News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

War Machine.  Brad Pitt plays General Glen McMahon, a thinly disguised version of General McChrystal, the guy given command of Afghanistan then fired by Obama shortly thereafter for comments published in a Rolling Stone article. 

This movie doesn't know what it wants to be, and feels like it was assembled by committee.  There's a Mother Jones type editorial about the pointlessness of counterinsurgency.  There's an Entourage type movie about the lovable knuckleheads on "McMahon's" immediate staff and their shenanigans.  There's a subplot about the strains on McMahon's marriage.  Of all people, they dusted off Meg Tilly to play his wife.  Tilda Swindon has one nice scene as a German legislator who grills McMahon about ambition, hubris, and unintended consequences.

One big takeaway is the Rolling Stone reporter did a hatchet job on McChrystal.

Liep

Batwoman. Ruby Rose plays a bad actor playing batwoman in a satirical take on cliches of the super hero genre.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on October 10, 2019, 03:59:01 PM"The Lighthouse" by the "The Witch" dude was simply amazing. Most upsetting film I watched in a while. Also pretty ripe for a Savoranola review.

I posted the trailer a while ago here, and it looked excellent - I like me some psycho-drama-thriller-horror that plays out like a chamber play, and that seems to fit the mold.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zoupa

El Camino, the breaking bad netflix movie. Underwhelming.

Admiral Yi

Sand Castles.  American soldier invades Iraq (I) even though he doesn't really want to be there.  One of his buddies dies, two get wounded, one of the nice Iraqis gets killed by bad Iraqis, then our hero gets sent home.  The moving story arc is supposed to be that he was unwilling at the beginning, but by the end he loves the good Iraqis, wants to help them, wants to stay, wants to fight, wants to win.

There's nothing terribly disagreeable about this movie but there's not a whole to it either.  I think they made it try and cash in on the success of movies like Hurt Locker or Jarhead.  Also the first movie I've seen in which Americans are driving M48s.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Zoupa on October 12, 2019, 11:16:42 PM
El Camino, the breaking bad netflix movie. Underwhelming.

Was a nice little epilogue for Jesse.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Indeed, which is all it needed to be.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Agree with Syt...felt very much like a long BB episode. It wasn't great, but it was easily good enough.

And what I like about it (and with BCS), is that yes, actors get older/fatter...but they don't bother with the pretense of trying to hide it/mask or seem to worry it.

Josephus

Yeah, underwhelming is a good description. It was Okaaaay.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 13, 2019, 05:05:52 AM
Agree with Syt...felt very much like a long BB episode. It wasn't great, but it was easily good enough.

And what I like about it (and with BCS), is that yes, actors get older/fatter...but they don't bother with the pretense of trying to hide it/mask or seem to worry it.

Had also just seen that Robert Forster (who plays Ed the Disappearer in this and BB) passed away just a few days ago too.  :(

Tonitrus

The Man Who Killed Hitler and then Bigfoot.

A nice little film.

Sheilbh

Both the original Ghostbusters films. Still very enjoyable. Ghostbusters 2 absolutely terrified me as a kid - the painting of Vigo was up there with Tim Curry as Pennywise in childhood terror.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sophie Scholl

Scourge of Carpathia, Sorrow of Moldavia, Vigo the Cruel, Vigo the Torturer, Vigo the Despised, Vigo the Unholy, you know:  Vigo the Carpathian!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."