Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on May 27, 2019, 03:02:29 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 27, 2019, 12:39:38 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 27, 2019, 02:02:01 AM
Revisited Amelie. Such a charming movie.

According to some leftist luminaries around here, it was a petainist movie.  :lmfao:

I was confused by that scene where she starts chanting "famille, travail, patrie"

Is that the Director's Cut, a US-only feature for the upcoming UHD Criterion release?  :P

Admiral Yi

Been watching Youtube clips of Chernobyl.  Very entertaining, very well made.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2019, 11:25:03 AM
Been watching Youtube clips of Chernobyl.  Very entertaining, very well made.

+1
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grey Fox

Lonely Islands' Bash Brothers experience on Netflix.

So good, so so good.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2019, 08:29:22 AM

So good, so so good.

How does it compare with Tour the Pharmacy or 7 days in Hell?

Josephus

I thought the most recent episode of Chernobly (ep 4) was good. The pet-hunting was a bit of a diversion from the regular story.
One thing I'm realizing though...fuck we're lucky the whole planet isn't a waste heap. Things could have gotten so much worse there.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

Brother from Another Planet (1984)

Wildly uneven indie film that varies between a Saturday Night Live skit and one of the grittier Blaxploitation films (and, like any good "Police Academy" movie, it has a dozen scenes that could be shown in any order without changing the plot.)  Still it has its moments.  The film is about a mute dark skinned human-looking slave who crashes in New York and flees to Harlem; where he deals with social services, junkies, barflies, nightclub owners and America's zany race relations.  Meanwhile two slave catchers (who seem to be based on a cross between the Cone Heads and Dragnet; possibly an inspiration for Dan Aykroyd's Joe Friday) are in pursuit.  Hilarity and revenge killing ensue.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Quote from: Josephus on May 30, 2019, 10:02:05 AM
I thought the most recent episode of Chernobly (ep 4) was good. The pet-hunting was a bit of a diversion from the regular story.
One thing I'm realizing though...fuck we're lucky the whole planet isn't a waste heap. Things could have gotten so much worse there.

Yeah the pet-hunting got too much space I think. The series is definitely very good though.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on May 30, 2019, 09:47:20 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2019, 08:29:22 AM

So good, so so good.

How does it compare with Tour the Pharmacy or 7 days in Hell?

I do not know. I had never heard of Lonely Island before Netflix pop the latest offering in my recommendations.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Deadwood: the Movie. I had no idea Anna Gunn was in the cast.

Also saw a show called Barry on HBO. Hit man decides to quit and become an actor. Best part is the Chechen mob boss.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

First episode of Good Omens. Good start, capturing the book very well. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 01, 2019, 08:17:50 PM
Deadwood: the Movie. I had no idea Anna Gunn was in the cast.

Also saw a show called Barry on HBO. Hit man decides to quit and become an actor. Best part is the Chechen mob boss.

I knew Bullock had a wife, but yeah when I was watching breaking bad, I never made that connection
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Barry is great. Haven't caught up with season 2 though, too busy...

I really want to watch the Deadwood movie, but I feel like I should rewatch the entire show first (it was long ago...) and that won't happen anytime soon...

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on June 03, 2019, 02:27:33 AM

I really want to watch the Deadwood movie, but I feel like I should rewatch the entire show first (it was long ago...) and that won't happen anytime soon...

I started to watch Season 3 again, got about half way through and stopped.

Here's what you need to know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6QboNS6FRM
Civis Romanus Sum

Eddie Teach

No Powers Boothe in that clip.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?