News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

The Preds are now gone as well.

The Lightening, The Jets, The Flames...all gone.

The Sharks and Caps are next on the high seed chopping block. The Bruins better be sweating.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I am glad the Bruins pulled it out. Boston had not seen a major postseason victory in a few days since the Celtics swept the Pacers and they were due to end the drought.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 24, 2019, 07:26:22 AM
I am glad the Bruins pulled it out. Boston had not seen a major postseason victory in a few days since the Celtics swept the Pacers and they were due to end the drought.
Bah.  Boring sports are not much concern to me.

I am glad Boston wins when they thrash the Habs, but this... feels like an empty victory.  I mean, Toronto, yeah, ok, I guess there's this part of me that is still Canadian and want to hate Toronto... But it's so distant, it's like it doesn't matter, it's like hearing about victory or losses of the Canadian lacrosse team at the Olympics over Kazakstan... ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

I don't hate Toronto... I just hate the Toronto-based national sports media gushes over the Leafs whenever they are remotely relevant.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I am glad Boston is around to not be insufferable then

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2019, 11:58:23 AM
I don't hate Toronto... I just hate the Toronto-based national sports media gushes over the Leafs whenever they are remotely relevant.
Montreal has the same problem.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sophie Scholl

Anyone else joining the Jackets Bandwagon? :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 24, 2019, 03:09:22 PM

Yes. :)

Another dad at my kid's school who I've gotten to know is an Oilers fan, but he lived in Columbus for several years (I think he was getting his PhD from some school there), so we text back and forth during hockey games, and he's got me jumping on the bandwagon.

Plus I like the "all in" approach the GM took.  Not sure it was smart, but it's entertaining. :)

Valmy

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 24, 2019, 03:09:22 PM

I mean I wouldn't be sad if the Bruins lost or anything.

Barrister

Sorry V. :hug:

Man, this really is the crazy season of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2019, 12:12:41 AM
Sorry V. :hug:

Man, this really is the crazy season of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Well...it was pretty obvious they were better than the Caps from game 1, I just hoped their shitty goal tending on the road would carry the Caps to victory. Not to be.

Grey Fox

I'm sorry for it but I think I want the Boston teams to complete the Ultimate Grand Slam.

MLB - Winner
NFL - Winner
NBA - 2nd Round
NHL - 2nd Round
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on April 24, 2019, 11:58:23 AM

To be honest, Beeb, i know what you mean. Even during the intermission in one of yesterdays games, they were still going on about Toronto. I could see why everyone else is annoyed.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

So not NHL, but hockey related...

One of my colleagues in the office is also a hockey dad.  He's an interesting guy, former police who went to law school.  We're not super close because we're both more busy in out-of-work stuff (like our kids), but I have gone to him a few times for "hockey dad" kind of advice.  His kid plays goal at a high level for a high school prep team (Northern Alberta Xtreme if you must know).

Anyways, his kid is 14, and WHL draft eligible.  Apparently scouts have been sniffing around, but no guarantees.  So I saw him in court, he tried to play it off but you could tell he's a bit anxious about what might happen.  And now I've been checking the WHL draft listings every once in awhile just to see if his kid gets picked up or not.

And, by the way, yes - it is kind of insane to be drafting 14 year olds.

Barrister

So Edmonton Oilers announce Ken Holland as their new GM.

For those who don't know him, Ken Holland was the GM of the Detroit Redwings for 22 years, winning 3 Stanley Cups (and won a 4th as an assistant GM).  He was pushed upward earlier this year to make room for Steve Yzerman, a Hall of Fame player with the Redwings who has been GM of Tampa for 8 years until he stepped down to "spend more time with family" (he's maintained a residence in Detroit the entire time).

Holland apparently wasn't ready to retire just yet.

The argument against Holland is that he won most of his cups in the pre-cap era, where Detroit could just spend their way out of any problem.  But with that kind of track record he certainly has to be respected.  Interesting to see how this turns out.