News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on February 22, 2018, 04:29:41 PM
I thought it was usually just the French got upset about that. Strange to see the Anglo Canadians getting language protectionist.

Your blind and irrational hatred of the the glorious French culture can sometimes lead you to false impressions -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Hockey Canada is run by a bunch of idiots that really have an issue with le fait français.

I don't understand why Sébastien, the announcer, is complying with the order.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Speaking as someone with a fucked up name I would expect my name to be announced with a English pronounciation to  anglos and a French pronounciation to francos. I mean I don't use the Portuguese version in my day to day life because no one could say it. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Hey Beebs, how likely do you think this is to impact the next election in Alberta?

QuoteAlberta Advantage Party formed by former Wildrose members announces leader

A political party established by former Wildrose members announced its first leader Saturday in Red Deer.

Founding member Marilyn Burns was acclaimed to lead the Alberta Advantage Party, which is not yet officially registered with Elections Alberta.

"The only reason I'm doing it is because I love the people of Alberta," she said. "We are in the process for collecting about 8,000 signatures on a petition ... to allow us to participate in the democratic process."

About 50 former Wildrose members — who were against merging with the Progressive Conservatives to become the United Conservative Party — met in July to form Wildrose 2.0.

That private meeting in Nisku focused on resurrecting the party that would use Wildrose constitution bylaws save for a few tweaks, said Burns at the time, who was then president of the Wildrose's Edmonton-Southwest constituency association board.

"I adamantly opposed the merger," Burns said Saturday, calling it a PC takeover.

Burns was previously a member of the Alberta Alliance Party (AAP), which was founded in 2002 and later absorbed by the Wildrose Party. She ran under the AAP banner in 2004 in Stony Plain, where she came in third, losing to PC candidate Fred Lindsay.

"We want to have a government that advances self-reliant and compassionate people, that advances individual freedoms for everyone and a trustworthy government," Burns said.

The party has not divulged how many members it has.

The Alberta Advantage Party is not to be confused with the Alberta Party, which has three sitting MLAs in the legislature and have 6,543 members voting in a new leader with online polls closing Tuesday. A provincial election is expected in 2019.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/alberta-advantage-party-formed-by-former-wildrose-members-announces-leader?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1519521310

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2018, 03:46:17 PM
So this might be the most Canadian news story of all time: Hockey Canada is being criticized for telling announcers to pronounce certain hockey players names in the English pronounciation.  Never mind these players, though of French heritage, are from English Canada and themselves pronounce their names that way.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/heritage-minister-1.4546582

I agree that's a very Canadian story.

Personally, I'd leave it up to the announcers.

BTW, how do you pronounce Bourke anglicized?  I would have thought it's the same in both.

Ed Anger

Quote from: HVC on February 22, 2018, 05:33:02 PM
Speaking as someone with a fucked up name I would expect my name to be announced with a English pronounciation to  anglos and a French pronounciation to francos. I mean I don't use the Portuguese version in my day to day life because no one could say it.

"Eggplant"
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2018, 01:32:30 PM
Hey Beebs, how likely do you think this is to impact the next election in Alberta?

Not at all.

Alberta has a long history of fringe parties.  Sometimes they do indeed catch on (Reform!), but the large majority of them do not.

The Kenney-led United Conservative Party is not shying away from being right wing.  They have little to fear from Wildrose holdouts on the right.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on February 26, 2018, 10:59:39 PM
Not at all.

Alberta has a long history of fringe parties.  Sometimes they do indeed catch on (Reform!), but the large majority of them do not.

The Kenney-led United Conservative Party is not shying away from being right wing.  They have little to fear from Wildrose holdouts on the right.

Barrister

If anything, the UCP has more to worry about from the Alberta Party, which is trying to pull off disaffected former PC supporters by organizing from the middle.  But even then I'm not terribly concerned - if the Alberta party ever gets any traction (it has not to date) it can just as easily pull support from one-time NDP voters.

saskganesh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2018, 06:32:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2018, 03:46:17 PM
So this might be the most Canadian news story of all time: Hockey Canada is being criticized for telling announcers to pronounce certain hockey players names in the English pronounciation.  Never mind these players, though of French heritage, are from English Canada and themselves pronounce their names that way.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/heritage-minister-1.4546582

I agree that's a very Canadian story.

Personally, I'd leave it up to the announcers.

BTW, how do you pronounce Bourke anglicized?  I would have thought it's the same in both.

Bork (Fr) vs Berk (En).
humans were created in their own image

Grey Fox

Barrister

So QUebeckistanis, what is the significance of this?  7 out of 10 BQ MPs quit caucus, will form their own parliamentary group.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bloc-quebecois-ouellet-1.4555185

Grey Fox

That, maybe, finally, we can put this BS that is the BQ behind us & stop giving Federal pensions to random separatist activist instead of participating in running the country.

crazy canuck

Here is an interesting piece on the economic impact on BC if Alberta started restricting oil shipments to BC  - at least $2 a litre at the pump and fuel shortages.

One of the biggest economic impacts could be a reduction of traffic through the Vancouver International Airport because of a lack of fuel.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/2-a-litre-gas-the-starting-point-if-notley-closes-taps-to-b-c-analyst

QuoteEach day, Alberta currently exports 44,000 barrels per day of gasoline and 47,000 barrels of diesel to B.C., representing more than 20 per cent of its total production.

Alberta exports 2.4 billion cubic feet a day of marketable natural gas to B.C. per day, representing one quarter of its production. About 17 per cent of those exports are used by B.C., with the rest going to the United States.

McTeague said B.C. should worry as much about those refined products that Alberta provides B.C., much of it coming through the existing Trans Mountain pipeline in batch shipments, providing about half of what the Lower Mainland uses.

If those supplies are cut off or restricted, McTeague said it is likely no other regional fuel market could step in to fill the gap.

"Look for rolling (station closures), look for truckers driving south of the border to get their fuel, looking for a number of airplanes having to be rerouted because they could no longer be guaranteed adequate jet fuel," McTeague said.

Jacob

Interesting. I read an article earlier - back when the wine embargo first came out - that said that US refineries would step in after a while. Let me see if I can find it....