News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 13, 2020, 06:31:30 PM
HBO has a new series, The Outsider, which is basically True Detective as envisioned by Stephen King.  It seems to be drawing from the German myth of the Doppelganger.

Read the book. Yeah, it is pretty much a doppelganger story, with a Kingian twist.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 13, 2020, 08:02:52 PM
Getting into the fourth season of Expanse.  I like that they are slowing down a bit and spending more time on developing the characters and storyline.  If you have the richest man in the world backing the show, I guess you get more freedom to tell the story the way you want.

Wouldn't it be fun if amazon bought it just because bezos is a fan?

I'm not so sure on this new series. The ground based plodding nature perhaps. I'm 4 episodes in. Also replacing Mr Avasarala = :(
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

Leaving Vikings in the bin I got hold *cough cough* of The Expanse.

Now, this is a good series. The best one, by far, for me going on right now.

crazy canuck

Glad you are enjoying it  :)

Zoupa

I've watched all 4 seasons 4 times  :blush:

The books are also quite good.

The Brain

The weird ending to the first book has kept me from starting on the second. [spoiler]If it changes direction once it can do it again and still has to be destroyed. Also, stealing a bunch of nukes is suddenly considered OK just because some weird crap happens?[/spoiler] This from memory, bite me if it's wrong.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

The first book is definitely the weakest, Brain, but your concerns are handled, IIRC, by the second-third books.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on January 14, 2020, 04:30:43 PM
The first book is definitely the weakest, Brain, but your concerns are handled, IIRC, by the second-third books.

Interesting. Thanks! :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

We were discussing the streaming wars, and my wife seemed to think Netflix will be the last man standing. I think it will be Amazon, because people subscribe to Prime for other reasons and get their shows as a benefit.

If I had a subscription to Disney+ I would watch DuckTales and Talespin. Baloo the bear was Indiana Jones before he was Bill Murray. I believe The Mandalorian is the most pirated work in history, of any type.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 14, 2020, 05:44:08 PM
We were discussing the streaming wars, and my wife seemed to think Netflix will be the last man standing. I think it will be Amazon, because people subscribe to Prime for other reasons and get their shows as a benefit.

If I had a subscription to Disney+ I would watch DuckTales and Talespin. Baloo the bear was Indiana Jones before he was Bill Murray. I believe The Mandalorian is the most pirated work in history, of any type.

I think Netflix is really starting to hurt by losing so much of the older material.  There's so much that used to be on Netflix that is now gone.

Amazon is a real wildcard because of just how wealthy the company is, plus integrating it with a Prime membership.  But their original programming is nothing remarkable.

Disney+ is actually pretty thin when you get down to it.  How many times are you going to watch Marvel movies or the animated classics?  It's probably better if you have kids because they have all the Disney channel shows, but the content for adults is pretty light.

There might be room for those three.  I think it's the others that might be in trouble.  What's the point of Hulu now that Disney owns it?  Who watches CBS All Access or Apple TV +?  Is there really room for Peacock - NBC's streaming service?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I agree that Amazon will survive as a tag on to Prime.  But if the other reasons to subscribe to Prime disappear, that service is also toast.  Netflix invests a lot of money in producing content and nobody else really does it to the same extent.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2020, 05:56:16 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 14, 2020, 05:44:08 PM

I think Netflix is really starting to hurt by losing so much of the older material.  There's so much that used to be on Netflix that is now gone.

Amazon is a real wildcard because of just how wealthy the company is, plus integrating it with a Prime membership.  But their original programming is nothing remarkable.

Disney+ is actually pretty thin when you get down to it.  How many times are you going to watch Marvel movies or the animated classics?  It's probably better if you have kids because they have all the Disney channel shows, but the content for adults is pretty light.

There might be room for those three.  I think it's the others that might be in trouble.  What's the point of Hulu now that Disney owns it?  Who watches CBS All Access or Apple TV +?  Is there really room for Peacock - NBC's streaming service?

Your forgot HBO Max, too. Warner has a really impressive library, with more diversity than Disney.

But even if the minnows like Apple (why?) and Hulu/NBC/CBS get shut down and they license out their libraries, that's still way too many platforms. I don't think the financials will make sense for all those fancy high-budget shows in such a fragmented market, and I don't think people will spend nearly 100 bucks to subscribe to several platforms, like in the good ole times of cable packages.

You forgot HBO in there.

MadImmortalMan

Content can and will be bought up. It's basically Bob Iger's lifestyle choice.

The minnows are trying to strike gold by having their own Game of Thrones-type must see content, but that can't last forever. And some of them are failing at it anyway. CBS actually thought STD was going to be their draw for a while. Heh.

I think in the end content creation won't be an in-house thing anymore. At least not exclusively. It'll be more like an auction where you make your show and then sell it to the highest bidder. That will make financing shows and movies much more interesting and chaotic. I think it will be good for us though. Look how many games and comics have come into existence due to crowdfunding. Really good ones, too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

The Economist had an article about how Netflix is following sort of an anti-Game of Thrones strategy.  Instead of staking everything on a must-see, they make a million shows that a handful of viewers, somewhere out there, will want to watch.  A niche product for every niche.

I personally think the HBO strategy is vulnerable.  What happens if your once a year monster is a dud?