And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on July 23, 2020, 12:40:12 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean is about as anti-hipster as you can get. -_-

Thunderbird is also a mythic creature of First Nations spirituality.  In 2020 I wouldn't want to touch something like that with a 10' pole.

If that's your worry you might as well ask if the team had any focus groups with the descendants of Andromeda... how could they name their organization after an entity that terrorized her so!?

You get the First Nations on board with it from the start, bring tobacco gifts, have the ceremony and do it right. 

Anyways, I do like the sweaters, but not the name.

katmai

Fucking lame Name, of course Beeb likes it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

So the playoffs are underway, the Carey Price is keeping the Habs in the game, but all you talk about for 2 pages worth of comments is the name of some stupid hockey team that should have been located north and east of its current position?

You disapoint me guys. :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Hockey and August just don't feel right. I guess I am a creature of habit but these kinds of things are very seasonal to me.

I will make an effort to get into it though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 04, 2020, 10:17:42 PM
Hockey and August just don't feel right. I guess I am a creature of habit but these kinds of things are very seasonal to me.

I will make an effort to get into it though.
I understand.  I watched the Saturday game, I'm itching to subscribe to NHL central to watch other games, but really, I have lots of things to do in this time of the year, and I usually only watch hockey in winter and playoffs.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Just realized, I was right about the Jets moving away from Winnipeg to play their games.  :P

Admiral Yi

Kraken is kind of whatever, but why the singular?  Each player is a kraken and together they're the krakens.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 07, 2020, 05:48:06 AM
Kraken is kind of whatever, but why the singular?  Each player is a kraken and together they're the krakens.

According to Merriam-Webster, the plural of kraken is krakens or kraken, so it's correct. Moreover, shouting "Release the krakens!" sounds weird.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on August 11, 2020, 08:27:19 PM
Well. That one hurt.  :(

Blue Jackets fan? :console:

For some reason I thought you liked the Sabres.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sophie Scholl

I was a Sabres fan for a longtime, but their eternal awfulness finally broke me. I started rooting for Columbus like... 8 years ago as part of my gradual shift to all sports teams being Cleveland or Ohio based on the pro level (The Monsters are in Cleveland, aka the AHL team for the Jackets). When the Sabres and Jackets played in the Kraft Hockeyville game in Clinton, NY right next to my hometown, I made the decision that whoever won would be my #1 team going forward. In typical Sabres fashion, they blew a lead and lost so it has been the Jackets ever since.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Screw this!

At least the Orioles are starting hot.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2020, 09:48:03 PM
Screw this!

At least the Orioles are starting hot.
If the CH can win against Pittsburgh, nothing surprises me anymore.

viper37

Just for Valmy:
Barry Trotz is in Todd Reirdens' head and the results are clear on the ice

QuoteThe small type that summarizes the various series in the Stanley Cup playoffs would show that the New York Islanders lead the Washington Capitals three games to none in the first round, and across North America there's little more to learn than that. That competition could be staged in a bubble in Toronto or on the fifth moon of Jupiter, and fans in D.C. (and Austin? ;) ) might well read it as: Barry Trotz 3, Todd Reirden 0.

The coaching matchup has colored this series since before it began, and with the Capitals on the brink of being ousted, it's much more than a slight tint or a pale hue. Trotz has basically taken a black crayon and drawn a mustache on Reirden to mock him, then scribbled out any advantage the more talented Caps might have.

That Trotz is the better, more established coach who has built a new team in his image, just as he once built the Caps the same way, is not a surprise. Shoot, he won the Stanley Cup all of two years ago with the very team he's skating circles around now, then took the Islanders from irrelevant to threatening in a single season. That was all established before the puck dropped here.

But it's worth wondering as this season slips away just as it was restarting: How does Capitals General Manager Brian MacLellan evaluate Reirden, his choice as Trotz's replacement, in the midst of a tournament without fans, with no meaningful home-ice advantage and with key center Nicklas Backstrom on the shelf with a concussion? More than that, how does owner Ted Leonsis — never quick on the trigger finger with leadership positions — process all this information?

[...]

Valmy

:grr: The Caps have had shit goal tending ever since the NHL came back from the COVID cancellation, then they have one decent performance in goal and they lose anyway. My only consolation is that the Pens are out.