?
At the same time he was our Premier, the people of Quebec elected 81/82 Liberals MP, with Trudeau the elder...

had we have Facebook back then, "Un Québec indépendant dans un Canada fort et uni" (an independant Quebec in a strong and united Canada) would have been a popular meme, I'm sure ;)

crazy canuck

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/08/global-warming-must-not-exceed-15c-warns-landmark-un-report

Bad timing for US politics to have gone off the rails.  But it is also a bad time for Canadian provincial policians to back out of a national carbon reduction strategy.

crazy canuck

As interesting an important as the US midterms are, our own election is a year away - time to start prognosticating.

The NP had a good piece on the Liberals spending problems concluding that they have spent a lot in good times and are not ready for the world economic slow down that is likely coming - thanks Trump.

Profligate spending and an inability to govern effectively are probably going to be the points the Conservatives attack.  No idea what the NDP will do other than get ready for another leadership convention.

Here in BC the Liberals have an uphill challenge due to their decision to give Kinder Morgan billions.  The Liberal's main hope here is that the NDP leader is so weak.  But I think that still won't save them.

So they are going to need to get their majority seats elsewhere.  They did it in the last election - can they do it again?

Josephus

It's not looking too good for Trudeau right now, but honestly it's waaay too early. These days elections are decided by what happens in the last few days. I do believe the NDP will get trounced, so that may work to Trudeau's benefit. We'll see.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

PRC

Monoriu

Well, I am concerned about two things about the election.  First, people who hold Canadian citizenship and live abroad will continue to have tax exempt status.  Two, if people who hold Canadian passports need to bring their spouses to Canada in an emergency, their spouses can stay while they apply for residency status  :ph34r:

viper37

Imho, we should start taxing Canadian citizens who do not live in our country.  If, say, after 3 years of no taxes paid, then citizenship is revoked.  Too many people abuse our system.