News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

No matter how much it is, it is still much cheaper than doing it in the US. Does Spain have any local streaming services?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

It's funny ironic how in an attempt to cut the cord, those silly millennials are now making it more expensive to watch the content you used to be able to bundle in a nice, pretty cable package.
This is happening with sports now too. I'll give you an example for this soccer fan in Canada.

To watch the premier league, and Champions League, I used to be able to watch it, up until last year, on two cable channels that were, and still are, part of my cable package (TSN and Sportsnet). They've now been outbid by Dazn. It costs around $20/mo. with some promotions for new customers. To watch on TV I need to synch with Googlecast or something.

DAZN also has MLS rights, but in Canada, not of Canadian teams. I need to keep my TSN subscription for that to watch my Toronto FC.

If I want to add the Spanish league I need to subsscribe to the cable channel BeIn Canada. It also costs $20/mo and used to be somewhat worth it, but now, in Canada, lost everything except La Liga. Morning vieiwng is mostly big men throwing big logs around.

If I want to watch German league and England FA Cup, I need to subscribe to Sportsnet World, also around $20.

To watch the Canadian national team, men or women, in any competition now, I need to subscribe to One Soccer. They will likely pick up Canadian MLS teams in a year or two as well.

Serie A, is right now on Telelatino, a cable channel, not sure for how much longer.

TSN  holds the rights to Euro qualifers but rarely show games. Normally when they do it's low end games like England Montenegro or Spain Malta.

So yeah, I'm old and was perfectly happy with my expensive cable package, but at least I got everything in one nice bill.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2020, 08:56:51 AM
No matter how much it is, it is still much cheaper than doing it in the US. Does Spain have any local streaming services?

Yeah, there are several, which are mostly backed by telecoms and come bundled with their Internet service. Largest is Movistar, which is owned by Spain's largest telecom and which also spends quite a bit in local production. Last figures I saw both them and Netflix hovered at 2 million subscribers in Spain, HBO just half a mill.

Legbiter

Saw a Danish film called April 9th. In South Jutland in 1940, a Danish bicycle infantry platoon is ordered to hold off the German advance until reinforcements can arrive. They sure give it their best shot even if they are comically outnumbered and outgunned. I wasn't even aware that the Danes had resisted militarily at all so an interesting and well made look at a footnote of WW II.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Grey Fox

Quote from: celedhring on January 15, 2020, 09:06:37 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2020, 08:56:51 AM

Yeah, there are several, which are mostly backed by telecoms and come bundled with their Internet service. Largest is Movistar, which is owned by Spain's largest telecom and which also spends quite a bit in local production. Last figures I saw both them and Netflix hovered at 2 million subscribers in Spain, HBO just half a mill.

Same situation than here then.

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2020, 09:03:33 AM
It's funny ironic how in an attempt to cut the cord, those silly millennials are now making it more expensive to watch the content you used to be able to bundle in a nice, pretty cable package.
This is happening with sports now too. I'll give you an example for this soccer fan in Canada.

To watch the premier league, and Champions League, I used to be able to watch it, up until last year, on two cable channels that were, and still are, part of my cable package (TSN and Sportsnet). They've now been outbid by Dazn. It costs around $20/mo. with some promotions for new customers. To watch on TV I need to synch with Googlecast or something.

DAZN also has MLS rights, but in Canada, not of Canadian teams. I need to keep my TSN subscription for that to watch my Toronto FC.

If I want to add the Spanish league I need to subsscribe to the cable channel BeIn Canada. It also costs $20/mo and used to be somewhat worth it, but now, in Canada, lost everything except La Liga. Morning vieiwng is mostly big men throwing big logs around.

If I want to watch German league and England FA Cup, I need to subscribe to Sportsnet World, also around $20.

To watch the Canadian national team, men or women, in any competition now, I need to subscribe to One Soccer. They will likely pick up Canadian MLS teams in a year or two as well.

Serie A, is right now on Telelatino, a cable channel, not sure for how much longer.

TSN  holds the rights to Euro qualifers but rarely show games. Normally when they do it's low end games like England Montenegro or Spain Malta.

So yeah, I'm old and was perfectly happy with my expensive cable package, but at least I got everything in one nice bill.

Sounds like the issue is you want to watch a bunch of things that people generally aren't concerned about having full access to. ;)

Not to mention that there's a certain freedom in being able to watch things when one isn't at home.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

I don't think One Soccer is going to get Canadian MLS games. Why would Bell let go of that contract. I guess that depends how much money China & Qatar are willing to spend.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on January 15, 2020, 04:47:15 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 15, 2020, 04:12:32 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2020, 04:03:07 AM
The big problem with amazon prime is less the quality of their good shows and more the messiness of their ui and the amount of utter junk and pay per view they throw on there.
On amazon, everything is listed in one, whether its a decent show you can stream for free, something you have to pay £2 an episode to watch, or some college humour series.
There's just no organisation. Discoverability is borked. There's a constant fear I might accidentally pay for something.

Weird. Certainly not set up that way there. No pay-per-view content on the Prime Video app.

UI is messy, so is HBO's. Netflix has by far the best app imho.
There is some content that require a monthly subscription, but you can cancel it anytime you want.  I haven't seen any strickly PPV content though.

Very weird.
So if you search for detective pikachu (for and instance of one you have to buy) then nothing will come up?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Could be faulty recall, but I've only recalled it happening with search. If you use their landing page UI (which I agree is organised poorly) in the app version, it doesn't show paid/rental ones...only when you search.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2020, 10:12:10 AM
I don't think One Soccer is going to get Canadian MLS games. Why would Bell let go of that contract. I guess that depends how much money China & Qatar are willing to spend.

Actually I've heard from pretty good sources that One Soccer is making a serious bid after TSN's rights expires.
Bell/Rogers have let go of all their other soccer properties. They're getting out of the sport.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Here, for Austrian, German, and Premiere League I need a Sky subscription (which can be streamed these days). For Spanish, Italian, and French Leagues, I need DAZN (which also has football, NBA and more). If I want to have access to all Champions League matches I need both DAZN and Sky, since they share the rights and split the broadcasts between them.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2020, 11:44:45 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 15, 2020, 10:12:10 AM

Actually I've heard from pretty good sources that One Soccer is making a serious bid after TSN's rights expires.
Bell/Rogers have let go of all their other soccer properties. They're getting out of the sport.

At face value it seems bad but the Rogers/Bell owned so much sports property that they didn't ever broadcast actually having a rights holder interested in broadcasting it might be better.

Bell/Rogers had the rights to the FIBA World Cup last fall, they showed 0 games on their properties, afaik.

I wish I had the guts to cord cut.

Tonitrus

The ending of Man in the High Castle.

The Brain

Dracula, first episode. I like it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Yeah, I watched it last week.  The last season was better than the previous seasons in that stuff happened and I sort of cared about the stuff happening, but the last episode literally, not figuratively, went off the rails.  Very little is explained, character arcs and entire characters vanish, the same twist that saves John Smith in the last season happens again, plot points are seemingly forgotten, and new characters are included that probably should have been added earlier.  The way Inspector Kido's arc ended was particularly stupid.  It's like Vladimir Putin going AWOL in 1989 and joining a German organized syndicate.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017