News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

The curtain was peeled a little too wide last night. The retiring actor gets put on the bench for the remainder of the season.

Not really a big deal.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Playoffs in the North Division start tonight - with Edmonton Oilers vs Winnipeg Jets. :w00t:

Now this game is huge - HUGE - for me, as a Winnipegger living in Edmonton.  I've got my Jets car flag on my car, my Jets flag-flag on my flagpole, and I'm wearing my Jets tie at work.

But there's a lot of bad mojo going on too.  In the olden days of the 80s the Jets played the Oilers 5 times in the playoffs - and lost all 5 times (all 5 of those years being ones where the Oilers won the Stanley Cup).  Jets also played the Oilers a lot this season - and lost the last 6 games in a row, being outscored 26-7.  Plus there are several Jets players who may or may not play tonight.

So we shall see what happens.  A lot of Oilers fans are already looking forward to the next round.  But here's hoping!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I mean Mark Messier and Wayne Gretzky are not skating out there for the Oilers so I don't think you need to worry too much about 1980s mojo.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I know the Caps have a long and infamous history of cheap shots and thuggery but it seems like Toronto's own Tom Wilson has turned them into the villains.

We'll see how things go in Boston tonight now that the Caps have dropped a game.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2021, 12:24:16 PM
I mean Mark Messier and Wayne Gretzky are not skating out there for the Oilers so I don't think you need to worry too much about 1980s mojo.

But Connor McDavid is.  He scored 105 points in a 56 game season, the highest in the league by a lot.

Second highest in the league was Leon Draisaitl, with 84 points.  He... also plays for the Oilers.

Third place is Brad Marchand with 69 points.

So I mean their weakness is they are hardly a balanced team.  If you can stop McDavid / Draisaitl you can beat them.  It's just that's a pretty big IF.

Grey Fox

You don't need to stop them. You need to outscore them when they are not on the ice.

Win 6-5.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 19, 2021, 12:33:33 PM
You don't need to stop them. You need to outscore them when they are not on the ice.

Win 6-5.

Nope.  They've tried that in the past.  You can't run-and-gun with those two.

No - slow them down, play a hard-hitting game, count on Vezino-winning goalie to stop the chances that do get through, and count on your own shooters to bury a few.

Valmy

Yeah Urinating Tree did a gag where Edmonton was trying to make it illegal to change lines.

He didn't think much of the Jets I have to say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9cSbYzT9OY&t=469s

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 19, 2021, 12:43:55 PM
Yeah Urinating Tree did a gag where Edmonton was trying to make it illegal to change lines.

He didn't think much of the Jets I have to say: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9cSbYzT9OY&t=469s

I appreciate you queuing it up to the right spot of the video.

I'm not as negative as that guy, but I'm also not betting any money on the Jets either!

viper37

Habs should be out playing golf by May 25th or 27th.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

4-1 Jets. :ccr

Now two of those were empty-netters so let's not get cocky, and the Jets were outshot - but relying on the reigning Best Goalie in the League(tm) was always part of Teh Plan.

Josephus

The irony is the Leafs have a semi-realistic chance of winning the cup; but odds are there won't be a parade  :(
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Toronto's No Fun Summer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 19, 2021, 10:53:51 PM
but relying on the reigning Best Goalie in the League(tm) was always part of Teh Plan.
you mean there are other good goalies in this league, beside Carey Price?!  Shocking!  Montreal's media never told me that!
:D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Apparently Canada lost to Latvia in men's hockey.

Latvians pay their respects at the Canadian embassy in Riga:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.