Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

RIP. I like Angel Heart.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Sonic - surprisingly quite good. Love the end credits in particular. Weird though as it has a very low budget feel to it despite not being so.
I wonder if there are any more of these millennial gaming nostalgia movies due.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Binge watched s2 of Umbrella Academy. Very fun.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on July 31, 2020, 12:34:34 PM
RIP. I like Angel Heart.

Unlike, say, Turkish prisons?

RIP indeed.

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 01, 2020, 05:03:32 PM
Binge watched s2 of Umbrella Academy. Very fun.

Binged it this weekend too. Really fun, although not as great as season 1. That one balanced being zany and compelling to near perfection, imho.

Josephus

I watched one of Alan Parker's movies over 20 times.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on August 03, 2020, 09:31:40 AM

:console:  At what point did you realize it was the same movie?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Doom. Scienticians have gotten into trouble at an archaeological dig on Mars, and the Marines are called in. I've seen at least parts of it years ago, but didn't remember that much. It's pretty good. There is much to like about it. There's a nicely longish steady buildup before things get "out of hand" (in horror/action movies I often prefer the part before things get too crazy). There's a nice [spoiler]hero/villain[/spoiler] dynamic, and it's not every movie you get to see [spoiler]The Rock execute a guy for refusing to murder civilians[/spoiler]. It's nice that the man/woman bit is [spoiler]brother and sister and not a contrived love story[/spoiler]. The short first-person sequence is a nice nod to the game, and makes sense storywise. Rosamund Pike is hot. One weakness is the lack of inspiring scenery, there's a LOT of dark corridors. All in all it's one of those movies that's a lot better than you'd expect when you hear a brief description of it.

Sheilbh

This may just be because I've recently watched a couple, but I feel like 70s style paranoid thrillers are due a comeback :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 03, 2020, 01:17:29 PM
This may just be because I've recently watched a couple, but I feel like 70s style paranoid thrillers are due a comeback :mellow:

Let's hope so.

"-It would happen this way. You may be walking. Maybe the first sunny day of the spring. And a car will slow beside you, and a door will open. And someone you know, maybe even trust, will get out of the car. And he will smile, a becoming smile. But he will leave open the door of the car, and offer to give you a lift."

Sheilbh

:lol: One of the films I watched.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Speaking of 70s thrillers... Scorpio. It was ok.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: grumbler on August 03, 2020, 10:17:26 AM
Quote from: Josephus on August 03, 2020, 09:31:40 AM

:console:  At what point did you realize it was the same movie?

:D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Mad Max: Fury Road. Krusty tries to rule a post-apocalyptic wasteland with an iron fist. Decent, does one thing and doesn't stray too far.

The Brain

Addendum: I got the feeling that the Netflix version I watched was censored, [spoiler]Krusty's death seemed weirdly off camera[/spoiler]. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me though.