News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Played some more last night. Beat back another Fatamid invasion, conquered the island of Sicily when I noticed the Kingdom of Sicily was ruled by a queen and I had a claim.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Noticed some random Duke was plotting to make me Holy Roman Emperor, joined his faction and put it at 146%.  Won the ensuing war easily.

Was immediately embroiled in four more wars as Pommerania and France attacked and rebels rose up. Defeated the rebels and Pommerania, but lost a county to France. 

Gave the Kingdom of Jerusalem to a brother. Formed the Kingdoms of Bavaria and Germany and gave them to a brother and uncle respectively. Formed the Kingdoms of Burgundy and Lothringia a bit later and gave them to the vassals I liked most.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Tuscany  to Italy to HRE game is going well. Conquered Sicily for a claimant and just changed the succession to primogeniture to keep all those German dukes from voting against me.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Conquered France for a claimant and then created Aquitaine to neuter that threat a bit.

After that I had to fight of an Egyptian jihad for Jerusalem and then a major Adventurer invasion of Galilee.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Just conquered Mauritania in a crusade.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Further to that:

https://www.pcgamer.com/crusader-king-2-easter-egg-lets-you-rule-an-animal-kingdom/

QuoteCrusader King 2 easter egg lets you rule an animal kingdom

Play as a dynasty of cats, dogs, even dragons.

Finally, after years of waiting, you'll soon be able to conquer Crusader Kings 2's medieval world as a duck. This might be the Holy Fury expansion's single greatest feature, but you probably wouldn't find it unless you were looking. Not into fowl? You can play as a dynasty of hedgehogs, cats, elephants and even dragons. One of my neighbouring counts is an egg.

'Animal Kingdom' is a hidden setting for Holy Fury's random maps. Instead of playing on the historical map, you can play around with a list of settings and have the game generate something new. The geography stays the same, but entirely new kingdoms, religions and characters are summoned into existence. They're all human, however.

When you're putting together you're new world, you can pick between historical or random cultures, and it looks like that's all. Keep clicking, however, even if it looks like you're just seeing the same two options, and eventually you'll find the easter egg. I say eventually, but really it's just a few more clicks. Et voila! A world populated by aristocratic beasites, as well as humans living alongside them.

As King Darkwing, I ruled a large—but not the largest—kingdom of waterfowl in what is, in our reality, Central Europe. Things were a little tense for a while since my neighbour was a Holy Roman Empire analogue that was ruled by dragons. I didn't fancy my chances in a war, so I married off my daughter, also a duck, to a scaly duke. There was a bit of strife within the kingdom itself, too, because it turns out that not all ducks follow the same religion.

Most the ducks, myself included, logically worshipped The Sky and followed the rules from The Books of Blessed Virtues, but there were also some loons who worshipped The Moon, of all things, and had their own holy text, The Hallowed Manuscript. I'm in the process of explaining why they are wrong and we are right. Mostly with swords. All of these religions are randomly generated.

So Crusader Kings 2 is Redwall now, I guess. I love it.

Holy Fury is due out on November 13.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

WTF?

QuoteThis might be the Holy Fury expansion's single greatest feature
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I mean, it doesn't affect me in anyway, but does make me concerned about this is what happens when you have people who ostensibly turned out for a historically themed game.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Considering that half the subreddit for CK2 seems to be about incest memes and Glitterhoof, I'm thinking they're playing to their audience. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

I don't think I'll ever warm to reddit.

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on November 12, 2018, 06:27:39 AM
you'll soon be able to conquer Crusader Kings 2's medieval world as a duck

...but there were also some loons who worshipped The Moon

:bleeding:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 12, 2018, 07:17:19 AM
I don't think I'll ever warm to reddit.

Nope.  Never registered, never posted there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

I don't get the Glitterhoof stuff.  I mean, I can see it being funny the first couple of times people stumbled over it, but I just don't understand people getting all excited about it.  Except the Brain.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point