News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

got a box ticket for the CIBC OHL versus Russia game in London. That should be fun
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

So what is Rogers going to do with the Coach's Corner slot?  That slot has been owned by Don Cherry since 1982, but they did have others in that position beforehand (I think Howie Meeker once had it?).

The easiest fix would be to put Brian Burke into that position.  He already works for Sportsnet, has a bombastic personality in some ways similar to Cherry, but is certainly savvier in terms of knowing what to say / what not to say.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

So another hockey controversy.

Calgary Flames head coach was Bill Peters.  On Monday night former player Akim Aliu posted on Twitter about a time when Peters was his head coach in the AHL back in 2009.  Peters walked by Aliu in the dressing room, and said he was tired of listening to "fucking n-word shit music" (referring to the rap music Aliu was listening to).  She said variations on that phrase a couple more times, then left.  Aliu, of course, is black.

Aliu said he confronted the coach about it later that day, but nothing was resolved.  Apparently at a practice a couple of days later Peters barked at Aliu, Aliu responded with "don't fucking talk to me", and within days Aliu (who had been having a strong season) was sent to the ECHL, an even lower level of hockey.

Peters was immediately suspended.  Two team mates confirmed the story.  After two days Peters issued an apology - it very much had the aroma of being written by lawyers, but it was a full apology with no weasel words.

Today Peters was fired.

I want to hear the Flames reasoning on this, but I have a bit of an issue with this.  Clearly the words used in 2009 were completely unacceptable.  But so far no other allegation of Bill Peters using abusive racist language has come out in public (there have been examples of him being a jerk to players, but that's kind of how certain old-school coaches roll).

But should a person be fired for a single incident (if it was a single incident) that happened years before the person was even with the organization?

Camerus

Morally speaking: yes, if the behaviour passed a certain threshold. Racial abuse crosses that threshold IMO, particularly in our current day. It also significantly compromises the coach's moral authority and ability to lead in the future.

Financially speaking: yes. Marketing and sales are extremely important for a pro sports team. The organization doesn't need the drag on its brand.

HVC

Normal job, no*. A job that has to deal with PR, yeah he's getting fired every time.

*assuming the one incident years ago and never again as stipulated in the question
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PRC

Peters resigned today, he wasn't actually fired - but either way he was done with the Flames.

Barrister

Wound up going to the OIlers-Canes game last night.

It was kind of comical.  Canes get 3 goals in the first period.  Oilers do battle back and get it tied 3-3 (although the highlight of the comeback was the Oilers getting a penalty shot, then watching as McDavid comes in, bobbles the puck, and doesn't get a shot off).

Then, of course, the Canes rattle off three more, including the back-breaking 6th goal which is shot from centre ice cleanly yet Oilers goalie Koskinen doesn't stop.

Sophie Scholl

Bluejackets have been on a tear basically since.. the last time someone posted here!  They went from bottom of the league and time for a total rebuild to playoff contention.  Just... amazing to watch.  I definitely am enjoying the run, especially with having sworn off the NFL and baseball being a) out of season and b) a total shit show.  Hooray for hockey!  :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 23, 2020, 12:24:56 AM
Bluejackets have been on a tear basically since.. the last time someone posted here!  They went from bottom of the league and time for a total rebuild to playoff contention.  Just... amazing to watch.  I definitely am enjoying the run, especially with having sworn off the NFL and baseball being a) out of season and b) a total shit show.  Hooray for hockey!  :)

You just had to post this when the Jets lose to the Jackets... :mad:

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2020, 01:09:44 AM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 23, 2020, 12:24:56 AM

You just had to post this when the Jets lose to the Jackets... :mad:
It's not like they blew three consecutive leads and then lost.  Oh.  Right.  :goodboy:  But honestly, I didn't want to jinx it before the break.  I hope the hot streak continues.  Considering all the injuries they had, it is even more amazing.  I was a little afraid of the return of injured players messing with the mojo that was going on, but I think Bjorkstrand in his two games back has alleviated a lot of that concern.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

More than 24 hours later and the whole city of Edmonton seems to be buzzing about the Saturday Night Oilers-Flames game, which culminated in the ultra-rare goalie fight between the Oilers Mike Smith and the Flames Cam Talbot.  The last goalie fight was in 2013 as far as I can tell.

What made that fight extra odd is that last season, Mike Smith played for the Flames, and Cam Talbot played for the Oilers!

Josephus

A 42 year old Zamboni driver was called into action for Carolina yesterday against the Maple Leafs as the emerency goalie. After letting in his first two shots, he made 8 saves and CArolina won
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Camerus

There have been a lot of low points in the Laffs' most disappointing season in recent memory, but this one stands out as particularly debasing.

Grey Fox

They got 2 goals on 10 shots on him. That's a respectable average. That they couldn't stop the Carolina train on the other end is the real problem.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Habs trade Kovalchuk and Thompson.  I believe both will become free agents on July 1st, so Montreal could get them back if they both want it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.