And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on November 30, 2017, 05:02:39 PM
Yeah, that's one ignorant headline.

As for Orr's point - I think the real problem with the opium trade was that the Chinese government couldn't regulate it and when they tried, foreign powers defeated them and essentially overthrew the government. Seems to me that's an unlikely outcome with legalizing marijuana in Canada.

Although over-stated, I think the point was that legalized drugs had a whole host of unintended consequences in China, and once the genie was out of the bottle it was incredibly hard to put it back in.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on November 30, 2017, 05:03:59 PM
Although over-stated, I think the point was that legalized drugs had a whole host of unintended consequences in China, and once the genie was out of the bottle it was incredibly hard to put it back in.

It's a pretty dumb point since the Chinese government's inability to put the genie back in the bottle was closely linked to the opium traders essentially overthrowing the government to enable and further the opium trade.

Such a dynamic is absent in Canada.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on November 30, 2017, 05:02:39 PM
Yeah, that's one ignorant headline.

As for Orr's point - I think the real problem with the opium trade was that the Chinese government couldn't regulate it and when they tried, foreign powers defeated them and essentially overthrew the government. Seems to me that's an unlikely outcome with legalizing marijuana in Canada.

Yeah that whole "Opium Wars" thing. Though that was a hundred years earlier than 1950.

More cogently - pot isn't opium. It isn't nearly as addictive. You can't analogize the social impact of one drug in one social and regulatory setting to that of another in an entirely different one, without absurdity. "Opium caused terrible ravages in China in 1900, so we should outlaw coffee in Canada in 2017". There may be great reasons for outlawing coffee, or pot, or whatever, but making dumb analogies will not be very convincing. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Ah the opium laws, I did my honours thesis on this topic   :smarty:

There is strong evidence to suggest that opium was criminalized in order to create an economic barrier to Chinese migrants.  Prior the criminalization the market was essentially cornered by Chinese wishing to obtain citizenship which in turn required the payment of a head tax.  The Federal government wanted to prevent Chinese applicants from being able to afford the head tax.  It also didn't hurt that they could also play on the prejudices of the day. 

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2017, 05:55:15 PM
Ah the opium laws, I did my honours thesis on this topic   :smarty:

There is strong evidence to suggest that opium was criminalized in order to create an economic barrier to Chinese migrants.  Prior the criminalization the market was essentially cornered by Chinese wishing to obtain citizenship which in turn required the payment of a head tax.  The Federal government wanted to prevent Chinese applicants from being able to afford the head tax.  It also didn't hurt that they could also play on the prejudices of the day.

"The Black Candle" was one of seminal publications on drug criminalization in Canada. One of the less-heralded results of the "Famous Five" - Emily Murphy was the author. The specter of evil Chinese seducers enslaving White women into perverse, drugged sexual bondage! Hot racist fantasy stuff.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

HVC

No longer just content to harass women over what clothes they wear the PQ is now going after the most nefarious of English words: hi.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/don-t-say-hi-quebec-passes-motion-for-french-only-shop-greeting-1.3701305
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Oexmelin

The motion was unanimously approved  by the National Assembly, including by the Liberal majority, which includes anglophone MNA within the Liberals, in a non-binding vote. So, it's not a PQ thing.
Que le grand cric me croque !

HVC

Doesn't exactly make it better :lol:  just seems like such a weird thing to focus on.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on November 30, 2017, 11:04:21 PM
Doesn't exactly make it better :lol:  just seems like such a weird thing to focus on.

It's Quebec - weird language things is what they do.

TO be fair though it's a non-binding resolution - not a law.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

I've never gotten anything out of air miles or credit card points.
You need so many just for one £100 item you must have travelled a few times around the world in 2 years.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on November 30, 2017, 11:04:21 PM

:lol:

Regional francophone are always freaking out about being acknowledge in English if they ever traveled to Montreal. The Parties are playing the card to gain some sympathy.

Us, Montrealers continue to not care.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Oexmelin

Speak for yourself. It's not a regional thing, it's a generational thing.

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 01, 2017, 09:30:09 AM
Speak for yourself. It's not a regional thing, it's a generational thing.

According to PQ house leader Pascal Berube, quoted in the article, it is "all about" Montreal. Tends to support GF's point that this is in fact a regional vs. Montreal thing.   

QuotePQ house leader Pascal Berube believes saying only 'bonjour' is the right approach.

"It's about being original and being ourselves, and being ourselves is a major francophone city with an anglophone community," Berube said Thursday.

"First thing you have to say, I think, is 'bonjour.' It's about respect, it's easy to understand."

[Emphasis added]

Oexmelin

?

Of course, the situation is one which applies only in Montreal. What GF is saying is that it bothers people from outside Montreal, whereas Montrealers don't care.