News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Mute. Mute Amish guy Alexander Skarsgård has to look for missing girlfriend in future Berlin. Actually pretty good. It's not like every other movie. Some shameless Bladerunner environments but that's not a bad thing.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Broke down and paid 4.23 for Whiskey Tango Foxtrot on Youtube.  There were a few funny parts that weren't in the various trailers.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 18, 2020, 12:03:57 PM
Sex Education s2.

Only a couple of episodes in but still very good and very fun.

I love Gillian Anderson and when she's playing Maggie in the Crown she will sexually confuse, perplex and anger a nation.

FYI the jacket the New Head Boy shows up in in S1E1 is a letterman jacket, the kind of jacket I suggested you get 9 years ago before you left Languish to start your grown up life.

celedhring

Saw 1917. Technically it is mightily impressive, and some of the visuals are amazing (the scenes in the French village in particular). But as a story... it really doesn't have much going for it? As a "guys on a suicide mission, war is hell" kinda movie there are many much better. It´s a film that if you took away the fact that it is shot too look like a single take, it would have barely registered, imho.

Josephus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 18, 2020, 12:03:57 PM
Sex Education s2.

Only a couple of episodes in but still very good and very fun.

I love Gillian Anderson and when she's playing Maggie in the Crown she will sexually confuse, perplex and anger a nation.

Helena Bonham Carter is Maggie, no?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Maggie Thatcher for Anderson
HBC is Princess Margaret
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on January 19, 2020, 08:25:14 AM
Maggie Thatcher for Anderson
HBC is Princess Margaret

aah...haven't seen Thatcher yet.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Yes, she's coming in season 4
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Just Mercy.

Terrific performances and impressively understated. It also feels like 20-25 years ago this would have been made with the focus on some dramatic lawyer speechifying. There are a couple of moments of that but it's quite rare and the emphasis on the facts is also more about the wider structural issues rather than just a bad racist cop.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Rambo Last Blood.

Teenage girl disobeys parental authority, gets in trouble, Rambo kills everyone.

Good movie to watch with your teenagers, as instructions for the dangers of disobeying authority ;)

Sadly, Rambo has lost his signature knife.  They've replaced it with some generic long blade :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Oexmelin

Quote from: celedhring on January 19, 2020, 06:04:59 AM
Saw 1917. Technically it is mightily impressive, and some of the visuals are amazing (the scenes in the French village in particular). But as a story... it really doesn't have much going for it? As a "guys on a suicide mission, war is hell" kinda movie there are many much better. It´s a film that if you took away the fact that it is shot too look like a single take, it would have barely registered, imho.

I felt the same. I was happy to see it, and I really appreciated the cinematography, but couldn't help but be disappointed by the story itself. Even the treatment of the various episodes of the mission were quite cliché.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on January 19, 2020, 06:43:33 PM
Rambo Last Blood.

Teenage girl disobeys parental authority, gets in trouble, Rambo kills everyone.

Good movie to watch with your teenagers, as instructions for the dangers of disobeying authority ;)

Sadly, Rambo has lost his signature knife.  They've replaced it with some generic long blade :(

If this Rambo movie were a new Marvel Punisher film, that would be better than the usual average. Problem is, it's a pretty generic revenge plot and there are not enough social or geopolitic considerations for a Rambo film.  :P Yes, even III had them.
Still, the gruesome if not ridiculous at times violence ups the ante of the previous picture.

celedhring

Aren't the baddies some Mexicans? They are the Soviets of the current era for Rambo's target audience.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2020, 07:03:09 AM
Aren't the baddies some Mexicans? They are the Soviets of the current era for Rambo's target audience.

Yes, but so is Rambo's protegée, and there is another positive Mexican character as well. There was only a  non-baddie Soviet in Rambo III, a deserter.
First Blood part II had Vietnamese and Polish-sounding Soviet troops as baddies.  :D
Besides, "baddies" in First Blood were some local US cops.

If you want some evil Mexicans, try Sicario: Day of the Soldado where an Evil Mexican cartel opens the way for Islamic terrorists.  :lmfao: Rambo Last Blood is truly a balanced and nuanced movie compared to it.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 20, 2020, 07:18:27 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2020, 07:03:09 AM

Yes, but so is Rambo's protegée, and there is another positive Mexican character as well. There was only a  non-baddie Soviet in Rambo III, a deserter.
First Blood part II had Vietnamese and Polish-sounding Soviet troops as baddies.  :D
Besides, "baddies" in First Blood were some local US cops.

If you want some evil Mexicans, try Sicario: Day of the Soldado where an Evil Mexican cartel open the way for Islamic terrorists. :lmfao: Rambo Last Blood is truly a balanced an nuanced movie compared to it.

Duque is that the 2nd one? As I really didn't like it and have successfully forgotten most of the details.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"