And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Finished squid game....

[spoiler]
Terrible series 2 bait ending-next time bigger badder and more American! . Could have been such a great rounded series.
It's good but I'm still super confused how it has become so big. Tikkity tokkity?
[/spoiler]
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Watching Apocalypse Now Redux on Netflix, and the mango picking scene really reminds me of Avatar.  I wonder if that was conscious.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

The trailer for the Uncharted movie looks dreadful :ph34r:

Little bit of a shame as I quite liked the game I played (maybe Uncharted 3?) and I like the genre. But it looks bad.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 24, 2021, 11:25:11 AM
The trailer for the Uncharted movie looks dreadful :ph34r:

Little bit of a shame as I quite liked the game I played (maybe Uncharted 3?) and I like the genre. But it looks bad.

I know he is supposed to be a young version but I don't get any Nathan Drake vibes from Tom Holland.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: grumbler on October 21, 2021, 07:39:24 PM
Motherfuckin' HBO Max has changed the rules so that those of us with the $100/yr plan rather than the $15/mo ad-free plan can't watch Dune. NOWHERE in their pan descriptions did they say that the two plans would eventually have different access:  the $100/yr plan was supposed to be so much cheaper because it had ads and it had to be subscribed and paid annually rather than monthly.  And, of course, my resubscription was in July.

Fuck them.  Fuck them.  Fuck them.  I'd cancel right now, but I've already paid for the year.

Spoke too soon.  I complained to HBO about the bait and switch and they upgraded my access to the commercial-free version gratis (for the current year only, with auto resub next June at the higher rate).

So, I got to see the movie Dune.  Great special effects, great acting, not-so-great script or pacing.  The whole Emperor-Atreides-Harkonen thing never got explained (like, why did the Emperor take Arrakis away and give it to House Atreides, and why was this a trap).  Too much mumbled dialogue, though, or dialogue drowned out by the score.

I also was amused at how Villineuve has the Harkonens pretty much level the compound that they want to take over. 

I'd call this a solid B+ movie. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Black Widow- Weird film. So Captain Marvel was released not so long ago but set before most of the other Marvel films, OK, that worked. Its place in the timeline was clear and it had a bit of retro flair.
This one though....its just sort of slotted into a part of the timeline after Captain America Civil War. And I had to look that up. Its odd.
Why make this now? It might have worked better had it been made and released at the proper time.

In terms of the film itself...meh. Bottom 5 Marvel films. Tonally all over the place jumping from grim super dark and serious to being a sendup of Marvel films and back again. Its Mission Impossible....but with random super powered people thrown in at points.

And another reason it would have worked better 5 years ago- I really grow tired of these flashy video game action sequences with rag doll main characters dancing in the uncanny valley smoothly seguing into real action.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: grumbler on October 24, 2021, 09:27:03 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 21, 2021, 07:39:24 PM
Motherfuckin' HBO Max has changed the rules so that those of us with the $100/yr plan rather than the $15/mo ad-free plan can't watch Dune. NOWHERE in their pan descriptions did they say that the two plans would eventually have different access:  the $100/yr plan was supposed to be so much cheaper because it had ads and it had to be subscribed and paid annually rather than monthly.  And, of course, my resubscription was in July.

Fuck them.  Fuck them.  Fuck them.  I'd cancel right now, but I've already paid for the year.

Spoke too soon.  I complained to HBO about the bait and switch and they upgraded my access to the commercial-free version gratis (for the current year only, with auto resub next June at the higher rate).

So, I got to see the movie Dune.  Great special effects, great acting, not-so-great script or pacing.  The whole Emperor-Atreides-Harkonen thing never got explained (like, why did the Emperor take Arrakis away and give it to House Atreides, and why was this a trap).  Too much mumbled dialogue, though, or dialogue drowned out by the score.

I also was amused at how Villineuve has the Harkonens pretty much level the compound that they want to take over. 

I'd call this a solid B+ movie.

Well, the trick is taking away the Atreides from their power base at Caladan. They're much more exposed in Dune, and since it's a great honor in theory, they can't refuse.

What I never understood - even in the book - is how the Haarkonen retaking Dune by force is acceptable in-universe, given that conflict between the houses is supposedly very restricted.

Eddie Teach

"So the movie can happen." - Writer Guy
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on October 25, 2021, 02:57:02 AM
Well, the trick is taking away the Atreides from their power base at Caladan. They're much more exposed in Dune, and since it's a great honor in theory, they can't refuse.

What I never understood - even in the book - is how the Haarkonen retaking Dune by force is acceptable in-universe, given that conflict between the houses is supposedly very restricted.

I read the book, so I have an inkling of this, but the movie spent time showing Paul putting his hand in the water instead of taking that time to have people at the final conference say that.  I was sure that's why the writer had Paul attend that meeting, so he could ask "audience questions," but he didn't say a peep.

In the book, Harkonnen declared "kenly" (or something like that) to legitimize war between houses.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Been eons since I read it but wasn't the fucked up legality/imperial corruption of the Harkonen invasion how everyone else was then OK with doing away with the imperial family?
I can't remember what it was but the Harkonen had some kind of trumped up excuse I think?
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

To me it appeared that Villeneuve was not really interested in the whole political angle of the Dune story, so he basically handwaved it. I guess that the emperor must appear in the sequel, so let's see if he expands on that there or not.

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on October 25, 2021, 07:17:15 AM
To me it appeared that Villeneuve was not really interested in the whole political angle of the Dune story, so he basically handwaved it. I guess that the emperor must appear in the sequel, so let's see if he expands on that there or not.

I agree that Villeneuve was not really interested in the whole political angle of the Dune story, which is why I think he wasn't the best choice for a project like this.  Dune is all about the intersection of politics and mysticism, with Paul (descended from a Duke and a Bene Gesserit) is at the center of it.

Not that Villeneuve appears to be interested in the mysticism side, either!  :lol:

I doubt that there will be a sequel.  Too much time has passed since Part 1 was made, and they don't even have a script for the sequel.

Bayraktar!