News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings 2 Redux

Started by Martinus, March 21, 2011, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Grallon, did you ever get any answer from the HIP people?  Your didn't have any better luck on the main CKII forum at Paradox than you did here.

Grallon

Quote from: dps on October 23, 2017, 11:35:35 AM
Grallon, did you ever get any answer from the HIP people?  Your didn't have any better luck on the main CKII forum at Paradox than you did here.

That's the source of the problem:

QuoteThis annoyed me too and it seems to be a Paradox issue, but HIP is the reason you have this bug, fortunately it's pretty easy to fix.

This has to do with the separate de jure drift defines for kingdoms and empires. In the base game these are identical but in emf_defines.lua kingdom drift is doubled... except it's not:

Code:

NDefines.NTitle.GAME_RULES_DEJURE_LONG = 200
NDefines.NTitle.GAME_RULES_DEJURE_LONG_EMPIRE = 100
NDefines.NTitle.GAME_RULES_DEJURE_SHORT = 70
NDefines.NTitle.GAME_RULES_DEJURE_SHORT_EMPIRE = 35
NDefines.NTitle.GAME_RULES_DEJURE_SHORTEST = 20
NDefines.NTitle.GAME_RULES_DEJURE_SHORTEST_EMPIRE = 10

As you can see empire de jure drift seems to be the shorter of the two but the defines are actually reversed, with the "empire" define being used for kingdoms. The reason your timer is going over 100 is because the kingdoms need 200 years to drift into your empire. Swapping the values fixes this weird issue but the timer will remain the same, with kingdoms drifting into empires in 100/200 years, like this:

Code:

NDefines.NTitle.GAME_RULES_DEJURE_LONG = 100
NDefines.NTitle.GAME_RULES_DEJURE_LONG_EMPIRE = 200
NDefines.NTitle.GAME_RULES_DEJURE_SHORT = 35
NDefines.NTitle.GAME_RULES_DEJURE_SHORT_EMPIRE = 70
NDefines.NTitle.GAME_RULES_DEJURE_SHORTEST = 10
NDefines.NTitle.GAME_RULES_DEJURE_SHORTEST_EMPIRE = 20

It seems Paradox never bothered to check if these work properly... You could also just set both to the same number. Although it's been a while since I looked at this so I might have mixed something up.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grinning_Colossus

Big implications for geopolitics if true.

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

garbon

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-78-polishing-up-the-map.1067226/

I think P'dox has forgotten their old mantra (which was true) about how more provinces doesn't necessarily equal better gameplay. CK2 now getting in the mix for new provinces.

Quote- Map Update to Poland
    - General overhaul to the De Jure territory of the Kingdom of Poland
    - Vistula (major) river tweaked to be more geographically accurate
    - (Minor) river Oder tweaked for more geographical accuracy
    - (Minor) rivers Warta and Bug added
    - 6 new provinces, mostly improving granularity in Mazovia and Lesser Poland
    - All old provinces moved and reshaped for more consistency
    - Some updated provincial Coats of Arms
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

Quote from: garbon on January 29, 2018, 07:44:14 AM
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-78-polishing-up-the-map.1067226/

I think P'dox has forgotten their old mantra (which was true) about how more provinces doesn't necessarily equal better gameplay. CK2 now getting in the mix for new provinces.

That's a level of details worthy of the HIP mod.  I wonder if they've been collaborating.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Josquius

How does CK2 DLC work?

As looking through event files for something totally different... I stumble on Jade Dragon events.

#Asking to become tributary
character_event = {
    id = JD.20027
   has_dlc = "Jade Dragon"
    hide_window = yes
    is_triggered_only = yes
    immediate = { FROMFROM = { letter_event = { id = JD.20028 } } }
}

I do not have this DLC.
Could I delete the has jade dragon check and effectively cheat myself into having it? :unsure:
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

There's a Valentine's Day sale over at Paradox and wanted to seize the chance to get a few CK2 DLCs I'm missing.

If I wanted to get a few DLCs out of this list:

- Horse Lords
- Rajas of India
- Charlemagne
- Way of Life
- Reaper's Due
- Monks & Mystics

Which ones should I absolutely get?

Zanza

Way of Life - no matter what faction or time or so you play, it will be relevant.

dps

Yes, Way of Life is essential, IMO.

I would also recommend Horse Lords, even if you're not interested in playing any nomads--the hordes are more the threat they should be early on, but lose strength to relative to feudal realms over time.

You only need Rajas of India if you want to play in India.  Personally, I like playing there, but some people don't.  When the DLC first came out, it caused a big drop in performance on many people's systems, but recent patches have pretty much fixed that.

Charlemagne opens up the 769 bookmark, so you'll want it if you want a longer potential game.  I almost always start in 769, but some folks aren't fans.

I don't recommend either of the other two.  They introduce features that are either overpowered, underdeveloped, or just silly IMO.

garbon

Reaper's Due is strange in that hospitals and doctors were unnecessary. I guess it was okay to show the different types of plagues?

Monks and Mystics is just completely bizarre as it instituted those terrible secret religious practitioners that could lead to massive changes in religion from religions that were never openly around in a realm. Also, I don't know why they thought it would be a good idea to introduce global societies nor why they thought a good idea would be to include things like say having the Dominicans as an order existing from the beginning of all starts (or rulers dressing in monk garb). The main draw for me was the English and German portraits and the passive councilor actions. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Thanks for the advice: ended up getting Way of Life, Horse Lords and Reaper's Due. The latter one mostly because it has always sorta annoyed me that the Black Plague doesn't really feel very momentous in the game - I hope the DLC improves that.

celedhring

Having a blast playing a Zoroastrian kingdom in the 867 start. I have even started an AAR over at Paradox. I hadn't done an AAR in decades.

garbon

I've been enjoying a game as the Western Roman Empire in the 'When The World Stopped Making Sense' mod. Learning a bit on the modding front as I go to make some key events occur (Anglo-Saxon invasion of Great Britain - well British Isles in my case as Ireland & Scotland only fragmented bits, England & Wales have been solidified to Roman rule; Bolghar/Slavic migrations; Rise and split of Islam). 

One of my emperors decided to settle the Picts as a feoderatus state within the Empire and so there's now a thriving Druidic Pictish settlement in Algeria. :D

celedhring

I have to try that mod eventually. Is it stable?

garbon

I think I've put in 6-7 hours now and I've only had one crash when I'd first gotten into the actual game screen.  Biggest fault right now is that it doesn't currently simulate some of that stuff that I'm adding in - so typical game play won't see one wanted to play much further into the 7th century.

It is a shame that they don't just have as standard a temporary setup for Islam spreading. There's an experimental version but it doesn't work all that well with result that Islam is generally confined to just Arabia (which isn't all that surprising given that Byzantines and Sassanids don't historically duke it out but given the impact that Islam had would be nice to see even a temporary overpowered chain to make sure it spreads - which is what I'm piecing together for myself).