News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Valmy is practically gay?

Sheilbh

The wonderful Diarmaid MacCulloch's new BBC4 series on Sex and Christianity. Very good.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Anybody watch the Netflix show Southcliffe?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Ex Machina is a really fucking solid movie.  It features undergrad philsophisizing as both a bug and a feature; it has some minor perspective issues that seem to have gone unnoticed by both the screenwriter-director and (stretches of the movie occupy the uncanny valley between third-person limited and third-person omniscient filmmaking); and Domnhall Gleeson oversells his low-level nerd protagonist's awkwardness so hard, he actually crosses over into wincingly bad acting.  Overall, however, it's somewhere between great and really great.  On one hand it's a superb throwback to Laser Age sci-fi, intoxicated upon its own ideas and the moodiness of its hyper-modern visuals.  On the other it remains a plot-driven, effects-heavy mad scientist thriller of the kind that normal people might actually like to see.  If you guys like that kind of thing, and I know a lot of you do, you should check it out.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 23, 2015, 04:00:12 AM
I know you've taken flak in the past for giving everything a B+, but this is a bit far in the other direction. Many of those films are quite ordinary, yet you're giving them A+ or D.

Fincher has a really bimodal filmography.  It's either basically perfect, or it's stunningly mediocre (the outlier being Button, which is just excruciatingly bad).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

The Imitation Game. Exceedingly well crafted at all levels; but the whole hagiographic approach (typical of these kind of biopics, I must say), and the liberties taken with facts to better fit the hero narrative makes the film a bit jarring.

It's a typical good Oscar movie, with all the good and bad that this entails.

Tonitrus

The newest season of :Louie". 

Still, in my view, the best show on TV these days.

Barrister

Okay, so I was looking on Netflix the other day to see if it had a particular movie.  It did not.  But under the similar to it listed a quite famous movie.  I've known about it for years, some of the dialogue has been memed, and I know certain people are huge fans.  But I had never, ever seen this movie before.

So I sat down and watched The Big Lebowski.

You know how a movie can be so highly hyped that by the time you actually watch it you're kind of let down?  You thought it would be so much better than it actually was?

I didn't have that experience tonight.  That is one really solid movie.  :thumbsup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

celedhring

It looks like they restored a pic from a shitty copy  :lol:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 25, 2015, 10:10:20 PM
The newest season of :Louie". 

Still, in my view, the best show on TV these days.

Agreed. I think season three was the last but netflix picked it up.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Were those posters actually banned? I swear I have seen them all already. That's the cover of my Larry Flint DVD to begin with.

Maybe they were just banned in the US, I guess, but I'm sure I saw the Teeth one while I was over there.