News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

No way.  Like the Log said Tom was the best part of that flick.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2014, 04:24:12 AM
No way.  Like the Log said Tom was the best part of that flick.

Wiggin's talking about Days of Thunder, the racing flick, not Tropic Thunder.

And he was indeed the best part of the latter one.

Eddie Teach

He was talking about Tropic Thunder, which I rated an RBI double. Though he does have an inexplicable affinity for Days of Thunder as well.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

I finally saw Dr. Strangelove.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: / :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 01, 2014, 01:55:33 AM
Knight and Day was pretty bad

The plot sucked and the movie was big and dumb, but Cruise himself did a great job of spoofing his "spy" movie persona.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on August 01, 2014, 04:15:51 AM

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014).  Great space opera, by the skin of its stupid, laughing, grinning teeth.

Chris Pratt and the Infinity Watch

What? I missed this.
[spoiler]Honestly, the funniest part of this is when you realize that whether the movie meant to or not, it has told you plainly that Peter's alien dad's Space Penis gave Peter's mom her Space Cancer.   (It's even funnier to me if you still think that's a "spoiler," once Starmom drops the "angel made of light" line about two minutes in.  Hey: don't be such a Drax.)[/spoiler]
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 01, 2014, 07:44:44 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 01, 2014, 04:15:51 AM

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014).  Great space opera, by the skin of its stupid, laughing, grinning teeth.

Chris Pratt and the Infinity Watch

What? I missed this.
[spoiler]Honestly, the funniest part of this is when you realize that whether the movie meant to or not, it has told you plainly that Peter's alien dad's Space Penis gave Peter's mom her Space Cancer.   (It's even funnier to me if you still think that's a "spoiler," once Starmom drops the "angel made of light" line about two minutes in.  Hey: don't be such a Drax.)[/spoiler]

I'm just kidding. That's a Spider-Man plot. :p
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Woot! :w00t::w00t::w00t:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136521-Warner-Bros-Options-McCaffreys-Dragonriders-of-Pern-for-Movie-Franchise

QuoteWarner Bros Options McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern for Movie Franchise
Adam Gauntlett | 30 July 2014 6:22 pm
Image Source: via Amazon

The entire Dragonriders series - all 22 volumes - could make it to the big screen.

Back in the 1980s if you were a fantasy nerd, Anne McCaffrey was on your reading list. You were right up there in the skies above Pern astride your dragon, blasting Thread as it falls down on your Hold, and loving every minute of it, waiting impatiently for the next book to come out. Now you have something else to look forward to: Warner Bros has optioned McCaffrey's entire Dragonriders of Pern series - that's 22 books, including everything McCaffrey wrote as well as the books written in collaboration with, or by, her son Todd - for a possible movie franchise.

The deal was managed by Warners executive Drew Crevello, previously a Fox VP with X-Men franchise credits. It's not surprising that Warners is keen to find another fantasy vehicle, now its Tolkien express train is about to reach its final destination. Warners could get an entire new merchandising and licensing product line out of its latest acquisition, and we could get some fantastic new fantasy epics.

Dragonriders follows the exploits of the Holders, Crafters and Weyrriders of the planet Pern, threatened by falling Thread, an incredibly dangerous substance of unknown origin which destroys everything in its path, from crops to people. To fight this threat the Pernese have co-opted intelligent, fire breathing dragons, which they ride into battle against the invader. There's a strong science fiction element, but I'm not going to tell you about that here; go read the books.

This isn't the first time that Warners has tried to adapt the Pern story to its own ends. However the last time it tried, back in 2001, the deal ended in disaster when creative differences sank the TV project days before filming was supposed to begin. Warners insisted on what was described by producer Ronald Moore as a "Buffy-esque and Xena-esque" treatment. "It was something they felt more comfortable with on The WB." It was a dealbreaker.

Copperheart Entertainment is also supposed to have optioned the Dragonriders series for a film of its own, but that one seems stuck in development hell.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Great, Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't launch here till the 27th. But at least it'll be in one of the IMAX theaters.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2014, 03:01:31 AM
Edge of Tomorrow is a Hail Mary go-ahead goal in the bottom of the ninth inning at Churchill Downs.

:lol:

I hope my sig had some role in inspiring that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Got asked to see How To Train Your Dragon 2 tonight. Opinions? I liked the first one, but I wasn't as enamored by it as most reviewers/people around me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on August 01, 2014, 10:27:16 AM
Got asked to see How To Train Your Dragon 2 tonight. Opinions? I liked the first one, but I wasn't as enamored by it as most reviewers/people around me.

Is there the possibility of 1) getting laid and/or 2) a free meal?

Those are the only parameters that should dictate your actions.

celedhring

None of the above, which is why I'm asking about the merits of the flick.