News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on March 24, 2019, 07:33:19 AM
If this BS doesn't subside after the European elections, I'll start thinking he is preparing a Hungarian exit from the EU.

Dare we hope?

Admiral Yi

Utilities as in water and electricity?  What does JunkerSoros have  to do with that?

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2019, 01:17:56 PM
Utilities as in water and electricity?  What does JunkerSoros have  to do with that?

Well it was the key point of the 2014 election campaign. I mean the government forcing companies to lower prices and also forcing them to showcase this fact on all bills.

The iron there, BTW, is that gas (with which most homes are heated) is not cheap at all, comparatively, especially during those days. Primary reason for that has been the middle-man company installed between the gas imports and the buyers in Hungary by the state - a middle-man company with lots of ties to Orban and his circle.

So this is also a reach back to a familiar election-winning narrative, so might be just a half-desperate run out of ideas.

But on the long run, a "showdown" with the EU is inevitable. Orban has been gradually but constantly escalating things since 2002. His only reason de e'tre politically since then has been a siege mentality instilled into his followers then later the country. He cannot de-escalate or afford to run out of enemies because then the reason to put up with his numerous shits (of which most of his voters are well aware but put up with) will cease and he'll be out.

Admiral Yi

Thanks, but I still don't understand what that has to do with the EU.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2019, 03:55:31 PM
Thanks, but I still don't understand what that has to do with the EU.

Precisely.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on March 24, 2019, 02:35:30 PM
But on the long run, a "showdown" with the EU is inevitable. Orban has been gradually but constantly escalating things since 2002. His only reason de e'tre politically since then has been a siege mentality instilled into his followers then later the country. He cannot de-escalate or afford to run out of enemies because then the reason to put up with his numerous shits (of which most of his voters are well aware but put up with) will cease and he'll be out.

He sounds like a cult leader :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2019, 06:37:15 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 24, 2019, 02:35:30 PM

He sounds like a cult leader :hmm:

Well, yes.

Tamas

Today the Foreign Minister (I shudder every time when I realise that clown is Hungary's foreign minister) rose in Parliament to update everyone on Teh Dangers.

Apparently, "Brussels" now wants the UN Migration Accord (some recently accepted wish-washy nothing) be "mandatory for all member states", therefore the "disputes with Brussels over migration are far from over" in fact "a new battle is about to begin, against secret Brusselian plans for migration".

Tamas

This is "Soros's Budapest HQ" where "they hold Jewish Purim parties", according to some pro-government "journalist".

It is a fairly run-down pub/club called Aurora in a fairly run-down district of Budapest. As the name suggests it is a gathering place of the far-left\communist\punk youth.

I never even heard about it before the district's Fidesz-led leadership started a campaign against them to have them closed. But since then my respect has grown for them, even though I am pretty sure their politics isn't really for me. They have been fighting and the local powers have not found a legal way to get rid of them.

I especially liked their clientele when they recently made a stand.

Lately, there's a new and "ambitious" little group of right-wing "bloggers" a few bald-headed footbal hooligans, who go to opposition events and stream live as they try to bully the event into silence. They have not resorted to actual violence, but there was plenty of implying it. All their targets handled it with dignity and bravery but of course you have to be careful as who knows whom the police would support/help.

Anyways, 3 of these skinheads went one night to this Aurora pub because there was some kind of a political discussion event, and they streamed live as usual. However, they miscalculated, because they ended up overnumbered by the pub's clientele who stopped them outside the venue, in a live-streamed exchange of mild and not-so-mild insults. I saw the recording and I must say it was satisfying to see and hear those fascists noticably cowed by the realisation that their supposed victims are quite ready to fight back. They ended up retreating. 

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on March 26, 2019, 10:27:36 AMIt is a fairly run-down pub/club called Aurora in a fairly run-down district of Budapest. As the name suggests it is a gathering place of the far-left\communist\punk youth.

How old are you? 50 something?  :lol: That looks like your run of the mill hippie/alternative/hipster hangout that you find in almost any big city in the Western world.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on March 26, 2019, 10:36:01 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 26, 2019, 10:27:36 AMIt is a fairly run-down pub/club called Aurora in a fairly run-down district of Budapest. As the name suggests it is a gathering place of the far-left\communist\punk youth.

How old are you? 50 something?  :lol: That looks like your run of the mill hippie/alternative/hipster hangout that you find in almost any big city in the Western world.

:rolleyes: I know. FFS Budapest has about 300 of them. But the Aurora IS a gathering place of far-leftists.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on March 26, 2019, 11:23:52 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 26, 2019, 10:36:01 AM

:rolleyes: I know. FFS Budapest has about 300 of them. But the Aurora IS a gathering place of far-leftists.

Then you should have shown a picture that doesn't make it look like a place that serves overpriced vegan smoothies while you surf the web on a Mac and discuss your plans about a new app.  :P

Tamas

But the contrast between government propaganda of it being a vile HQ of evil activity vs. the reality of communist hipsters putting their bare feet on chairs :P

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on March 26, 2019, 12:54:47 PM
But the contrast between government propaganda of it being a vile HQ of evil activity vs. the reality of communist hipsters putting their bare feet on chairs :P

They already ride bikes and I'm sure those guys are vegan, and non Hungarian food is served there, they don't need to be commies on top of all that. I'd even say that it would make them look quite passè, tbh.  :P

Didn't some Polish minister actually once used "bike riding vegan" as an insult against westerners, or somesuch?

Valmy

They only ride donkey carts in Poland.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."