News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Have you seen this rag. It makes the Rebel look like a hippy publication. It gets delivered to mostly Jewish neighbourhoods. It's a vile, racist publication, but seems to be legal, although Canada Post stopped delivering it, so now they use "volunteers".

http://www.yourwardnews.com/

Note, it does have racist stuff on front cover, so open at work at own peril.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 20, 2017, 07:06:41 AM
Have you seen this rag. It makes the Rebel look like a hippy publication. It gets delivered to mostly Jewish neighbourhoods. It's a vile, racist publication, but seems to be legal, although Canada Post stopped delivering it, so now they use "volunteers".

Never heard of it before.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

What a bizarre, hateful and sad publication.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Didn't want to touch the link.  Never heard of it before.

PRC

I'd heard about the "publication" from a National Post article back in June that detailed how it was banned from being delivered by Canada Post.  The editor's wiki page is something else:

QuoteJames Nicholas Sears (born Dimitrious Sarafopoulos on September 14, 1961) is the editor of a controversial Toronto community newspaper, a Canadian perennial candidate and professional pickup artist who also goes by the name Dimitri the Lover.

One of these "red pill" types I suppose.

Valmy

So he was born with one name...took another name...and then uses his original name as an alias?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Josephus on October 20, 2017, 07:06:41 AM

This is bizarre.  I didn't know this kind of group exists in Canada.  I have always thought that "ward" means a hospital room with beds.  Or the spell that I cast in the Elder Scrolls to protect myself.  I have to check the online dictionary to see how the word can be used to describe "news".  Learn something new every day. 

PRC

A ward is an area of a city in municipal politics.  So in Vancouver a ward may be Kitsilano, another ward may be East Van, and yet another downtown.  Each ward is represented by a councillor on the city council.

Jacob

Quote from: PRC on October 20, 2017, 05:57:37 PM
A ward is an area of a city in municipal politics.  So in Vancouver a ward may be Kitsalano, another ward may be East Van, and yet another downtown.  Each ward is represented by a councillor on the city council.

You're right, though Vancouver has at-large members of city council rather than ward representatives.

Monoriu

Quote from: PRC on October 20, 2017, 05:57:37 PM
A ward is an area of a city in municipal politics.  So in Vancouver a ward may be Kitsilano, another ward may be East Van, and yet another downtown.  Each ward is represented by a councillor on the city council.

So I learn even more.  I think I watched too much news in Chinese back then.  Should have switched to the English channel more often. 

crazy canuck

Andrew Coyne has identified what is likely the most damning conflict of interest/lack of competence

QuoteBill C-27 would allow federally regulated employers to provide their workers with so-called "target benefit" pension plans, a product of which Morneau Shepell happens to be a leading provider. As executive chairman of the company, Morneau had himself called for just such a change. Now here he was, as minister, writing it into law. Did he at least recuse himself from discussing the legislation? Asked directly in Parliament, Morneau did not answer.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/andrew-coyne-morneaus-actions-show-a-critical-lack-of-judgment

I heard someone defending him yesterday say words to the effect of "Anyone who knows Morneau, knows he did not enter politics to enrich himself".  If we take that as true and further infer that he did not make the change in Bill C-27 to enrich himself and his company, then the only conclusion we are left with is what Coyne identified as a critical lack of judgment.

And if their star cabinet minster lacks the necessary judgment on these weighty public policy and taxation issues - who is exercising the necessary judgments?

To quote Malthus

QuoteThe Libs have to position themselves as at least competent managers.

saskganesh

Well, looking at Ontario (which is often the national bellwether), you don't have to be competent or honest: you just have not to be batshit crazy, stoopid, or willfully evil (Ontario Conservatives, take a bow) .

Coyne, a conservative who uses reason, and has principles, is curiously unpopular with much of the Conservative base.
humans were created in their own image

crazy canuck

Quote from: saskganesh on October 22, 2017, 03:27:41 PM
Coyne, a conservative who uses reason, and has principles, is curiously unpopular with much of the Conservative base.

He is not a social conservative...

Grey Fox

It is so weird the economic conservatives have disappeared.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.