Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2019, 03:35:07 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 21, 2019, 03:33:17 PM
OK, howl away then.

How about creating a nationalistic myth based on hate and lies that has real world implications? Is that worth howling about?
You mean like Gone with the Wind? ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 21, 2019, 02:58:40 PM
I don't know how I can appropriately vocalize how much I hate that film.
I think I have some kind of picture emerging in my head :P
You hate it because of your anti-nationalist sentiment, I get it.  But it ain't garbage, we'll just have to disagree on that. :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on October 21, 2019, 03:11:17 PM
Hush? Because that's an actual plot line from the comic books :D
ok, so I'm not much for accurately following books ;)

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2019, 03:23:09 PM
It's pure fantasy.
pure fantasy set in a historical period, then.

I never said it was historicaly accurate.  I said it was a good movie.

Berkut

I guess I just never considered it a historical movie at all, and hence never really got worked up over the history of it - which I get is probably more important to people who have some connection to the actual history. The historical figures were obviously not meant to reflect actual historical figures except to give a framework to the story.

For me, it was like watching a movie set in ancient China or Japan. The historicity simply isn't the point, I never even thought for a second about whether or not Scots would or would not use blue war paint. It did not even register as a thing to care about one way or the other.

And I get that I am probably a bit hypocritical about this, since stuff that I do see as trying to be historical - like Pearl Harbor - I get pretty howling mad about when they just butcher it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zoupa

Latest trailer is out for Star Wars. I'd forgotten the movie was even coming out.

The trailer was sorta terrible. This latest trilogy really didn't need to exist.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLXYfgpqb8A

For season 3 of The Crown they replaced the hottie Claire Foy with that dumpy chick from Broadchurch.  :(

Liep

Quote from: Zoupa on October 21, 2019, 11:10:40 PM
Latest trailer is out for Star Wars. I'd forgotten the movie was even coming out.

The trailer was sorta terrible. This latest trilogy really didn't need to exist.

Yeah, I don't think I ever felt this little watching a Star Wars trailer. Looks boring.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Predestination - advertised as some sort of cool time cop sort of thing. It's... Weird. OK. But weird.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Well, I bought my ticket for the Star Wars thing. *shrug*
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Yeah. I've enjoyed the new Star Wars quite a lot :ph34r:

Though, not as much as Rogue One which I loved.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

The trailer looked pretty but failed to muster much excitement on me.

Still, will be there opening weekend.

Tamas

Horses!

Also Palpatine on a walker is kinda' lame.

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 21, 2019, 11:43:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLXYfgpqb8A

For season 3 of The Crown they replaced the hottie Claire Foy with that dumpy chick from Broadchurch.  :(

bit more realistic
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011