News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

The day after the KM deal was announced I am even more mystified at the Liberal political calculation.  There is likely some happiness in Alberta although the government as owner probably rankles.  But even so, why do the Federal Liberals put much weight on what voters who are likely to vote Conservative anyway, might think.  It makes me think there is some advantage to them in Ontario - but I don't see it.

Anyone else have an idea?

Jacob

Nope, I don't quite get it either.

Josephus

I'm not sure this was a "political calculation"...I don't think the Liberals had a choice. With the deadline for KM to walk away looming, they were backed into a corner. As the Globe implies, it's not all that BAD a deal for taxpayers...those billions are buying a pre-exisiting profit-making infrastructure... but it's likely not a good deal for the Party, who is now going to find themselves on the wrong side of the environmental debate and a war with B.C.

It is purchasing hard assets that have an existing annual revenue stream, and it will own a company that has the necessary approvals to triple its capacity. The price is high but, if handled properly, it is arguable that this deal could be a net benefit to taxpayers.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/article-globe-editorial-ottawa-throws-your-money-at-its-pipeline-problem/

edit: Kinda what BB was arguing a few posts ago.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Bullocks.  They did not do much fact finding for that piece.

The Government had a number of choices including allowing the deadline to pass.  What harm is there in that?  Force KM to make the next move.  It is really KM who was running out of options.  The have a pipeline that needs to be replaced and while doing that they made an application to twin it.   KM was the one who could not walk away - they had a very valuable asset that needed to replaced somehow or they would have lost all that value.   At the very least, even if the Government was intent on purchasing, if they had let the arbitrary deadline pass they would have been in a better bargaining position.

They also could have simply protected the Rule of Law by bring a reference to the Supreme Court of Canada on an expedited basis and end all the legal ambiguity over the jurisdiction question.

Importantly, and a point not addressed in the Editorial, is that the purchase does not remove any of the legal challenges to the pipeline being build.  Actually the legal problems have become greater.  KM had no legal obligation to directly consult or accommodate first nations in relation to their land title claims.  But the Federal Government certainly does.  And now they are the owner of the project!

The only "advantage" now is the Federal government can spend as many tax dollars as it wants to devote to this project.

Josephus

So looks like the US is going to hit Canada, and others, with tariffs on steel and aluminum exports. Freeland, Canada's hottest Foreign Affairs minister ever,  has said earlier, Canada would retaliate. So how do you think we will?

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 31, 2018, 09:01:57 AM
So looks like the US is going to hit Canada, and others, with tariffs on steel and aluminum exports. Freeland, Canada's hottest Foreign Affairs minister ever,  has said earlier, Canada would retaliate. So how do you think we will?

Our economies are integrated to such a degree that Trump's tariff is already going to hurt the US.  Whatever Canada does in retaliation will also hurt Canada. 

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 31, 2018, 09:19:20 AM

Our economies are integrated to such a degree that Trump's tariff is already going to hurt the US.  Whatever Canada does in retaliation will also hurt Canada.

yes, tariffs always hurt . But they have to do something symbolic, I think.
Civis Romanus Sum

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 31, 2018, 09:25:48 AM

I agree. But I am not sure what sector will do the least damage to Canada.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on May 31, 2018, 09:25:48 AM

Well the Europeans seem to have a half decent list f things to go after, like kentucky whiskey (from Mitch McConnell's home state) and Harley-Davidson motorcycles (based in Wisconsin, Paul Ryan's state).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

I hope they go after Harley Davidson.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 31, 2018, 09:48:11 AM
Fast food franchises?

Franchises are owned by local (i.e. Canadian) franchisees, so that would be a poor target.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 31, 2018, 09:49:16 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 31, 2018, 09:48:11 AM
Fast food franchises?

Franchises are owned by local (i.e. Canadian) franchisees, so that would be a poor target.

No, actually the Franchisee doesn't own anything other than the rights they have under franchise agreement. 

It was more of a joke, but you should know the difference.  Also, you should know that your province actually has some of the strongest legislative protections for franchisee rights.

Grey Fox

Freeland just said we're going to raise tariffs to the tune of 16.6 billions.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Playing cards and felt-tipped pens :lol:

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/newsalert-canada-responds-to-u-s-tariffs-with-its-own-countermeasures

AND TOILET PAPER. FUCK

Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland said Canada is hitting back with duties of up to $16.6 billion on some steel and aluminum products and other goods from the U.S. — including beer kegs, whisky, toilet paper and "hair lacquers."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trump-steel-deadline-1.4685242

here's the whole list

https://www.fin.gc.ca/activty/consult/cacsap-cmpcaa-eng.asp
Civis Romanus Sum