News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Is the wider Hungarian public aware of these shenanigans happening? How do Orbanist media frame it?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on January 15, 2019, 05:39:38 AM
Is the wider Hungarian public aware of these shenanigans happening? How do Orbanist media frame it?

It's hard for me to judge how much awareness there is outside of families with people who use the Internet, although the one remaining truly private national TV does cover them.

The Orbanist media frames it as desperate pro-migration MPs on Soros' payroll turn violent to press their agenda of unlimited immigration. No, I am not exaggerating.

Tamas

On a couple of smaller protests recently a 18 years old girl (in her senior year at high school), Blanka Nagy spoke quite passionetly against the government. She made some fame for herself in Internet circles at least, because of said passion and the rather vulgar language she used. Language I quite agree with given the general situation, but on these protests when there are speeches it is usually opposition MPs and leaders of NGOs so they still keep acting like they are part of a normal society and should act and speak as such.

Showing the pettiness of the regime, a character-murder has started against her. A prominent journalist/TV personality of the regime well known for using similar language as Blanka regularly, called her on national TV a "cretin, pathetic, rotten little prole", while one of their online news site reported that she is "failing 3 classes and barely attends class". The latter is against what she told of herself and she certainly doesn't sound like somebody not attending school, but I guess the truth matters little.

Also another high school (not hers) issued a communique where they condemned her actions and urger her school to discipline her.

I think she will face major issues during her final exams and if I was her I would not put much hope in gaining access to a Hungarian university.

EDIT: in fact, 4 separate government "newspapers" ran the same story about her and her grades. They recon she won't get her diploma.

Oexmelin

She could always attend the Central European Universi... oh right.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Brain

Thought begets heresy. Heresy begets retribution.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

The Attorney's Office is firmly under Fidesz control, has been for about a decade, so no Fidesz-related crime gets to the prosecution stage unless it's a minor official who managed to fall out of favour.

But sometimes Fidesz potentats would sue journalists for saying stuff about them, and then the judges would set things straight, in a way.

The best are:

The present Director of the state TV can be legally labelled "news manipulator". When he was still a lowly editor (4 years or so) he was blatantly cutting together outrageously fake news coverages. A journo called him out on it and called him that in an article. Editor/Director sued. Judge decided that since the manipulation of the news by him is proven, calling him a news manipulator does not break the law.

The Propaganda Minister (he has some less bombastic title but that's what he does) ran a magnificent property racket with well known organised crime figures when he was mayor of one of the richest districts of Budapest. He sued an opposition politician when called him "a criminal who does business with criminals". The court however declared (two years ago) that a politician should not fear from legal reprecussions when expressing opinions based on reasonable concerns, and because of the articles referenced by the opposition politician, he had good reason to conclude that the Minister was a "criminal who does business with criminals".

1.5 years ago the Supreme Court declared that another opposition politician ha the right under free speech to label the Attorney's Office "Fidesz-controlled". That was his personal opinion, which can only be sanctioned against if it is "smearing and unfounded in facts".

Probably more seriously, and more recently, the president of the Central Bank (an economist believing in some numerical mystic shit - e.g. number 8 had to be removed from all spots of his building including the parking lot) lost a case when he wanted compensation for an opposition guy saying he steals public money. The judge has ruled that "there are facts which seem to support this conclusion" so there is no grounds for compensation.

AnchorClanker

Delightful.

Wouldn't you be better off just exhuming Admiral Horthy and cloning him?  It would certainly be an improvement on Orban, no?
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Tamas

Quote from: AnchorClanker on January 19, 2019, 01:00:14 AM
Delightful.

Wouldn't you be better off just exhuming Admiral Horthy and cloning him?  It would certainly be an improvement on Orban, no?

Well I think to the extent they have any idelogical aims in terms of the cultural setup of the country (and they do have extremly little), restoring the Horthy-era is it. They have been renaming parks and squares and streets and whatnot and they have been restoring/recreating statues and such. For example, the statue of Imre Nagy, the communist who ended up leading the 1956 revolutio and was executed for this, was recently sneaked out of the square in front of Parliament (during the middle of the night) to be replaced by whatever was standing there during Horthy.

Tamas

Meanwhile the Attorney's Office had a good hard look at the Members of Parliament being beaten up and literally thrown out from the state TV HQ back in December, and concluded tha the MPs were not there in an official capacity (because their aim was to force news coverage on the protests going on outside), therefore the TV did the right thing, and the MPs are now under investigation for disturbing the operations there.

KRonn

Thanks for the reporting Tamas. Seems you have about as much a political donnybrook there as we have here in the US.

Valmy

QuoteThe Craziest lies of Hungarian media.

Huh.

QuoteLie #8: Essen (in German: to eat) would rename itself to Fasten (as in "to fast") due to Ramadan

The Hungarian public service media has fallen for a German comedy news sites joke. They claimed that Germany is going through an Islamization, with the latest milestone of Essen renaming itself to Fasten due to the Muslim holiday of Ramadan — a time of fasting in Muslim tradition.

I recall propaganda networks of other countries reporting 'The Onion' articles as stuff the US media is actually reporting to back up their narrative. I really don't think this was a mistake by the Hungarian Ministry for Public Enlightenment and Propaganda.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Somebody(s) have been leaking unedited footages from the state TV recently.

One which wouldn't be too informative for you on account of being in Hungarian was really good: a supposed independent political expert/consultant (government mouthpiece) was being interviewed and the reporter actually reminds him that he forgot a line and he should make sure to add it, the independent expert meekly agrees, then they take another take.

Here, however, is from the footage from the December row with the MPs in the TV HQ. The state TV was filming but of course only released heavily cut and edited footage. This is when they threw two of the MPs out. As I mentioned, the Attorney's Office has declared the MPs to be in the wrong and they are currently under investigation for distrupting public service and also as I understand, for causing bodily harm to the security guards (must be strained backs):

https://cdn.jwplayer.com/players/OE0d7LjY-Hp0mRubH.html

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on January 22, 2019, 11:52:22 AM

Huh.

QuoteLie #8: Essen (in German: to eat) would rename itself to Fasten (as in "to fast") due to Ramadan

The Hungarian public service media has fallen for a German comedy news sites joke. They claimed that Germany is going through an Islamization, with the latest milestone of Essen renaming itself to Fasten due to the Muslim holiday of Ramadan — a time of fasting in Muslim tradition.

I recall propaganda networks of other countries reporting 'The Onion' articles as stuff the US media is actually reporting to back up their narrative. I really don't think this was a mistake by the Hungarian Ministry for Public Enlightenment and Propaganda.

I thought it was being renamed Fressen because Germans are beasts?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on January 22, 2019, 11:52:22 AM

Huh.

OTOH, Muslims eat like pigs at night during Ramadan so Essen it still makes sense.  :P