News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 19, 2019, 05:34:55 PM
Solo was the dullest Star Wars movie to date. And one of the prequels had galactic C-Span.

I thought it was a decent buddy movie and better than the two main story line movies.

I've given up on Arrested Development and am watching Derry girls.

Oexmelin

Since Tencent financed the new Top Gun movie (and since, I am guessing, they are hoping to make money in China), they removed the Taiwanese and Japanese flags from Maverick's jacket...
Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

THEY RUINED IT!!111  :mad:

Err, I actually don't remember his jacket having flags. :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 19, 2019, 08:30:40 PM
THEY RUINED IT!!111  :mad:

Err, I actually don't remember his jacket having flags. :unsure:

Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 19, 2019, 08:05:07 PM
Since Tencent financed the new Top Gun movie (and since, I am guessing, they are hoping to make money in China), they removed the Taiwanese and Japanese flags from Maverick's jacket...

I hope for the "San Francisco audience" that they still kept some kind of beach volley ball scene along with some double entendres.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2019, 01:15:29 AM
Trailer for The Witcher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSqi-8kAMmM

Looks all right, I guess.

Many of the comments are to the effect of "Black elves?? Fucking ruined, not watching."

I'm embarrassed to be a member of the human race.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 20, 2019, 06:29:57 AM
Many of the comments are to the effect of "Black elves?? Fucking ruined, not watching."

I'm embarrassed to be a member of the human race.

Those complainers may enjoy it, actually, since dwarves and elves in the Witcher universe are oppressed, discriminated against, and marginalized. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Sabrina season2.
Starts slow and boring, but picks up space mid way.  Ep5, I enjoy it so far.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

I don't care what you do, I wouldn't want to be like you.

I, Robot (2004)

Robots run amok in near future Chicago; and mankind's only hope is the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire!

The set designers, special effects people and costuming really did a fantastic job bringing an Asimovian world to life.  The story on the other hand; well let's see, Will shoots robots, cracks jokes, flirts with an uptight scientist, visits his grandmother in order to have sweet potato pie, saves the world and cures Shia Labeouf's potty mouth1..  That was bad enough, but the big surprise reveal is that [spoiler]while US Robotics created the robots to protect mankind; but then the robots take over![/spoiler]   Really, that's the big plot twist, the one that has existed since the word "Robot" entered the English language.

Allegedly there was a much better screenplay; but when Will Smith became involved in the project he insisted that he save the world since he had saved the world in all his films.  There are a lot of details that point to a better story; Will's technophobia, the fact that he always sleeps holding a hand canon, his constant references to his ex-wife.  These all remain unexplored in the film.

1.)  Actually Will cusses up a storm in this movie.  He might not need to cuss to sell records, but his movies need help.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

nice alan parsons reference
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

SO after bailing on Handmaid, I binged on a show I had PVR'd about six months ago. Escape from Danemorra. Now THAT's good television. Well worth it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Stalker (1979)

Sometime in the distant future a meteor, (or maybe aliens), crash in a small European country; creating an area called "The Zone."  The military tried to enter the area, but no one ever came back.  Today they quarantine off the area and allow no one to enter; but there are some guides who slip through and these are called "Stalkers."  In this film a Stalker (called "Stalker") guides a writer and a scientist (called "Writer" and "Scientist" respectively) into the heart of the Zone where one's greatest desire will be granted.

This is an Andrei Tarkovsky film so it's v-e-r-y s-l-o-o-o-w (the average shot length is 88 seconds) and way philosophical.  He does a great job of making the zone look unsettling without any special effects.  He does the "Wizard of Oz" thing where the real world is in sepia tones and the Zone is in color (though a moody, saturated color rather than the "Wizard of Oz's" glorious Technicolor.)  This leads to a clever reveal at the end [spoiler]in which the Stalker's crippled daughter's "Real" world is in color.[/spoiler]  This isn't going to be for everyone (if you thought "Solaris" was too quick paced than this film was made for you), but I enjoyed it.

I read on IMDB that the quarantined area around Chernobyl is called "The Zone" and that illegal guides call themselves "Stalkers."  (That is an unfortunate name choice in this day and age; but it is a transliteration of "Stalker" not the Russian language equivalent.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tonitrus

Also apparently, as the film was made in a derelict chemical factory site (and I believe had to be entirely re-shot a second time due to mishandling the film), Tarkovsky and some of the actors died early due to toxic exposure.

Admiral Yi

Eh, I don't get the reveal.