And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on February 27, 2018, 12:25:28 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 27, 2018, 12:24:00 PM
Had my first play with this a couple of days ago, seems a great deal better than what I remember of CK1.

Don't be hung up on not understanding the mechanics, just go with the flow. The enjoyment of the game plummets greatly when you have figured out the mechanisms and can run circles around the AI.

Thanks for that , Tamas, very sound advice.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Had my first play with this a couple of days ago, seems a great deal better than what I remember of CK1.

Don't be hung up on not understanding the mechanics, just go with the flow. The enjoyment of the game plummets greatly when you have figured out the mechanisms and can run circles around the AI.

But, but, I enjoy running circles around the AI.  :)

Valmy

No wonder I enjoy this game so much :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Was really lucky today. The Tulunid sultans just kept dying of disease one after another. So me and the King of Jerusalem just rolled over Egypt and much of North Africa. The rest of North Africa was conquered by a Catholic liberator and they got enough to crown themselves King.

The crusade in Hispania has been going strong for a while but hasn't been able to win.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Rome was taken by the Norse, making it easy for me to take the city and end the schism. No need to wait forever to forge claims for me. Thomas is now known as Thomas the Saint.

The crusade against Hispania is a success! Too bad for the papacy that the King of Brittany converted to Orthodoxy.

The Kingdom of Jerusalem liberates the rest of Egypt.

Sweden manages to reform the Germanic Faith. The Brits and Germans are in trouble.

The realm towards the end of the reign of Agathe the Butcher. Not really sure why that name stuck considering she didn't govern that much more harshly than her predecessors, but when you father is a Saint I guess you get judged more harshly. She lived well into her seventies and her son predeceased her, allowing her young adult grandson to take the throne after her.

Kosmas has only reigned a few years, but his vassals have conquered the Arabian coast, capturing the saracen temples of Mecca and Medina. I really want to conquer the North African coast, but the enemy is too strong for me to crush before everyone else in Eurasia overruns my borders. Going to have to wait for the infamy to go down. The fact that my vassals keep conquering the Ukraine and I keep giving them independence helps.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

The announced update to Crusades might rope me back into this game. That looks really, really good and is what I've been waiting a long time for.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on May 14, 2018, 08:25:24 PM
The announced update to Crusades might rope back into this game. That looks really, really good and is what I've been waiting a long time for.

What kind of changes?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on May 14, 2018, 08:25:24 PM
The announced update to Crusades might rope me back into this game. That looks really, really good and is what I've been waiting a long time for.

Yeah, about time. I wonder of the 'special crusades' will also make more use of the knightly orders.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

That sounds good. Might make me play this game again.

garbon

They look to be swooping up various mod ideas for the new expansion (and I don't blame them).

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/baptism-or-war-force-the-choice-in-crusader-kings-ii-holy-fury.1098280/

QuoteBaptism or War! Force the Choice in Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury

"One heart and one soul against the Christian name." So went the message from Estonia after the routing of the Teuton invaders at Umera. The fires of faith burn hot, as local gods come under attack from a universal church that offers a stark choice - God or the Sword?

Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury is the newest and one of the most wide-ranging expansions to Paradox Development Studio's beloved medieval grand strategy role-playing game. Take charge of a body of righteous warriors in Holy Fury, leading your army on a Crusade for the faith, or defending against attackers. Holy Fury takes its inspiration from the Northern Crusaders of Catholic Europe against its Pagan neighbors. Play either side in a new holy war.

In Holy Fury, Pagan rulers who reform their religion instead of converting will have a chance to design that new Reformed Paganism. A religion of peace or one of war? Will you be guided by the stars or bow to the whims of bloodthirsty gods? Who will lead this new church? Build a new creed on the ashes of the old ways.

Other features in Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury include:

• Shattered and Random Worlds: Start your game on a fictional map of Europe as a small realm fighting for space, or on a random map with historical analogues for the great kingdoms of yore.
  • Warrior Lodges: Join a Pagan warrior lodge and raid your way up the ranks, unlocking access to powerful allies and greater military skill.
  • Legendary Bloodlines: Descendants of great warrior heroes will have bonuses that match the accomplishments of their forefathers, including historical bloodlines of Charlemagne, Genghis Khan and others.
  • Sway or Antagonize Your Neighbors: Try to win a reluctant vassal through charm and persuasion, or provoke someone you want to push into conflict.
  • Sainthood: Pious Catholics can become canonized, passing on their glory to their descendants and making their resting place a site of great value.
  • Coronations: Feudal kings and emperors must find clergy to crown them, since all power descends from the heavens.
  • New Crusade Events: Deeper gameplay for the religious wars of the era.
  • New Succession Laws: A Pagan Elder Council may have the final word in how a realm is divided among heirs, or a ruler may challenge his brother to combat to unify a realm.
  • And much more: Changes to religion, custom names for people or objects, deeper baptismal mechanics, lists of people you've killed, and other small changes for flavor and variety.

Like all Crusader Kings II expansions, Holy Fury will be accompanied by a major free update for all Crusader Kings players, including changes to how Crusades work.

Holy Fury is coming in 2018 for the suggested retail price of $19.99..
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

garbon

So they decide to make it into a board game and launch it with a kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/crusader-kings-the-board-game-lead-your-dynasty-to

Also, I guess for broader appeal they chose people not of the CK era?

Habbaku

Yeah, using Henry VIII was what prevented me from even thinking of ordering that. There are dozens of valid Medieval people to use, but they choose...a Tudor.

-J. R. R. Tolkien