News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on March 14, 2011, 02:26:11 PM
Heh, and actual aliens that could cross interstellar space and invade us would be so far advanced from us that they could squash us like bugs.  :D

My first thought when the movie was over was that Languishites would tear the it to shreds.  :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

The Lucky Ones. It's about 3 Iraqi war vets on leave who take a road trip from New York to Las Vegas. Charming and funny. Rachel McAdams' character is adorable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

If there's one good thing the Iraq did it was letting the US continue joking about wacky vets. The Vietnam vets were getting a little old.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

The Great Dictator (1940)

An amazingly prescient film; I was astounded at how well Charlie Chaplin captures the mannerisms and policies of George W. Bush even as he viciously satirizes them.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 16, 2011, 05:22:26 AM
The Lucky Ones. It's about 3 Iraqi war vets on leave who take a road trip from New York to Las Vegas. Charming and funny. Rachel McAdams' character is adorable.
Yeah, I thought she was bonerific in that.  The rest of the movie I found rather meh.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on March 16, 2011, 07:14:16 AM

An amazingly prescient film; I was astounded at how well Charlie Chaplin captures the mannerisms and policies of George W. Bush even as he viciously satirizes them.

:D
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2011, 07:16:08 AM
Yeah, I thought she was bonerific in that.  The rest of the movie I found rather meh.

Rest of the movie? She was in just about every scene.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Well, the V season (series?) finale got interesting last night.  Hope it comes back for at least one more season.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 16, 2011, 02:26:34 PM
I don't recall her filling up the entire screen.

Habbaku

Currently working my way through the Sharpe films.  First two aren't exactly "great" movies, but they're entertaining enough to keep my watching.  Fortunately, they do seem to be getting better as I go.  :bowler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fy3tSim3to
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 16, 2011, 04:51:02 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 16, 2011, 02:26:34 PM
I don't recall her filling up the entire screen.

stick up boy.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on March 17, 2011, 12:05:00 AM
Currently working my way through the Sharpe films.  First two aren't exactly "great" movies, but they're entertaining enough to keep my watching.  Fortunately, they do seem to be getting better as I go.  :bowler:

I met Jason "Rifleman Harris" Salkey at Cold Wars last weekend, he had a booth selling DVD video diaries of the productions and autographed photos of the sets he'd taken.  He was surprised Sharpe was a popular as it was over here.

I asked him if he was doing any projects; he said he auditions from time to time, but he makes more money doing guest appearances than acting.

He also said Peter Postlethwaite was an angry pisser of a drunk, and you just got the fuck out of his way when he hit the bottle.

Malthus

Quote from: Habbaku on March 17, 2011, 12:05:00 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fy3tSim3to

Overall, the Sharpe films are great, if you can get over the restaging-Waterloo-with-ten-guys thing.  :D But there are some real stinkers in there, particularly where they departed radically from the books.

The two worst are Sharpe's Gold, which is a real "WTF?" episode - Spanish guerillas are Aztecs? - and I think it was Sharp's Sword, which has, for reasons best known to the writers, Sharpe tempted by a mute girl named "lass"; fortunately, he turns her down, but still, WTF?

I did however like the episode set in England, near the end of the series.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Drakken

Quote from: Savonarola on March 16, 2011, 07:14:16 AM

I especially love the scene when Bush and Putin choke on their respective favorite food : Borscht and cheeseburger.