News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

looks like they were strangled. Our very own Canadian Menendez?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Cops very close mouthed about their deaths so far.

Figure they will show up in an episode of Forensic Files in a few years ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on December 18, 2017, 09:30:11 AM

Anyone else used to watch exhibit A?

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

I was reading trade data regarding Canada's trading partners - Malthus it is this months CBA National magazine.

I didn't realize that our trade with the EU, prior to CETA was so significant.  Our trade with the US is 18.57 T and our trade with the EU is 16.39 T.  It will be interesting to see if, with CETA and the problems we are having with the Americans, whether the EU will become our dominant trading partner.

The other surprising fact is that our Trade with China is already at 11.2 T - again without the benefit of a trade deal. 

crazy canuck

This thread has suffered with the absence of Viper.

What do you think about the Federal government's decision to restrict student employee funding to those organization who attest that they are not pro-life?

One can easily imagine what Viper would say.

For myself, the Liberals ran on a platform of respecting the Charter.  I am not sure how this decision can be defended as not violating Freedom of Religion since most faith based groups will not be able to make that attestation and so will not have access to the funding.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 16, 2018, 11:02:57 AM

What do you think about the Federal government's decision to restrict student employee funding to those organization who attest that they are not pro-life?

For myself, the Liberals ran on a platform of respecting the Charter.  I am not sure how this decision can be defended as not violating Freedom of Religion since most faith based groups will not be able to make that attestation and so will not have access to the funding.

Yeah, I think this was a real amateur move by Trudeau.  There was a news story about pro-life groups getting jobs grants, so Trudeau just announces that in order to get a jobs grant your "core mission" can't be against abortion.  Impossible to see this passing Charter scrutiny, both under s. 2(a) (freedom of conscience and religion) and 2(b) (freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 16, 2018, 11:02:57 AM

I agree.

While pro-choice myself, the decision strikes me as institutionalizing one side of that debate in a manner that is not in accord with Charter values. It sets a terrible president for future politicization of decision-making to exclude the disfavored ... imaging, for example, a future Conservative government writing funding criteria in such a manner as to specifically exclude Muslims from being eligible.

This sort of requirement for outward statements of adherence to ideological conformity on social issues is spreading - in Ontario, for example, lawyers are now required to adhere to a "Statement of Principles" on social values (which is so vague as to be basically meaningless, but still - one can easily imagine future versions will be more specific). 

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2017/12/01/law-society-votes-to-keep-requirement-for-lawyers-to-adopt-statement-of-principles-on-diversity.html
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

A certain author wrote an op ed piece in the Globe on Saturday on a similar theme as well.  :)

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 16, 2018, 11:27:10 AM
A certain author wrote an op ed piece in the Globe on Saturday on a similar theme as well.  :)

Heh I saw!  :lol:

And is getting shit for it.

I agreed with her piece.

PRC

Quote from: Malthus on January 16, 2018, 11:29:56 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 16, 2018, 11:27:10 AM

Heh I saw!  :lol:

And is getting shit for it.

I agreed with her piece.

Her piece was great.  The outrage she is getting over though is so over the top..."her support for the rule of law is a continuation of the white patriarchal cis-heteronormative system of oppression" and "due process is a system that protects the accused and affords no protection to the 'victims'".

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on January 16, 2018, 11:21:00 AM
This sort of requirement for outward statements of adherence to ideological conformity on social issues is spreading - in Ontario, for example, lawyers are now required to adhere to a "Statement of Principles" on social values (which is so vague as to be basically meaningless, but still - one can easily imagine future versions will be more specific). 

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2017/12/01/law-society-votes-to-keep-requirement-for-lawyers-to-adopt-statement-of-principles-on-diversity.html

Yeah, I have seen this as well.  I mean it sounds innocuous enough - who doesn't believe in diversity?  But you can imagine a future where lawyers are disciplined - not for being a practicing Christian or Muslim - but because their actions don't accord with the statement of principles they were required to sign.

People should be judged on what we do, not in what we believe.  God can judge us for the contents of our souls, but governments can not.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 16, 2018, 11:47:33 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 16, 2018, 11:21:00 AM

Yeah, I have seen this as well.  I mean it sounds innocuous enough - who doesn't believe in diversity?  But you can imagine a future where lawyers are disciplined - not for being a practicing Christian or Muslim - but because their actions don't accord with the statement of principles they were required to sign.

People should be judged on what we do, not in what we believe.  God can judge us for the contents of our souls, but governments can not.

It will be very interesting to see how the SCC rules on the TWU appeal.  Those issues are all engaged.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Drakken

Quote from: HVC on December 18, 2017, 09:52:59 AM
Quote from: Malthus on December 18, 2017, 09:30:11 AM

Anyone else used to watch exhibit A?

I loved Exhibit A. We had it on TV translated in French in Quebec - Pièces à conviction.

Not with Graham Greene unfortunately. It was Jacques Godin doing the narration.

Valmy

Quote from: PRC on January 16, 2018, 11:37:35 AM
"due process is a system that protects the accused and affords no protection to the 'victims'".

Jesus Christ people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."