News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on April 20, 2014, 02:30:37 PM
It appears that the Royal Shakespeare Company movie production featuring an all-African cast is no longer on YouTube. :( I'm usually ambivalent about "modernizing" classical plays, but moving the plot to an African tinpot dictatorship works pretty well.
Modernising depends on the context. I'm a little dubious that modernising Death of a Salesman or Hedda Gabler really works.

But I think Shakespeare and Marlowe for example are pretty ripe for modernisation and all sorts of playing with the setting. It's not really that important to Julius Caesar that it's set in Rome. I think the flexibility of theatre at that time is that they didn't have massive sets and didn't place their characters in obvious historical contexts (from what we know Shakespeare's Roman plays were performed in a mix of togas and Elizabethan dress). It's all done by the words so it can be moved very easily anywhere.

I've seen some great modern or different versions of Shakespeare - an Arab interpretation of Richard II (brittle, impetuous, medal-bedecked King overthrown by someone who looks like a junior officer), to modern physical theatre versions of Julius Caesar with a cast of four.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

The reviews were pretty awful.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Stalingrad.

I guess this came and went pretty quickly

Found a dl on Veehd. Will check it out

http://veehd.com/video/4834934_Stalingrad-2013-BRRip-720p-x264-AAC-PRiSTiNE-mp4
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

If that's the Kraut Stalingrad there was some discussion at the time about the milestone of a German made WWII flick.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2014, 03:19:35 PM
If that's the Kraut Stalingrad there was some discussion at the time about the milestone of a German made WWII flick.
It's Russian.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Primal Fear.

HOLY SHIT.  MID 90S LAURA LINNEY.  FUCK.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Quote from: Queequeg on April 20, 2014, 05:42:19 PM
Primal Fear.

Ancient women aren't hot. :x
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

I'm happy that some people still are able to be over-excited about a sub-par experience.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2014, 02:45:08 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 20, 2014, 02:30:37 PM
It appears that the Royal Shakespeare Company movie production featuring an all-African cast is no longer on YouTube. :( I'm usually ambivalent about "modernizing" classical plays, but moving the plot to an African tinpot dictatorship works pretty well.
Modernising depends on the context. I'm a little dubious that modernising Death of a Salesman or Hedda Gabler really works.

But I think Shakespeare and Marlowe for example are pretty ripe for modernisation and all sorts of playing with the setting. It's not really that important to Julius Caesar that it's set in Rome. I think the flexibility of theatre at that time is that they didn't have massive sets and didn't place their characters in obvious historical contexts (from what we know Shakespeare's Roman plays were performed in a mix of togas and Elizabethan dress). It's all done by the words so it can be moved very easily anywhere.

I've seen some great modern or different versions of Shakespeare - an Arab interpretation of Richard II (brittle, impetuous, medal-bedecked King overthrown by someone who looks like a junior officer), to modern physical theatre versions of Julius Caesar with a cast of four.

The thing about settings in Elizabethian theatre (also happened in contemporary Spanish classic theater), is that they served as just an exotic backdrop to separate the characters from the viewer's immediate life and make them more enticing. Your regular London burger probably only heard of Venice in exaggerated tales, setting a drama in these lands or the past was a way to lend it more gravitas. In separating the drama from the viewer's immediate reality, it too enabled the playwright to tailor the characters to the conflict he wanted to portray. There's really very little specific to Hamlet, Coriolannus, Much Ado About Nothing, Merchant of Venice... to the times and places in which they were set. That's why they work so well in a modernised setting.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on April 20, 2014, 05:42:19 PM
Primal Fear.

Yes, Laura Linney is that kind of hot you get after you rewind 20 years.

I'd do her now, now that she's all like MILFy-Soccer Mom balancing Career Chick at 50.

Sheilbh

Captain America. The first one. I can't remember it, but I think I agree with Ide's assessment.

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa. Brilliant :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2014, 07:14:34 PM
Captain America. The first one. I can't remember it, but I think I agree with Ide's assessment.

:x
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2014, 03:19:35 PM

I remember watching a 1950s West German war movie, about a bunch of boys defending a bridge from an American platoon.

Plus there's Das Boot, of course.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2014, 07:14:34 PM

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa. Brilliant :lol:
Should I watch the TV show beforehand? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."