News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Android Thread

Started by derspiess, March 06, 2011, 11:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdemar

My son got a Galaxy Nexus with 4.0 from the start, he seems content, but his poor dadday is confused :D

V

Zanza

I dropped my Galaxy S2 and the display broke. :(

Josquius

My problem with my android is the GPS is unreliable as sin. Wonder if theres a cheat to get it to work more regularly.
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on May 14, 2012, 04:47:08 AM
My problem with my android is the GPS is unreliable as sin. Wonder if theres a cheat to get it to work more regularly.

Off and on or inaccurate?  Without more information, it sounds like a hardware issue (not all GPS receivers are created equal).  What phone do you have?
Experience bij!

Josquius

Not sure of the model but some sort of waterproof Toshiba regza thing.

Accuracy is usually great when it does work. Sometimes though it just won't click initially. I turn on GPS then open the map app but it won't latch onto my current location. Nothing to do with tall buildings either, sometimes it works fine in the middle of Tokyo, other times up at the top of a mountain in the countryside it fails.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Since the last update I can't connect via USB and the battery life has been dreadful. Anyone else experienced this and have a easy and fast solution? :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Battery problems seem to have been fixed by a factory reset, USB port was defective and is now sent to repair. I'm going to be without a smartphone for 1-4 weeks, I don't know how I'll survive. :unsure:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Bought and EVO 4G LTE, which ironically means I'm giving up 4G for a while until Sprint rolls out their LTE network.  I miss my WiMAX 4G already.

But a dual-core 1.5 GHz processor, Ice Cream Sandwich, and a 720p display make up for it :)

I had it rooted until I stupidly installed the update to 4.0.3.  At least Google Wallet works now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

Quote from: Liep on July 30, 2012, 07:24:57 AM
Battery problems seem to have been fixed by a factory reset, USB port was defective and is now sent to repair. I'm going to be without a smartphone for 1-4 weeks, I don't know how I'll survive. :unsure:

I survived. The only thing I really missed was the 32gb of music storage, as I had to make due with my old 2gb ZEN player. Am I cured from the smartphone addiction?

derspiess

Quote from: Liep on August 09, 2012, 04:05:26 AM
Quote from: Liep on July 30, 2012, 07:24:57 AM

I survived. The only thing I really missed was the 32gb of music storage, as I had to make due with my old 2gb ZEN player. Am I cured from the smartphone addiction?

No, it will come back.  You're just in remission :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Wife got me a Kindle Fire as an early birthday present.  My inclination is usually to root these things and install a custom ROM as early as possible, but I might keep this as is.  The silk browser is fast as hell.

MadBurgerMaker

Hey Spiess, have you gotten your hands on one of the new Nexus 7 tablets yet? 

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 11, 2012, 02:59:34 AM
Hey Spiess, have you gotten your hands on one of the new Nexus 7 tablets yet? 

Was going to buy one until I ended up with the Kindle Fire.  But it looks like the best tablet deal out there.

derspiess

So my EVO 4G LTE experienced some irregularities this morning, and although I've rooted it and put it through all sorts of torture I don't think it's actually my fault.  Instead of the lock screen, when I push the power button I get what's best described as a still-shot of the "snow" you used to get on analog TV when it wasn't tuned to an active channel.  It will eventually get you to the 'normal' screen but you can tell the colors are washed out and it's nowehere near as responsive as it should be.  It's obviously either a problem with the display itself or with the GPU.  And it goes far beyond the custom ROM I was using since the display problems happen when you're in the bootloader, recovery, etc.  I've only had the phone since early August, so it's going back to Sprint for a replacement.

Only problem was that I had unlocked the bootloader and rooted the phone, so on the bootloader screen it said "Unlocked" and "Tampered".  Or at least it would if you were able to see the bootloader screen, which you couldn't.  But I'm sure they have other ways of finding out.  They obviously won't honor the warranty if you've done that, so I had to run a terminal command to relock the bootloader and then I downloaded the RUU to write a clean, honest factory image back to the phone.

That was all probably the easy part.  Now I need to go to the Sprint store and try to get a quick replacement.

derspiess

Well I took my phone in and through an odd series of events I walked out with a Samsung Galaxy S III.  I would have had to wait about 2 days for a replacement for the same model to arrive.  I'm losing the Google Wallet functionality but getting twice the RAM.  The AMOLED screen is a lot better than on the first Galaxy model, that's for sure.