Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

In the Heat of the Night (1967)

Sidney Poitier starred in this and in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" in the same year.  I think that's one of the best example of the change between Golden Age Hollywood and New Hollywood.  (Although "In the Heat of the Night" was released first.)

This time through I kept noticing that this was obviously shot in a northern state in the fall rather than Mississippi in the summer.  (In fact it was shot in Illinois; except the cotton harvest scene which was done in Tennessee.)  Even having seen it before, I couldn't remember who the murderer was.  Of course the murder mystery is entirely beside the point; the real story is the relationship between Rod Steiger and Sidney Poitier.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

grumbler

Quote from: Savonarola on August 04, 2020, 03:39:08 PM
In the Heat of the Night (1967)

Sidney Poitier starred in this and in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" in the same year.  I think that's one of the best example of the change between Golden Age Hollywood and New Hollywood.  (Although "In the Heat of the Night" was released first.)

This time through I kept noticing that this was obviously shot in a northern state in the fall rather than Mississippi in the summer.  (In fact it was shot in Illinois; except the cotton harvest scene which was done in Tennessee.)  Even having seen it before, I couldn't remember who the murderer was.  Of course the murder mystery is entirely beside the point; the real story is the relationship between Rod Steiger and Sidney Poitier.

One of the keys to having fond memories of In the Heat of the Night is to avoid the wretched sequels.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on August 05, 2020, 11:24:00 AM
One of the keys to having fond memories of In the Heat of the Night is to avoid the wretched sequels.
In retrospect the Tibbs Cinematic Universe was a mistake :(
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Watched the first episodes of Love On The Spectrum. TV-show about people on the autism spectrum looking for love. Hilarious, interesting, and wholesome. Recommended. :)

Josquius

Indian Matchmaking is the new Tiger King.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood. Jason is demoing a line of gardening tools. Not essential viewing, but as usual some nice 80s ass.

Sheilbh

So trailer for Judas and the Black Messiah looks terrific :mellow:

I always have a soft spot for Daniel Kaluuya because I remember looking up who he was after his episode of Black Mirror, because he was so good.

Edit: Also it reminds me that Queen and Slim, and Widows did not get the love they deserved :(
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Star Trek Lower Decks.

Funny enough :)  I really liked it. They took a jab at the some of the intros of other Trek series and of course, it's all a parody of TNG, so it was extremely funny.  It reminds me a bit of Sil Trek. :)

You need to be a Star Trek fan in the first place to appreciate the humour, though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Seconds (1966)

John Randolph is an unhappy middle aged banker.  He's offered a chance to become a much younger man and restart in life by an obviously evil corporation.  He does and is transformed into Rock Hudson (:o).  His death is faked by the company and they give him a new identity and his dream career as an artist in Malibu; but these things never seem to work out.  Rock discovers that he can escape his past but he can't escape himself.   :(

The film is a dark science fiction morality tale influenced by expressionism and La Nouvelle Vague.  This was really not standard Rock Hudson fare, and the film was a notorious bomb.  The film was released as Baby Boomers entered college, "Youthquake" was the fashion and Dylan was going electric; that is when youth culture was becoming dominant.  The film has since been seen as a critique of a society that was becoming youth obsessed.  Director John Frankenheimer lamented that this was the only film ever to go from being a failure to being a classic without ever being a success along the way.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 05, 2020, 11:39:59 AM

:lol:

You know, I don't ever even seen the television show.  :unsure:

grumbler

Quote from: Savonarola on August 07, 2020, 02:35:52 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 05, 2020, 11:39:59 AM

:lol:

You know, I don't ever even seen the television show.  :unsure:

If you look at the list of the directors of the movies, it is clear why the first was so good and the rest so bad.  Why do studios treat their IP so carelessly?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

The Rain - Danish show on Netflix.  Final season was disappointing.  It was as if funding was reduced and so they had to go with a different quick dues ex machina resolution rather than what they had originally intended.

Malthus

Finished the Aussie show "Rake". I loved it. 😄

It was hilarious how the show writers set up the lead character as a complete reprobate, and then you gradually realize everyone around him who is tisk tisking at his bad behaviour is actually worse ...

The show fell off a bit in the last season (I felt they made the lead character a bit uncharacteristically dumb at times - he was always a walking disaster, but always a *clever* walking disaster), but I enjoyed how it ended! 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius