And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2021, 09:05:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PMHU5pW7p4

Life imitates art.  Straight out of the movie Goon.

Exhibit 2345235246 why the NHL isn't worth watching.  Maybe one day they will not condone fighting.  But that doesn't seem to be a priority.

HVC

you just don't like the game, which is fine. it'd be like me complaining that i don't like basketball because of all the dribbling. Yes, i know there are no fights in international hockey. but they also use different rink sizes so its not exactly the same.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Fighting is pretty rare in the NHL these days. It is not the 1970s anymore.

A bunch of millionaires are just not as motivated to get their teeth knocked out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on March 10, 2021, 11:42:17 AM
you just don't like the game, which is fine. it'd be like me complaining that i don't like basketball because of all the dribbling. Yes, i know there are no fights in international hockey. but they also use different rink sizes so its not exactly the same.

The fact that you equate fighting with a fundamental part of the game is a big part of the problem.  Not sure what rink size has to do with stupid rules that condone fighting.

HVC

there isn't a fight every five minutes, but it happens. it is what it is. if you don't like it, fair, I'm not saying you should like it. you don't like the nhl. not everyone does.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Barrister

Ryan Reaves (the Vegas player) was born and raised in Winnipeg.  His father Willard Reaves is an American who played for the CFL Blue Bombers for several years, then stuck around after his playing career to raise his family.

He's arguably the last pure 'enforcer' in the NHL.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 10, 2021, 11:40:22 AM

Exhibit 2345235246 why the NHL isn't worth watching.  Maybe one day they will not condone fighting.  But that doesn't seem to be a priority.

It is on it's way out just like it was in the NBA & is in the MLB. You are not patient enough. Gary Bettman doesn't run a proactive organisation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 10, 2021, 01:28:09 PM

It is on it's way out just like it was in the NBA & is in the MLB. You are not patient enough. Gary Bettman doesn't run a proactive organisation.

I am pretty sure you told me the same thing a number of years ago.    :P

That is actually why I bothered posting something about hockey - it seems this is never going away.

Grey Fox

But it is going away, very slowly.

It took 20 years for helmets, it's going to take that again.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 10, 2021, 02:14:29 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 10, 2021, 01:28:09 PM

I am pretty sure you told me the same thing a number of years ago.    :P

That is actually why I bothered posting something about hockey - it seems this is never going away.

there are many less fights nowadays then there were 5-6 years ago.  And sports commenters have dropped the hypocrisy of denouncing violence in sports while cheering for hockey fights.  So, it's coming. 

But so far, there's still a large portion of the public that likes these fights, and they are increasingly turning toward other professional leagues that will offer them staged fights.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Barrister

Barrister

HVC

:lol:

I missed the game, I was working :(

Barrister

So here's an interesting one.

I a game last night NHL referee Tim Peel is caught on a "hot mic" to say "It wasn't much, but I wanted to get a (expletive) penalty against Nashville early in the".  Referees wanting to even the game has long been known to happen in the NHL.

So what does the NHL do?  They announce Tim Peel will never ref another game again (he was due to retire at the end of the season).

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-says-referee-tim-peel-will-no-longer-work-games-hot-mic-incident/