News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

A 15 year old boy got shot and killed as his family drove by what appears to be a targeted assassination. The target also died (a 23 year old "known to police") and one of his companions were wounded.

Not politics per se, of course. It happened a few blocks from where I used to live along a major thoroughfare, at a bar/restaurant place.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PRC

Quote from: HVC on January 25, 2018, 11:00:47 AM
Nova Scotia PC leader feels left out, also resigns over sexual misconduct

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/jamie-baillie-resigns-inappropriate-behaviour-1.4501742

That guy should have been forced out for being an alien conehead.

HVC

it seems that it's always the conservative politicians too
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on January 25, 2018, 05:19:19 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 25, 2018, 08:17:46 AM
Meanwhile in Ontario, PC leader resigns over sexual misconduct allegations.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/pc-leader-patrick-brown-resigns-denies-sexual-misconduct-allegations-1.3774862

WYnne is going to win another majority, isn't she. :weep:

Wouldnt' count on it. One thing I've learned over the years is that voters have short memories, and it's only what happens in the last week of the campaign that matters.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Malthus

Not politics exactly - but have any of you been following the news of the alleged serial killer caught in Toronto?

Apparently, he disposed of the bodies of his victims in large ornamental planters.

The police decided to nab him right when he had another possible victim handcuffed to his bed:

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/01/30/man-handcuffed-to-mcarthurs-bed/

That's one lucky person!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PRC

And now Alberta has immediately halted all imports of BC wine in their dispute over the trans Mountain pipeline.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmonton/wine-boycott-alberta-british-columbia-trans-mountain-1.4523473

Jacob

Yeah that's certainly been a bit of a conversation topic locally.

Personally I think it's a reasonably astute populist move by Notley since I figure it will play well in Alberta. I don't think it will do much except harden objections in BC though.

Personally I would like someone to make arguments in favour of the pipeline from a BC perspective that didn't revolve around variations on the "don't be so difficult" theme. If someone could lay out a case that says "yeah, we recognize that there are real risks to BC from this project and here's how we will mitigate them or otherwise make them seem acceptable" I'd love to hear them and let myself be convinced... but so far there only seems to be two sides to the argument: "oil is all bad all the time so no" and "shut up and take it," neither of which are particularly compelling.

PRC

Agreed.  It's also interesting that we have two provincial NDP governments butting heads on this, although maybe in BC this is a factor of the Greens moreso given their kingmaker position.  Since the project is a federal one I do think the Liberals need to do more to argue for it as they approved it, granted Trudeau has spoken with a strong voice in recent town halls, but speaking about it and acting on it are two different things.  So far he has left the arguing to Notley who I believe has done as well as she can here while tightrope walking that populist line.  She has brought in a carbon tax, preached environment first, and is still trapped in the Death Stars garbage compactor.

Jacob

Yeah. I think, bottom line, that the pipeline will be built. And bottom line, I'm okay with it too, my environmentalist and BC regionalist leanings notwithstanding. But we are in dire need of a good sales job out here along lines other than "fuck you hippies," "look at all the jobs you'll get (from building the pipeline and then what?)," "lie back and think of the good of the nation," and "who do you think you are, why should your opinion matter on this?"

Doesn't look like Notley's going to be that person, and I don't think the local NDP is going for it either. I haven't heard much from the BC Liberals on that account either. My soft-right, the-NDP-is-anathema friends are not up in arms to defend the pipeline either. As far as I can tell even my BC resource industry friends who are the natural allies of the oil industry are finding it hard to go all in for the pipeline even if they want to.

I'm curious, how's Notley's position playing out in Alberta? Is she gettting grudging respect from non-NDP types for doing the right thing