News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 22, 2019, 08:56:05 AM
Another World - low budget special effects detract but not as much as the question the show posed for itself in episode 1 but never answered - why did they put a bunch emotionally unstable 20 somethings on that ship?

The crew are just batteries?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Highwaymen.  Hard boiled old Texas Rangers Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson get pulled out of retirement to hunt down Bonnie and Clyde.  Not a great deal happens in this movie except Kevin and Woody being crotchedy and hard boiled.

Savonarola

Woodstock: Three Days that Defined a Generation (2019)

PBS documentary on Woodstock for the 50th anniversary; this one provides a decent overview of the event.  It starts with a lengthy introduction to late 1960s America; especially the Viet-Nam War and the counter culture.  Then it gives an overview of how the festival came together; surprisingly it gives most of that time to the money people (John Roberts and Joel Rosenman) rather than the art people (Michael Lang does appear, but Artie Kornfeld is entirely absent.)  Then they go on to give a day by day coverage of the festival.  There's surprisingly little coverage of the music or the bands, and mostly interviews of the people that were there.  They put a fair amount of focus on the Hog Farm and Wavy Gravy; and even a bit on Max Yasgur.

All the film is done with archival footage; except for the few interviews from the festival the interviewees are never shown.  They almost all agreed that the experience was totally groovy  :cool:; but if you go down to the American Legion tonight, after about 11 their cohort will tell you that Viet-Nam was totally groovy too.   ;)

The background music mostly comes from the festival, except when they show people sleeping, then they play Sunday Morning by the Velvet Underground. :huh:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

New trailer for The Mandaolorian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOC8E8z_ifw

Feels a bit darker than expected from Disney.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on August 24, 2019, 01:04:21 AM

Herzog  :wub:

So, since Disney+ is expected to roll out in 2020+ for ROTW, how are we supposed to watch this legally?

Liep

It's weird, but I guess maybe I could revive my Robert Smith account from when Netflix weren't available in Denmark. Technically it's not illegal to impersonate an American as long as you pay the asking price. At least that's what I read somewhere online back then. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

I've been watching Dark. aka German Stranger Things.
It is indeed dark, the lighting sucks, which massively hinders enjoyment. And oh so slowwwww.
But....stick with it a few episodes and it does become rather good.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on August 24, 2019, 01:45:03 AM
So, since Disney+ is expected to roll out in 2020+ for ROTW, how are we supposed to watch this legally?
It will be available in the Netherlands on Nov 12th, same as US release date.  Maybe you could subscribe from there as you are part of the EU, I don't know...
Quote from: Liep on August 24, 2019, 02:10:56 AM
Technically it's not illegal to impersonate an American as long as you pay the asking price. At least that's what I read somewhere online back then. :P
It is illegal.  It is also illegal to use a VPN to circumvent the geo-block.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on August 24, 2019, 01:04:21 AM

Yay, can't wait. Wait, what.. I need to subscribe to another streaming service.

Yeah, fuck that.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

Or just wait until all the episodes are out and do a 1-month subscription...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

dps

Quote from: viper37 on August 24, 2019, 03:02:08 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 24, 2019, 01:45:03 AM
It will be available in the Netherlands on Nov 12th, same as US release date.  Maybe you could subscribe from there as you are part of the EU, I don't know...
Quote from: Liep on August 24, 2019, 02:10:56 AM
Technically it’s not illegal to impersonate an American as long as you pay the asking price. At least that’s what I read somewhere online back then. :P
It is illegal.  It is also illegal to use a VPN to circumvent the geo-block.

Where is it illegal?  If it's illegal in Canada, but legal in the Netherlands, then no one in the Netherlands really needs to worry about Canadian law. 

viper37

Quote from: dps on August 24, 2019, 08:05:12 PM
Where is it illegal?  If it's illegal in Canada, but legal in the Netherlands, then no one in the Netherlands really needs to worry about Canadian law. 
It is illegal as per the terms of service of Netflix to impersonate an American in other to subscribe to Netflix US from anywhere in the world.

Netflix US is for Americans since the content is licensed to Americans.  Netflix or other countries have only content licensed for users of these countries.

Illegal <> immoral.
If it was legal for someone in the Netherlands to subscribe to Netflix US, than Netflix US would offer its subscriptions to Dutch...  While as it is now, you can not sign in with a Dutch IP, no more than a Canadian IP.

There are ways to circumvent that, but they're illegal and against Neftlix's own TOS.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Ah, so it's not actually illegal, just a violation of the company's terms of service.

Maladict

Quote from: viper37 on August 24, 2019, 10:10:24 PM
Quote from: dps on August 24, 2019, 08:05:12 PM
It is illegal as per the terms of service of Netflix to impersonate an American in other to subscribe to Netflix US from anywhere in the world.

Netflix US is for Americans since the content is licensed to Americans.  Netflix or other countries have only content licensed for users of these countries.

Illegal <> immoral.
If it was legal for someone in the Netherlands to subscribe to Netflix US, than Netflix US would offer its subscriptions to Dutch...  While as it is now, you can not sign in with a Dutch IP, no more than a Canadian IP.

There are ways to circumvent that, but they're illegal and against Neftlix's own TOS.

Technically, it's not about nationality, but where you happen to be watching. I'm not able to watch Netflix while on holiday abroad. Nor am I able to watch Dutch public TV channel streams. I believe using a VPN to use a service I pay for is entirely justified.
That I also use it to download torrents is another matter.  :P

Zanza

Netflix teasered "El Camino", a movie set after the events of Breaking Bad including Jesse Pinkman. I will definitely watch it.