Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 20, 2020, 06:54:33 AM
Quote from: viper37 on January 19, 2020, 06:43:33 PM
Rambo Last Blood.

Teenage girl disobeys parental authority, gets in trouble, Rambo kills everyone.

Good movie to watch with your teenagers, as instructions for the dangers of disobeying authority ;)

Sadly, Rambo has lost his signature knife.  They've replaced it with some generic long blade :(

If this Rambo movie were a new Marvel Punisher film, that would be better than the usual average. Problem is, it's a pretty generic revenge plot and there are not enough social or geopolitic considerations for a Rambo film.  :P Yes, even III had them.
Still, the gruesome if not ridiculous at times violence ups the ante of the previous picture.
Yeah, it's like Taken without a good ending :(

I think with the advent of ficks/series like The Punisher and the Taken series, it has lost its edge a little over the years.

Still a good movie, just below average.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: mongers on January 20, 2020, 08:22:25 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 20, 2020, 07:18:27 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2020, 07:03:09 AM
Aren't the baddies some Mexicans? They are the Soviets of the current era for Rambo's target audience.

Yes, but so is Rambo's protegée, and there is another positive Mexican character as well. There was only a  non-baddie Soviet in Rambo III, a deserter.
First Blood part II had Vietnamese and Polish-sounding Soviet troops as baddies.  :D
Besides, "baddies" in First Blood were some local US cops.

If you want some evil Mexicans, try Sicario: Day of the Soldado where an Evil Mexican cartel open the way for Islamic terrorists. :lmfao: Rambo Last Blood is truly a balanced an nuanced movie compared to it.

Duque is that the 2nd one? As I really didn't like it and have successfully forgotten most of the details.

yes, second one.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

The New Pope.

Love the Young Pope, but wasn't sure they could carry it off without Judd Law.

Episode one of The New Pope allayed any anxieties.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 20, 2020, 07:18:27 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2020, 07:03:09 AM
Aren't the baddies some Mexicans? They are the Soviets of the current era for Rambo's target audience.

Yes, but so is Rambo's protegée, and there is another positive Mexican character as well. There was only a  non-baddie Soviet in Rambo III, a deserter.
First Blood part II had Vietnamese and Polish-sounding Soviet troops as baddies.  :D
Besides, "baddies" in First Blood were some local US cops.

Which shows how the Rambo demographic has done quite a 180 since then.  :P

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 20, 2020, 12:45:54 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 20, 2020, 09:45:00 AM
Still a good movie, just below average.

So which is it?
It's entertaining.  I've seen bad movies, like the latest Godzilla, but this one is good, it's just that it's probably the weakest of the Rambos.

Admiral Yi

Mansfield Park, 1999.

Are there any Jane Austen novels in which the beautiful, bright, spunky heroine does *not* get prince charming and live happily ever after?

Interesting how the book is set in and around 1806 but the Napoleonic Wars intrude not a bit.

I think Austen may have been the first romance novelist.

Berkut

American Gods is really, really good. At least the first 5 episodes of season 1.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HVC

Book was better :p

I just couldn't get into the series. I also think they're onto like there second or third producer/writing team
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

For American Gods I thought the first season was excellent, but that the second season lagged.

One thing though: I really loved the opening sequence!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2020, 07:08:39 AM
Mansfield Park, 1999.

Are there any Jane Austen novels in which the beautiful, bright, spunky heroine does *not* get prince charming and live happily ever after?

Interesting how the book is set in and around 1806 but the Napoleonic Wars intrude not a bit.

IIRC "Persuasion" is the only one of her novels that mentions the Napoleonic wars.

QuoteI think Austen may have been the first romance novelist.

Probably the first that anyone still reads today.   ;)  I think Samuel Richardson is usually credited as the first romance novelist (and sometimes the first novelist) in the English speaking world.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

FunkMonk

The Witcher is surprisingly good. Not going to win any awards or anything, but who cares?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Watched the first episode of Avenue 5

High Laurie at his comedic best.  Five Blackadders out of Five

garbon

Mansfield Park, 1999.

Well in Emma, the eventual love interest is like 16-17 years older than the titular character.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Mansfield Park, 1999.

It's there for sure. I mean all of her novels are full of officers from the navy or the army and they're often having to move around which causes complications. If you compare it with books before or 19th century novels there's no-one with as many military characters. I'm sure they exist but off the top of my head I can't think of any in, say Dickens, Collins, Eliot, Trollope etc.

So the Napoleonic War are there, but it is as a woman of her class would experience it - the military are there all through polite society (probably on leave) in a way that just isn't the case in other novels.

QuoteI think Austen may have been the first romance novelist.
Depends what you mean by romance. As Sav says the 18th century novelists do romance, but they tend not to be that read.

I love her because I think she's kind of unique. There's romance, but they're fundamentally comedies. But they're also just so dense/direct like novelists in the 18th and 19th century have a tendency to sprall. And then there's Austen in between the two :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!