News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Syt

Doesn't look horrible, and I like that they acknowledge the silliness of him being a fighter pilot for the past 30+ years. :P (Certainly better than him being a hotshot turned desk jockey going in "for one last mission" as you often see in these kinds of movies.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 19, 2019, 04:53:00 AM
Just caught Seven Days in May on TCM.  Wow.  What a great movie!  I'd heard of it before, but this was my first time watching it.  Damn fine film!

:yes:

celedhring

Liked the Ad Astra trailer quite a bit. Got a certain 1970s sci-fi vibe to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxi6rtBtBM0

Michael Gray has always been way better with mood/setting that the actual storytelling of his movies though, so I'm a bit wary.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on July 19, 2019, 10:55:06 AM

Michael Gray has always been way better with mood/setting that the actual storytelling of his movies though, so I'm a bit wary.

It does remind me a little bit of Outland for some reason (which in my head canon is in the same universe as the Alien franchise).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Movie's release date has been pushed back a couple of times - not usually a good sign.

I'm always a sucker for "realistic" space movies though, so I'm curious (even if this one does apparently have a shoot-out between moon buggies).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

It certainly looks like it is set more in the past than the future.

I like the casting choices, but, like you, am unexcited about all three of the writer, director, and producer.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

Quote from: Josephus on July 19, 2019, 08:25:40 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 19, 2019, 03:39:13 AM
Solo - I was right not to bother with this one for so long. It just doesn't work on any level. Not for Star Wars fandom nor as a film of its own.

Yeah, it's been on my "to watch list" on Netflix for a year, and it isn't drawing me to it

I thought it was worth seeing for Childish Gambino's Lando, otherwise it was meh.  It seemed like the "Plot" existed only to tie the action scenes together (which is how "Beat" Takeshi Kitano writes his movies; but Ron Howard is no Kitano.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

FunkMonk

Solo was decidedly average but still a better movie than TLJ, Rogue One, and maybe TFA.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

viper37

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 19, 2019, 01:20:46 PM
Solo was decidedly average but still a better movie than TLJ, Rogue One, and maybe TFA.
take that back, you monster!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

Stranger Things: S3.

So much 80's cheese and a way over-the-top...but done spectacularly well. 

[spoiler]I think my favorite subtle 80's pop-culture callout is the secret Russian base having the same "we're all doomed" alarm sound as the Death Star. :cool: [/spoiler]

viper37

Pandora

New sci-fi series from The CW.

Mixed feelings about this one.  The first half is about a group of young adults hanging together while training at a military academy following a weird alien attack on the lead character's colony.

Lots of nonsensical stuff, some sci-fiesque stuff.  The 2nd half is about the lead, Jax, investigation and discovery of what actually happenned to her colony.  There some unanswered questions and from there, it could go both ways: the show delves more&more into a character driven arc with a group of young adults hanging out together, or they could go really sci-fiesque, with a good mix of Starship Troopers and Space:Above&Beyond thrown into it.

The special effects are nothing to write home about.  Basic semi-decent CGI.  I would imagine a tv show would throw a lot into its pilot, sorta like Battlestar Galactica.  They do have one Alien in makeup as a series regular.  Might be where the budget went.

I will need to watch the 2nd episode before I totally make my mind.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 19, 2019, 01:20:46 PM

No way.
Rogue One= genuinely good.
TFA= decent retro homage
TLJ= bad... But it's at least proper star wars and has a worthwhile plot.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Solo was the dullest Star Wars movie to date. And one of the prequels had galactic C-Span.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 19, 2019, 01:25:26 PM
Stranger Things: S3.

So much 80's cheese and a way over-the-top...but done spectacularly well. 

[spoiler]I think my favorite subtle 80's pop-culture callout is the secret Russian base having the same "we're all doomed" alarm sound as the Death Star. :cool: [/spoiler]

I'm at the same episode and I'm finding the increased cheese levels a bit hard to digest. The tone feels a bit off compared to the previous seasons. They felt more "real".