News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It's just advertising. Don't judge a game by the cover.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

I know, but the game is named "Crusader Kings", Henry VIII was born after the last crusade took place.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 23, 2018, 02:12:29 AM

I think you can tell a bit about a product by how it is advertised. Using Renaissance people to represent Medieval people is not a great sign that this game takes its history very seriously.

Also I am heartily sick of Henry VIII being used as some kind of example of a King and man of the olden times. He was pretty exceptional and unusual and should not be used to represent 'generic pre-industrial Euro monarch'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

What about a game called "Crusader Kings" that doesn't show the Middle East?  That seems like a fairly big omission.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2018, 06:48:38 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 23, 2018, 02:12:29 AM

I think you can tell a bit about a product by how it is advertised. Using Renaissance people to represent Medieval people is not a great sign that this game takes its history very seriously.

Also I am heartily sick of Henry VIII being used as some kind of example of a King and man of the olden times. He was pretty exceptional and unusual and should not be used to represent 'generic pre-industrial Euro monarch'.

If you get your history from what's covered by TV documentaries, you will quickly conclude that once the Roman Empire fell, Henry VIII started killing off his wifes, which directly led to WW2, which was won by the Normandy landings and by yelling Nuts in the Ardennes. Celebration didn't last long though because Kennedy got shot and then Princess Diana died.

celedhring

Was playing as a lowly French count and had one of those great fun things happening. I became the lover of the Queen of France, with the net result that the 4 children she's had have all been mine, while the King of France became a massive cuckold. Funny thing is, only the youngest son has been exposed as a bastard - which is when the king found out about us. Mysteriously, he died shortly afterwards (not by my hand, I the queen herself was behind it). Now, I recognized the official bastard, and he's now my heir (my own wife only having given me female children). This will give me the Dukedom of Anjou and a much coveted jump in the ranks. But I wonder, is there any chance that the other 3 bastards will at some point exposed as such?

Sometimes I just love this game. This could be part of a tv show.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

The Minsky Moment

"the Lame" is redundant though.  All kings of Sweden were pretty lame.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

This seems... unnecessary.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

I wonder how many DLCs away we are from a Vinland expansion.  :hmm:

dps

Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2018, 04:36:53 AM
This seems... unnecessary.

Yeah.  I'm not particularly opposed to having more counties, but Iceland isn't a place that needs them.  And given some of the other screenshots I've seen, I'm not a big fan of exactly how they are redrawing the counties in other places, either.

garbon

I think the new Scandinavian ones look a bit ugly but not opposed to them in those regions for more strategic depth. None of that is need for Iceland. :D

Razgovory

Iceland wasn't even settled in the days of Charlemagne.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on July 06, 2018, 01:27:22 PM
Iceland wasn't even settled in the days of Charlemagne.
Could have been Irish hermits there in the 9th century.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points